3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help...NO OIL PRESSURE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be in a meeting from 7-9 eastern time. Call anytime before or after.
BTW- When it happened to us the truck had been down for a couple weeks. When we test fired it we had 0 oil pressure and 0 flow. We even pulled the oil lines off of the amsoil full bypass kit. Nothing, nodda. Pulled the relief valve, cleaned and reinstalled. Pressure was back and good to go.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
I VISUALLY CHECKED...OEM gauge is ruled out...

I have worst than 0 psi...I have 0 psi and NO FLOW.

Loyd...thanks...will call you later. Don't answer if it is too late...LOL.
Ah...didn't catch that in the first post!

Sorry 'bout that!
Chris
Old 06-04-2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Imills...can you PM me your phone number...so I can ask you a few questions...thanks.

I can do anything till tonight...will pull the pipes off...and start with the cooler.

I should pull the pan too...I guess to get the debree out of there...which I was just told will take me a while...the engine has to be lifted up some so the pan can clear the pick up tube?

Arrrrhhhhhhhh!

Unless it was a total shaft failure on the turbo it would be very difficult for any debris to make it to the oil.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 PM

Man!....not the Cquestad mobile!! Llyod's advice sounds pretty solid, but Im sure your already trying it!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bumpin this back up, hows it comin CQ?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:35 AM

Had to work all night on my rental house...so that the new tenants can move in...did not do squat...tonight it is.

It was not a total shaft failure...but is was a total bearing failure. I found one of the retaining clips wedged in the drain line. The smaller half went through...and who knows what else.

How much do I need to raise the engine up to drop the pan? What has to come off the front..accersory wise to get the timing cover off?

I am sure that I will waste hours reading the service manual later...but thanks anyways.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:49 AM

To take the front cover off you will need to remove the serpentine belt and the tensioner. Unbolt the fan hub from the engine and remove the balancer. On the power steering pump, spin the pulley till the bolts line up, remove them, then spin pump out of the way.

Not sure how much you will have to jack up to drop the pan.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 AM

The SAGA continues...

I pulled off the cold piping, removed oil feed lines, removed the battery and yanked the oil cooler out.

You could say...I am getting tight with the ole cummins now. I might as well become a full tiem mechanic after this...

Big mess...lol. Drain ALL of your coolant....not just enough to get below the collant line that flows under the manifold. There is a couple gallons on my shop floor now....with oil droplets floating in it...kinda a redneck lava lamp.

Orange Hoat with black floaties...anyways...back on topic.

The relief valve/metering valve was JAMMED! Whatever made it throw the oil pickup screen and through the pump scored the crud out of the the metering valve "bore". It took a healty pop with a punch to get it out of the bore...it slides now...but I think it need to be replaced...lol.

I will post pics as soon...when they get approved.

The saga will continue soon...

Should we take a vote? Play it safe and replace the oil pump? I am just a empty radiator, intercooler, push bar/bumper, fan, and timing cover away?

I think so...but lets hear it?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:17 AM

I would... cheap insurance... you're already this deep...
Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
gonna be easier to pop off the cooler first and spend time cleaning it incase there is metal there.
for the pump, you have to get the gear cover off and just pull the pump, you dont have to remove anything else, the pump is held in with 4 bolts, fits in a cavity, and had a dowel pin to locate it. really nice design.remove the filter and crank it. see if oil is present there. it goes from pick up screen, to pump, to press reg valve to cooler, to filter(with a bypass) the to oil galleries.the reg valve is the angled plug facing upwards on the cooler, just foward of the filter.(at least on a 12v)you can remove the plug and pull the plunger to see if its sticking. the filter bypass is inside the cooler housing.
I love being right, it happens rarely......
Old 06-06-2007, 12:01 PM
wap

I would with out a doubt change the pump. For the time and $ you have invested in that motor the time and $ it will take to replace it would be worth it. Also I dont think it is a common failure but if I remember correctly you have well over 100k on the clock so it sure aint gona hurt anything to replace it.

Glad you found you problem and good luck getting back to gether.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:36 PM

Sorry about the trouble but glad you found it. Sounds like a lot of junk floating around in the motor. If it were me I'd bite the bullet and drop the pan as well. Then when I put it all back together I try to flush the engine as much as possible and plan on changing filters after the first start up - I'd probably change the oil again as well. Good Luck
Old 06-06-2007, 02:05 PM

I say replace the pump also, cheap insurance, and it sounds to me like you have another vehicle to drive when the truck is down

just my opinion
Old 06-06-2007, 03:35 PM

I have too many others...lol. I miss my Dodge!

Here are the pics...see the scoring?

I ordered a pump too...there is a new on...that superceedes the past ones...MUST BE BETTER! Cheaper too...ussually that mean DC has had to replace a few under warranty...HMMMMM.....

I bought...a new cover $67, plunger $205 (OUCH), pump $135, oring $1, relieve valve $8 (I am not goint to try an get that thing...I am assuming it is the orange looking thing pressed into the case...need to look for a weep hole on the other side???), spring $1...

Looks like I know what I am doing this weekend again...lol.

Printing shop manual pages for the pump pull now.

And on and on and on...
Old 06-06-2007, 08:19 PM

Christian, if you need any help, give me a shout. I will have my phone on me. As I mentioned earlier it is a piece of cake. Might as well do the cam while you are there. LOL

Quick Reply: Help...NO OIL PRESSURE!