3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

HELP! Gonna Torch my Truck - HELP! (Tank Vent Install)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP! Gonna Torch my Truck - HELP! (Tank Vent Install)

As the title states, I'm about to torch my truck out of frustration... there are not enough explitives in the english language to describe the rage and frustration I have for my truck and every person who had any input into its design.

With that said, I am "trying" to install the glacier diesel tank vent kits I bought about three years ago. I got all the tools together was ready to go, I got the sending unit connector off and one of the fuel line connections..... and then it happened, I tried to get the second fuel line off. Needless to say after six (yes "6") hours I finally had to give up.

Apparently my truck is different from the photos i've seen and found on here of everyone else's sending unit/fuel connections. All the photos i've found have the electrical connection in the middle and a fuel connection on each side of it. MY USELESS heap of garbage truck has both fuel connections to the right of the electical connection(when viewed from drivers side). The problem with this is that the two fuel connections are nearly touching each other leaving no space to compress the release buttons.

Why is this a problem on my truck? It is because of the 90degree elbow for the outer most (farthest to the left when views from drivers side) fuel connection is so close to the other connection that I CAN NOT get anything to push the bottom release button on the fuel line as it is blocked by the elbow for the other fitting. There also is not enough space under the connection to slide something under it. I have no problem pushing the release on the top of the fitting but the bottom is completly unreachable. I have tried to rotate the hose to gain access to it, but it wont turn far enough and it will only block the other release button due to the electical connection being so close. I also can not get any type of tool in there to rotate it further due to the confined space.

I have tried the following items and tools to get under the connection and push on the way too small of a tab to release the fitting. Screw drivers, allen wrenches, zip ties, dental style picks, bailing wire and of course my fingers. NOTHING IS WORKING!!!!! I can't take my bed off due to my cap being on it and not having the ability/facility to take it off. And even if it was off, I still don't know what one could use to get to the release.

I am out of ideas and out of words to tackle this problem. I am now calling out to all the DTR Diesel Masters to please come to my rescue. Is there a special tool? Other suggestions for tools? Other Methods to try? Should I just cut the line and worry about it after the tank is down? Something..... Anything???

Thank you all, Mike
Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not that hard drop the tank, just make sure to siphon all the fuel out of it first. Use a floor jack with about a 3-4ft-long board to support and lower it after you get the filler tube out and straps off. just keep an eye on the lines/wires in case they start to bind at some point. You can probably get it down far enough before that happens to pull the pickup/sending unit and then do whatever with it. Please don't torch it. Probably take a couple hours, tops.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Remove your drive shaft first. This makes access to the top of the tank alot easier. As mentioned above, just put a floor jack under the tank and lower it down 6" so you can get in there and get the job done. As for the connection, I have always used a small flathead screw driver with about a
45* bend on the last 3/8" of it to get to the lower button. Don't forget to push in on the connector while pressing the buttons, when you feel them release, pull out.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:30 PM

JFlory, I'll see if your screw driver trick will do it for me. The difficulty of it is that its not really a button but more just a thin piece of plastic you have to push on. Getting anything to get a good grab on it seems to be a big hurdle.

Thanks for the input so far everyone.

Mike
Old 06-27-2009, 10:04 PM

i just installed my airdog today and had to drop my tank. my truck is set up the same way with both fuel lines next to each other. a grey and blue connector. They are both the same connector. i used a small flathead screwdriver to push the clips in and push out at the same time. dont drop the fuel tank too much or you will either bend your fuel line or break something, there isnt much room before they take strain. removing your driveshaft does help but i was able to get mine fuel lines off without removing the driveshaft. you dont have to be a little guy with small arms to do it either. if you need a hand, send me a PM and i will give you myt phone number to explain it better.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:22 PM

Wrap a ziptie around it and tighten her down and all should be good!
Good luck
Old 06-28-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What he sead!
Old 06-28-2009, 10:23 PM

Being the adventurous sort I didn't do much research before I put in my tank vent. I managed to break the connector on one of the fuel lines when I disconnected them and dropped my tank. My son was helping and he ran off to the local auto parts store and picked up some spares. Haven't had any problems in about 2 years of running it.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:45 PM

Equalizer 2, Just in case this job gets ugly, do you know what the connector is called?

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm going to take another shot at it tomorrow morning. I had to drive the better halfs honda civic to the union picnic today instead of the truck... I'm going to remain hopefuly for tomorrow.

Mike