3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

HELP! Need to adjust shift points and Lockup 48RE

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Need to adjust shift points and Lockup 48RE

Thanks for viewing first of all !! I really need some insite or suggestions !! Thank you so much for taking you time to read thru the following story.......

Im in a little bit of a fix . To give you a run down of my problem ... With my 05 CTD Bullydog downloader set to 90 hp and TST at 4/4 I broke my flexplate

.... so I said Ok thats not a problem I will just upgrade the stock flexplate to a billet flexplate from ATS Diesel Performance. Well while I had the tranny out I installed the ATS Triple lock torque converter also. I figured while I was there this would be a good thing to do in case of future mods... so forth.....

Well long story short the install went fine. I now have the ATS billet flexplate and ATS triplelock torque converter installed.

Here is where I need help..

My 1,2 2,3 and 3,4 shifts feel smooth but when lockup comes on well it snaps my neck it does a harsh almost feels like you move forward and back when under mid to upper mid throttle with truck empty.

With the stock converter lockup would slip a bit to give me a smooth lockup but this new converter has no slip at all. It is not very streetable unless you are at WOT where it shifts good and firm.

Is there any device that I can buy that will bring lockup on after 60 mph ?

when shifting into 4th lockup comes right on and its too soon at too low of an rpm causing this buck or sling back motion. Under WOT or hard throttle its firm and not bucking.

All the devices I have seen so far will allow you to lockup at 15 mph and thats fine if you are sitting at the light and want to race someone but for normal every day driving I would be just fine for lockup to come on well after 4th gear to eliminate this shift.

I was able to modify the electronics enough to get lockup to come on at 3rd and stay in lockup going into 4th but this is just as bad It really snaps your neck then. I realize that this converter has no slip it is "bam" and its in lockup .

Any help or advice would be great. Thanks a million !
Old 07-29-2005, 03:36 AM
Tire Hater

I'm pretty sure you can cut wire #1 or #7 on the round connector and run both sides of the wire up to a switch. When the switch is off, the wire never gets ground and will not lock up the TC, but I'm unsure if it will set a code. I can't remember if it's wire 1 or 7 though (the plug has wire #'s)
Old 07-29-2005, 06:38 AM

THANKS !!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:39 AM

Mopar - I ran into the same problem after installing a TC, VB & Flexplate. The TC would lock in 3rd then the transmission would slam into 4th (OD). In an attempt to smooth out that shift I am now in transmission hell (for the last 6 months). I wish I was back to just having to deal with the crashing 3-4 shift.

Be careful my friend & I wish you luck!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:02 PM

Did you install the TC without the ATS VB? I would think that would be less than optimal. I would also think a shop that sells you a $$$$ TC should provide some troubleshooting help after it's installed. BTW, this is one this I like about DTT's tighter fluid coupling approach to TCs. Since the converter is tighter in a fluid state, the RPM difference from unlocked to locked is less, resulting in less whiplash when it locks. That said, I know of many people happy with their ATS tranny's, so I'd start with calling them to see if they can help you work the kinks out. Let us know how it goes!

P.S. I would be careful about using the mystery switch to keep the TC locked unless you upgrade(d) to a billet input shaft, but for your purpose of keeping the TC UNlocked, it should be fine if used carefully. I wish I could help with the wire #'s...