3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

HELP, EGT's

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP, EGT's

I went to the mountains this weekend and pulled my fifth wheel (40' toy hauler). My truck will go as fast as I want it to but my EGT's would climb over 1350 if I went over 45mph. What if anything can I do to keep them lower.
How high can the EGT's go before you have to worry?

Thanks!!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by albrightfour
I went to the mountains this weekend and pulled my fifth wheel (40' toy hauler). My truck will go as fast as I want it to but my EGT's would climb over 1350 if I went over 45mph. What if anything can I do to keep them lower.
How high can the EGT's go before you have to worry?

Thanks!!
First thing to mention is that it sounds like you're exceeding the truck's capacity towing. Another thing to consider is that the tranny and differential are probably feeling the heat as well. Where is your probe mounted? If it's pre-turbo than 1350 is about as high as you would want to see. This temp is pretty close to aluminum melting numbers.

The best thing you can do IMHO is understand that there are limits to the superhuman abilitites of your vehicle, and just take it slower.

Other possibilities are a slightly larger turbo, Trans, valve body, torque converter upgrades, and a larger intercooler.

Cheers
Mike
###
Old 07-07-2007, 01:06 AM
RRC

The simple things will help. Intake and exhaust, a "TRUE" cold air intake would be my best advice, not any ol' intake system is a true cold air intake! I chose the PSM intake, with an Amsoil drop in filter and an AFE torque tube. I also did an MBRP muffler replacment. Nice sound, no drone while also towing my 40' Toyhauler. gOOd lUcK!
Old 07-07-2007, 01:47 AM
Banned

let'er breath! cold air in, hot air out!
more air = turbo
denser air = better inter cooler or chemical intercooling.

also , can do a cam change, wont actualy help egt by much, but it'll get cyl temps down, spool the turbo better, move more air.