3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help! Had leveling kit installed and now i have a poping in my steering..

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welp its raining...time to go lay under the truck and get nice and wet tightening blots
Old 11-27-2006, 06:33 PM

ok..i think i isolated the problems...the squeaking is coming from the shock at the bottom bolt of each..i can get under the truck and push up on the bottom of the shock to make it do it...its wierd bc it barely takes any presure to make it squeak. second i got under there and tightened (or tried to) everything on the track bar...then i had my buddy get in there and crank the wheel left and right. couldnt hear anything with it sitting still but i could feel some poping thru the track bar while he was turning the wheel lock to lock. i just kept my hand on it the whole time. nothing seemed loose or stood out to me. my question is now what? do i just grease the bushings on the track arm and see if that works, and should i try to do as patriot said with a crow bar at the bottom of the shock tower to try and move it up? Im just wondering why i havent seen this problem with the poping posted up more bc there are many trucks with leveling kits on them that ppl say they have no problem with...thanks in advance for any help/suggestions....Jason

Oh yea..the bolts at the bottom of shock are tight...i couldnt budge them..and like i said the leveling kit has been on for 250 miles...just the drive back from dallas...plus my truck only has 5,000 miles on it..so i dont see how anything could already be wearing badly...
Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 PM

Yes I thought mine were tight too till I heard the noise. I really had to crank them down. I think the stock shock is slightly narrower than the Bilstein shocks and you have to tighten them enough to "bend" or distort the shock mount in order to compress it enough to clamp on the new shocks steel sleeve so it won't move. Or you could try a thin washer of some kind but it might be pretty hard to get in there.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:23 PM

Ive Run Leveling Kits On Two Of My Trucks With Stock Shocks, Never Had Rattles Like That
Old 01-05-2007, 03:27 PM

Happend to me on my 06 it has something to do with when you install a leveling kit it loosens up bolts with your suspension. What you need to do is tighten up all your front end suspension parts, thats what made mine go away. I wasnt able to fint out the exact part but just made sure to tghten everything up and it went away, or should i say the dodge mechanics bouldnt find out what it was it took 3 of them and about 3hrs and they were clueless.