3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help...NO OIL PRESSURE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...NO OIL PRESSURE!

Ok...man what a tough weekend.

Got the truck all buttoned up...looking great...feeling great.
Bumped the starter a few times to prime/charge the fuel system...and let er rip.

Fired right away...interior gauges show oil pressure...20 seconds later...OEM Gauge drops to zero! I kill it.

Check to see if there IS oil in the truck...plenty.

Start it agin...same story after 20 seconds...zero pressure. Pull the top turbos oil feed line...start truck again...it should fill a gallon jug in 30 seconds...run again for 20 seconds...NOTHING.

I know RCCox lost his pump after he grenaded one of his turbos...what gives?

What's my next step?

I still have the oil in the truck from when I grenaded the A5k. I was going to change it (several time probably) after intial start up and visual/leak etc test.

I am going to hate having to pull off all the cold piping to get to my oil pump (I am assuming it is the assembly to which the filter screws onto)!

RCCOX? HELP!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Banned

the assembly the filter screws to is the cooler. there is a relief(bypass) valve in the cooler assembly. the oil pump is passenger side lower under the timing cover. will need a 10 mm socket to remove the 4 bolts.
you may have a little piece of metal in the bypass holding it open, or you killed the gerotor pump.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't think if it was the pump that it would initially show any pressure. Now, if the relief valve that dodezilla refered to was bad that would make sense. The pump would start to move oil through the cooler but then as it starts to have to push it up into the engine it creates enough pressure that that valve opens letting it bypass. Course it would have to be a big enough valve and passage to bypass all the oil from the pump resulting in no pressure. Where is the sending unit on these engines? Could be a bad sendor. I had that happen in an old gasser once. It was pegging my gauge on start up and after I finally changed the sendor everything was normal again.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:59 PM

Who knows what the OEM gauge does...it may go to normal right away...then sample ever 10 seconds...for <5, <60, or 0 psi?

So...

Pull the pump? Look at the bypass?

I am not running the engine ANYMORE till I find the problem.

It is not the sensor...re read my post. I visually checked with the top turbo's oil feed line. Not one drop in several 15-20 second runs.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:07 PM

Sorry about the trouble. I'd start with the bypass and then pull the pump. I would think that if you are getting nothing at the turbo feed that you will find no oil to the suction side of the pump or a broken pump. I hope not and am a shade tree mechanic at best so don't go to the bank on my advice. Someone who is will chime in but in the meantime don't start it with no oil to the turbo...
Old 06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Banned

gonna be easier to pop off the cooler first and spend time cleaning it incase there is metal there.
for the pump, you have to get the gear cover off and just pull the pump, you dont have to remove anything else, the pump is held in with 4 bolts, fits in a cavity, and had a dowel pin to locate it. really nice design.remove the filter and crank it. see if oil is present there. it goes from pick up screen, to pump, to press reg valve to cooler, to filter(with a bypass) the to oil galleries.the reg valve is the angled plug facing upwards on the cooler, just foward of the filter.(at least on a 12v)you can remove the plug and pull the plunger to see if its sticking. the filter bypass is inside the cooler housing.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Banned

are you out troubleshooting, or just looking elsewhere right now? hope you figure it out.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:22 PM

check the bypass valve first. I have seen it stick before on a truck that was down for a couple weeks. Pull the big bolt looking plug out of the top of the filter head. Use a magnet to retrieve the spring and relief valve. Clean and reinstall.

edit- it's the 19 mm bolt towards the front of the filter head
Old 06-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned

i am glad lloyd jumped in here.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cquestad

It is not the sensor...re read my post. I visually checked with the top turbo's oil feed line. Not one drop in several 15-20 second runs.
Sorry! Apparently the ol' memory ain't workin' too good today.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 PM

Imills...can you PM me your phone number...so I can ask you a few questions...thanks.

I can do anything till tonight...will pull the pipes off...and start with the cooler.

I should pull the pan too...I guess to get the debree out of there...which I was just told will take me a while...the engine has to be lifted up some so the pan can clear the pick up tube?

Arrrrhhhhhhhh!
Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 PM

pm sent.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:23 PM

Not sure

Hey I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly RC didn't just lose his oil pump. I think some of the junk from a busted turbo also clogged the piston cooling injectors in a couple of the cylinders.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 PM

Why don't you put a mechanical gauge on it to rule out a bad gauge in the factory dash??

Other than that, I would check the relief valve first...it's the only easy thing to check! Everything else is harder!

Chris
Old 06-04-2007, 02:45 PM

I VISUALLY CHECKED...OEM gauge is ruled out...

I have worst than 0 psi...I have 0 psi and NO FLOW.

Loyd...thanks...will call you later. Don't answer if it is too late...LOL.

Quick Reply: Help...NO OIL PRESSURE!