3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help me troubleshoot my bully dog

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me troubleshoot my bully dog

Ok well I've always had issues with my triple dog but its finally on 2.4.d Crazy Larry. I also have a power puck and a quad boost fooler. When I load up the crazy larry there is basicly no difference over stock until I flip on the puck in which case it makes more power than the puck alone makes. It almost seems as if the bullydog is stuck in tow safe. Even switching between all the levels you can't tell any difference. What could my problem be? I've loaded and unloaded the programmer many times with the same results.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:44 AM

try removing the boost fooler. some people have reported issues trying to use the bdtd with the quad boost fooler.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
try removing the boost fooler. some people have reported issues trying to use the bdtd with the quad boost fooler.
Done that more than once, the boost fooler is not my issue. Why would tow feel the same as Crazy larry???????
Old 03-16-2008, 02:07 AM

that might be a question for buddy- when i load crazy larry, it is very obvious that i'm now running c/l. what does it feel like when you run it on perf. or extreme? is this only a problem when running c/l?
Old 03-16-2008, 02:09 AM

that might be a question for buddy- when i load crazy larry, it is very obvious that i'm now running c/l. what does it feel like when you run it on perf. or extreme? is this only a problem when running c/l?
Thats what I'm trying to say, Crazy larry, performance, and tow safe all feel the same. Its like I only gain 20 hp with the bullydog alone on the truck
Old 03-16-2008, 02:13 AM

i'd shoot buddy a pm, and explain your situation. did you ever post about this problem before? i remember seeing a similar thread a while back.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:22 AM

I have with other issues and I included this one, it is driving me crazy especialy considering the cost of a triple dog.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:35 AM

i've never had issues with mine, but i've heard that they perform better on the '04.5 and newer ctd's. i've also heard that the c/l tune is not nearly as strong on the '03-'04 trucks, but hopefully buddy will have something that will help you out.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stainless
I have with other issues and I included this one, it is driving me crazy especialy considering the cost of a triple dog.
Crazy Larry does not exist on 03's. Your highest setting is Extreme, but yes I know it says Crazy Larry. still should be 130hp.

Bullydog isn't nearly as impressive on 03-04's as compared to 04.5+.

have you tried removing the puck?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:56 AM

Thats what I'm trying to say, Crazy larry, performance, and tow safe all feel the same. Its like I only gain 20 hp with the bullydog alone on the truck
My BDTD acts the same way on my 03. I can't tell much of a difference.

i'd shoot buddy a pm, and explain your situation. did you ever post about this problem before? i remember seeing a similar thread a while back.
Go ahead and try to pm Buddy, I've tried a couple times, and also left messages via telephone. The customer service sucks from Bully Dog.

I hear ya, My BDTD was not cheap. I think I'll find someone with an 05 or newer and try to sell it to them. (They seem to work great on 05's and newer) I may just throw it in the trash and buy a SMARTY. I wish someone would have warned me about the lack of performance these things have on the 03's and 04's BEFORE I bought it.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:32 PM

Stupid question but I have to ask.

When you change power levels are you hitting enter after you switch levels?
The 2.4._ Versions started requiring you to select yes after changing power levels. I know before that you just scrolled to the level and it changed.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by RunninLean
Stupid question but I have to ask.

When you change power levels are you hitting enter after you switch levels?
The 2.4._ Versions started requiring you to select yes after changing power levels. I know before that you just scrolled to the level and it changed.
That's a good question.

You shouldn't need the boost fooler on top of the puck. I believe the puck does boost fooling.

Are your lift and CP3 pumps stock? Anytime you stack you will eventually where stock pumps out.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:20 AM

Bud, did you notice the "03" in his sig. did you guys "mass release" the CL tune for 03-04?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Summit
Bud, did you notice the "03" in his sig. did you guys "mass release" the CL tune for 03-04?
Not really a Crazy Larry tune as it was only about 10HP More on the fueling map for the 2003s early 2004s. But it was a little better in the version 2.4.D that he is talking about. It is the same as V2.4.1 Crazy Larry.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:01 PM

I really should put more in my sig, the truck has an airdog. And I have been running with the fooler off. The puck though does not do fooling it is strictly pressure. I tried putting it back to stock pulling the battery cables for about 2 min running it and then reloading the tune(I was told this could help and anything is worth a shot) to no avail. I also used another programmer which added much more power so I dont belive it is my truck.

Is there a better version for me to run than 2.4.d?

Quick Reply: Help me troubleshoot my bully dog