3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help controlling EGT's.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help controlling EGT's.

Well guys, I have an 05' crew cab dually. 4 Speed auto, with a tripple lock torque converter, valve body, and a deep pan. 5" turbo back, no cat. AFE intake, and no intake baffles. Hot Edge juice with attitude.
This truck is registered at 38,000lbs. But my problem isnt really when I pull the big weight, its when I pull my toy hauler. It weighs in around 16,000lbs loaded. I pull it on setting 2, and she pulls good for the most part. But when pulling large passes, I cannot keep the egt's down. I usually will take the cruise off, and as she gets hot, I start to back off, then once she shifts out of overdrive, I will turn the juice down to stock or 1. It will hold 60 mph up any pass, but even at that, she is sitting around 1350*, and that is only at about 1/3 throttle. My probe is right in the manifold. What can I do? I couldnt imagine what the stock temps would have been, as even on the stock setting, with the exhaust and intake, it still is over 1300*. Pulling in setting 2, she usually will hit 1250 just going over the overpasses.
Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:56 PM

I'm at the same point. It's time for a bigger turbo I'm afraid. I think when I do mine I will change the manifold as well but I will leave the stock intercooler on by recommendation of a friend in the business.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definatly a new turbo, but try to keep your RPM's up as much as you can untill then.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:05 PM

You need more boost to take advantage of the extra fuel you are trying to burn. One thought would be to get something that does some boost fooling. I dont think the edge does boost fooling by it self, i have heard that the mp8 will do some incredible boost fooling esp. down at low rpms . Some one can correct me if i am wrong. The only other alternative is to spring for a larger turbo, the sp 62-14 would probably drop 150-200 degrees off of what you are running now. Good luck, i hate having all that pedal left and not being able to use it!!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 PM

What should that turbo run for cost?
Also, why should I try and run higher rpms? Does not egt's go up with rpm's? At 60 mph in third, she is turning around 2500 rpm.......
Just trying to remember, but I would guess boost to be around 25-26lbs at that speed. What would be a good boost to have at that rpm and load?

Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Banned

Your egt's will drop at higher rpms because your burning more fuel, try driving your truck slow up to around 55 or so and let it shift into od, then roll into it and youll see what i mean, your egts will climb like a monkey goin for a banana. Then try turning your od of and see what happens when you rap it out(since you probably dont want to rap it out in od). The engines like to be worked, dont be afraid!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:39 PM

Ah fair enough. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:54 PM

Industrial Injections 62/14 will run around $1600 complete. That's probably what I'll end up with unless ATS's VGT prices out ok then I may look at that pretty hard.

http://www.industrialinjection.com/m...e+Turbocharger
Old 08-01-2006, 12:17 AM

Down shift earlier to keep the rpm up, that keeps the egt down. More airflow = cooler. Another easy solution is water injection. I run a snow kit, when I m empty I run water/methanol and when Im pulling straight water.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by staarma
...unless ATS's VGT prices out ok then I may look at that pretty hard.

Don't hold your breath.... last I heard that MST is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $2800, but if it does what they are claiming it will do it may be the last turbo you ever buy........
Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 AM

Dang, that's a lot of cake.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1320
Down shift earlier to keep the rpm up, that keeps the egt down. More airflow = cooler. Another easy solution is water injection. I run a snow kit, when I m empty I run water/methanol and when Im pulling straight water.
Ah now were getting somewhere. Where, what and how do I go about getting that kit. And why are you using just straight water when pulling?
How long, or how much water do you need for a good long drive? Do you just juse it on the big hills, or at all times?

My truck turns about 3000 rpm in third gear at 70mph. At 60 she's around the 2500 mark. At what point are you saying to downshift? I always have to kill the chip completely when it down shifts, as it get's over 1400 at the shift. Thats why I was waiting until 60 to let it shift. I guess I could try letting her shift at 65. Man I wish this had a 5 or 6 speed auto in it. That big shift would be long gone!!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:47 AM

There are many kinds and makers. I m a dealer for two. I use the one that delivers, I mean actually can get the product out. They sometimes get pretty backed up. Pm me if your interested in my stuff or just do a search.

I run straight water when pulling. It only comes on when you see a set amount of boost. That on set point is adjustable. (Mine comes on at 25 psi, but I run 55) Pump speed is adjustable, number of jets is optional and jet size. All thes things play a part in how much you put in. I would taylor the onset to only come on when your egt's go higher which depends mostly on what you tow. Basically on anytime the boost goes high enough to pull a hill.

I use my winshield washer resivoir, about a gallon and it can last me a 300 to 500 mile tow. BTW your winshield washer still functions normally cause ,,,,,,the good news, is that winshield washer fluid has Methanol in it....the -25 stuff is about 60-40, so buy it and pour it in....when empty. When you tow just pour in straight water before you leave. It can lower egts substantially when the set up is correct. Probably 200-400 degrees on average.

Your ? why straight water when towing: Methanol will not take egt out...its a fuel adds power and therefore adds heat. Mind you my egts still go down or stay the same with meth but you ll see a bigger drop with just water if thats what you need. When your empty and egt isnt a big concern you enjoy the added power with methanol.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 PM

Only thing about straight water, is you cannot inject as much volume. The methanol helps to combust the water when it is mixed. Maybe straight water works fine, but you must have to adjust it WAY down.
Also, on the washer fluid. It depends on what you buy. There have been reports of -25 mix containing only 10-15% methanol when tested. I am going to start using heet mixed with distilled water so I know for sure what my mix is.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:38 PM

Where can I find your information? It sounds as if this is the cheapest, and best way to go to do what I want. The truck pulls alot of weight, all the time. It's the big pass that gives me the fits. If I could keep it cool just on that pass, that alone would be worth it. But does it help substantially when your just getting going, trying to get the weight up to speed?

Hows it to get setup correctly? Just time and adjustment? Or is it a pain?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Help controlling EGT's.