3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help diagnose my turbo problem (pics and vid)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help diagnose my turbo problem (pics and vid)

From my other post, for the past 2 months, my turbo has gotten real loud (swooosh) and seems like theres a leak somewhere, boost leak or air coming from somewhere, I also noticed that I dont boost around 35lbs anymore, but more like 38lbs. Then 2 weeks ago, check engine light came and for the first time I got the P 0299 code (low boost code) which went away out of nowhere while driving after 3 hours of it being on. Now just as of 2 days ago, I cant even boost past 20lbs and the EGT's climb to 1200 at WOT for only 5 seconds as well as the engine temp goes to 208 at WOT only for about a few seconds. Checked oil, checked intercooler, checked turbo for cracks. What else could it be? Could it be dirty BHAF? (been on for a year, about 45K miles ago) TIA

Here are some pics of the turbo and a vid:

Old 11-14-2007, 12:45 AM

check all of your hose clamps from the turbo to the intake. we had one strip out on one of our stock dodges but you couldn't tell it just by looking at it, it wistled really loud and didn't quite have the power. The only reason we found it was because I watched as my dad started the engine then spooled the turbo up, the hose expanded around the metal tube that goes to the intercooler allowing air to escape. It is a 97 though so no check engine light came on.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:33 AM

Looks like that thing has been getting super hot. I can't watch the video right now though so I can't try to help you yet....
Old 11-14-2007, 05:13 AM

Do a pressure test on the system. Use a piece of pvc end cap that fits inside the boost hose coming from the turbo. You will need to put a valve in it so you can pressure it up with an air hose. Then use a bucket of soap and water to see if you can locate some type of boost leak from the charger to the intake horn.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:40 AM

If you can't find a boost leak, I think that you're going to need to drop the turbo to inspect the exhaust side. It's possible that the turbo is going bad.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:27 AM

I listened to it now. To me, it sounds like an exhaust leak. You may have blown out the gasket between the manifold and the turbo.

The turbo sure sounds cool with no air box in front of it, eh?!?!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I listened to it now. To me, it sounds like an exhaust leak. You may have blown out the gasket between the manifold and the turbo.

The turbo sure sounds cool with no air box in front of it, eh?!?!
so you're saying the gasket right behind the turbo right before the downpipe?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:45 AM

No, he's saying the same as I did on the other post. The gasket between the turbo and exhaust manifold. You can usually see black soot around the leak there but I can't visibly see any from your pics. It might be behind the flange towards the block. If you crawl under there and look up towards the bottom of the manifold you would be able to visually inspect it for soot.

Old Smokey also suggested the PVC and valve stem trick like I did to diagnose a boost leak. That's a for sure way of doing it.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 AM

You may have to pull that turbo off like Tesla said though and inspect the turbine wheel and the wastegate. Your wastegate might be stuck open dumping boost. That could also be the reason for the code you were getting before.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:53 AM

The wastegate was what I was just going to suggest checking. Staarma you beat me to it!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 AM

Yeah, it's gotta be loosing boost somewhere.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:13 AM

Yup. It's pretty easy pulling the stock turbo off. That's what I'd be doing. It's also a perfect time to upgrade it...
There is no gasket behind the turbo either. The manifold to turbo gasket is only like $2.00 too. I just had to replace mine.......
Old 11-14-2007, 11:17 AM

Do truck dealers usually carry the gaskets? Im going to be putting on a new turbo possibly this weekend, I might as well put some new gaskets in. Also should I do the gasket between the manifold and the block? Sorry for the hijack
Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM

If you haven't had any leaks then there's a good possibility that the manifold gaskets will be reuseable. I bought new ones when I did my turbo but didn't need them but since I had them I put them on. The gasket between the turbo and collector is usually reuseable as well but you have to be careful with it. It's thin metal. If it's mangled it will leak. If you don't get the studs/nuts back in properly it will ruin it and leak. How many miles you have will be a good indicator if the gaskets are reuseable. The manifold gaskets are metal as well. I would call around and see if they are available locally before tearing it down. If they are you know you will be covered. If they aren't then you might be running a risk.

BTW, in my opinion you would have better luck at the Cummins dealer/tractor dealer than the Dodge dealer FWIW.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM

Well, I had a strange noise after reinstalling my stock turbo for a while. I decided to change all the gaskets. The manifold to block gasket is actually 6 seperate gaskets and they are very expensive. I think it was like $12.00 each or something crazy like that. My dealer did not have any of them in stock and I had to order them. I got an extra turbo/manifold gasket for the future too... If you don't pull the manifold off to install your new turbo then I would not mess with it. I found, however, that it is much easier to install the bigger turbo with the manifold off the truck and then installing them back on the truck together. In that case then you would need the new set of gaskets to be safe......

Quick Reply: Help diagnose my turbo problem (pics and vid)