3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help...NO OIL PRESSURE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes...that is what I thought...0 male goes inbetween 00 female...and there is no other way possible.

It also tells me that my your truck has Cummins Parts from India....and mine Brazil...I will have to vote for the land of beautiful woman! LOL.

OK...here was last nights project...all of the front of the truck was allready off for the oil pump...

I removed the timing cover (it was loose and clean...and just there to keep my internals clean), rotated the engine till I could get to the (2) 13 mm cam retaing clip bolts.

Reached unger the cowel, pulled the two rubber plugs out (The clearance holes for the push rods), pulled the valve cover back off....left the lower rocker cover on, and pulled the rockers back off...

I number bags and put each rocker assembly and labeled push rods into a clean bag...

I then intalled the slotted wood dowels (thanks Nathan Wright!) into the tappets...lifted them up...taped the dowels (or rubber band) together...so the tappets don't fall. I can give the specs on the wood dowels after I remove them...if any one is intersted...

Unbolt the (8) 13 mm crossmember bolts...slid it towards the driverside...then tap it a little further with a hammer (firm blow or two), protect the timing cover/internals from cuttings, and go to town with the sawzall. Only the top portion has to come off. I built a cap to bolt over the top of the portion removed...I will show that later...

MARK (INDEX) THE GEAR!!!!!!!

Carefully then pull the cam out...it will take a little time...but just wiggle and turn softley...till it comes out. Be carefull to not force anything...since the journals are soft...and the cam is hard and sharp!

All the way out of the truck...on the bench... There was NO wear! Notice my sweet beer coozy...

I did put a small...scratch in the front journal...but I am not going to worry about it...right next to the oil feed hole.

Unwrap the allmighty Helix 2!

I still think everything is looking great in my engine...

I will install the Helix 2 on Sunday...after I get back from the lake...

Till then...but let the conversation fly!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Banned

good job christian. actually that pic is from my classroom engine. I have a 2002 12v for my students to tear down and play with.[IMG][/IMG] the turbo is polished too.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice tech boys!!!
Thanks for posting the pics and tips

Nice koozy too
Old 06-29-2007, 11:50 AM
wap

Nice write up, that makes me want to do a cam even more. If I could find somebody down south to give me a hand and or some pointers as I go I wouldnt hesitate after the $ was ready but I just dont have the confidence right now. What did you use to slide in under the tappets after the cam was out? Or is that "trough thingy" not necessary for just a cam swap?

Chris thats away to step up and help out another member, if we still had points I would give ya one cause not a whole lot of us have access to the info you do.

Oh, yeah that coozy is great too, but I think I would have to pic a differant beverage to go in it
Old 06-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned

the "trough thingy" or the dowels are neccessary. either one. will, it is nice having a toy like that in my office, i could always rip a part off and take a pic or measurement if someone were to need the info. i bought it from cummins in indiana as a burned up warranty motor, 2 pistons melted. so i fixed it, and it runs good.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:00 PM

Will, I have not done a cam on a CTD before but with the knowledge & willingness to help of the guys on this board I would not hesitate to take the job on...even if you got stuck on something or was worried you could snap a pic and have it answered before the end of the day most times!!!
this board is the best for a reason...you can do it!!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
wap

Chris if you get a chance call me later, I got a smary question for ya.
Also how can you use the trough without the dowels?

Mark by the time I have the funds to do a cam, springs, stick and a cp3 I may just do it anyway. the whole thing I worry about it the tappets and getting the gear pressed off and on.

And I think this was answered earlier but, other than springs there is nothing esle needed to run a helix 2?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

will, i forgot to call you last night sorry.
will do today. students are taking a midterm right now anyway. ring
Old 06-29-2007, 12:27 PM

NOPE. Enjoy a 2+ mpg pick up too!

The dowels are required...to keep the tappets up. The "half" pipe is needed if you want to change the tappet...it catches it before it drops into the oil pan once you let go from the top. Mine will (I HOPE) stay hanging from the dowels till I reinstall the Helix on sunday. Any decent large machine shop has a press and bunch of different support plates to be able to handle the gear. I had to only walk across the street...lol.

The tappets on these trucks are VERY hard...I assume they look as good as the OEM cam...whioch was perfect...so I am NOT going to worry about replacing them. The machine shop guy...ole' Henry who is 80 has never seen a cam with that many miles...look that good. He chuckled for a while...and then said...I thought you had a real challengr for me...I am more used to cams twice that size!...LOL
Old 06-29-2007, 05:21 PM

cquestad, excellent post! very informative and incouraging.

excellent pics Dogezilla 04, i wish i had your job.

man yalls 3rd gen high perf section makes me want to sell my 2nd gen, to come join yall, i m jeaslous.
keep up the good work.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 AM

Whick was does the crank turn... facing the motor?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 PM

Bump...does anyone know which way the engine cranks?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:09 PM

Should be clockwise looking at the front.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by SAVOY1964
Should be clockwise looking at the front.
yep, that is correct
Old 07-02-2007, 10:49 PM

I put a Helix cam and new Cummins lifters in my truck this weekend bout 16 hours hard work would have been less except ended up on plans B and C to reinstall the new lifters pm me if you need details

Quick Reply: Help...NO OIL PRESSURE!