3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Help!!! Built tranny is Fricked!!! No Forward!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! Built tranny is Fricked!!! No Forward! also Wanted to Rent:Full Billet tranny

Guys, Might not be the right spot but this is the forum I'll start with. My built tranny is not built right now!!! Having a.....problem. I was cruizing home last night at about 60 and the light 1/2 mile ahead was red so I let off the go pedal. As I approach the light I'm doing 45 in Od and then light turns green so I nail it. a few moments after this I have 4k rpm, no forward gears, only reverse. There might have been a crack, bang, or pop but with the stereo cranked the rough road and my exhaust....didn't hear a thing. What's broke? Thanks ks.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:22 PM

When it's in neutral can you push the truck? If not then you blew up your rear end... If you can, then there's a whole host of things that could be wrong.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Banned

He's still got reverse so I don't think it's the rear end. It's not a shaft and it's not the TC.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:16 PM

Sure sounds like the forward clutch pack.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Too much power not enough sense

Guys, 99% sure it is the Forward Clutches plus. I did a little race with a dmax the other night (after getting the Ind Inj Super Cp3.4 pump on, The 165 horsepower I I super flow injectors, F1 cam and springs, ARP headstuds) and I think I'm putting out about as much power as a stock turbo can put out at 37psi and 1414 degrees. Spanked the Juiced regular cab at 3:30 am on a deserted divided highway 3 times...boys and their toys. My top speed was only 116mph and at 3500rpm in OD I remember 122 being my max but I could be wrong.....After that I couldn't get top speed to be as high....hmmm....tranny was running very cool, fluid smells good. I think towing heavy at maybe 350hp with the exhaust brake is hard on the forwards. I don't want to even guess how much power I'm making but it is enough to take out the tranny obviously. Oh by the way averaged 17 to 20mpg hand calculated till last night (three partial empty fill ups) including the highspeed run and 600 miles at about 80mph or higher. Don M's cam rocks with this set up. No smoke at Idle and a nice steady but not too obnoxious flow at WOT runs. ks
Old 07-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Banned

Umm, last I heard, once you build the tranny you shouldn't be able to take it out.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:54 PM

Kerry,
You have WAAAAAYyyyyyyyyyy Too much fuel for that stock turbo. I am surprised its still alive!!

Your boost should be over 50psi though. 37psi is low.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:45 PM

Wanted to Rent, Full Billet Pro Built Race Tranny

PourinDiesel, The TST electronic boost control is set for 38psi so when it hits 34psi the fuel stops firehosing. Yep this week is the turbonizing week for sure. I've got 3 turbos sitting on the bench and all the plumbing. A little more machine shop work and a day of welding and I'll have the turbos on.

Big Blue, When the K31 or the Super B/B2 twins are on this truck should make well over 750 hp once the tuning is done. With the TST on 1/0 now there is more power and smoke and boost then when I ran the TST on 7/7 The I I truck with a milder cam than the F1 Helix 2 made 812hp at May Madness with a "little" silver bullet. Everyone that I've talked to that makes big power spends some time "Freshening the clutches after so many runs". I've been towing up to 38k combined and had a lot of hard exhaust brake stops. They are only mechanical parts. I'll buy the first tranny that someone gives me an unlimited mileage tranny that can handle 38k combined, and 900hp as a daily driver. I've put on 30k since the rebuild. PourinDiesel has an awesome setup with a super single turbo and he has fully utilized a SBC 3800....If you use the trucks you will use the parts up no problem. If someone tells you that these "super" tranny builds are gonna last forever they are marketing...Under normal use a built tranny will last forever....I left normal 3 weeks ago.

I bought a second engine already...an 05 with about 5k miles....for less than I paid for THE PUMP...now I guess I will have to have a spare tranny. The truck has almost 140k miles on it and those were real work miles not grocery getting. If you play you pay...if you work...you pay more.

Thanks for all the help on this guys....my pm box needs to go on a diet. If anyone has a full billet pro built tranny in their garage that they want to give me for dirt cheap I'll gladly put their name in 4 inch letters all over this truck. This site and you guys are why I "invested" in this project. There will be a lot of learning....some good stories.... and more broken parts. These aren't steps backward....just steps upward. KS
Old 07-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

Only 750hp? That's it? Heck my stock tranny is holding up to half of that. I was only ribbing ya. 750hp is a lot for any builder.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:13 PM

Yep, I think the tranny and driveline are going to be the limits on how far this project can go. With the twins on,... this truck will be a daily driver fully normal truck. With the K31 it will not be a normal daily driver. What I wanted to do was take the truck as far as it would go....yet still make it be the great ride I've enjoyed to date. I will have a better than new truck and it will cost me a lot less than what they are charging these days for new truck less a trade in on my well used steed. ks
Old 07-02-2006, 07:12 PM

I lost everything but reverse when I lost my planetary in 727. Same deal.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:26 PM

Does anyone know where the cheapest place to get the absolute best set of full frictions and steels for all clutch packs? Does anyone know how many frictions and steels should be in each set knowing that I have more than stock? What are the best to get....I hear Kolene steels and Red Alto frictions mentioned alot. Doing some research so I can be better prepared.

Just checked the files and buddy who built the tranny guaranteed labor on it for as long as my Torque Converter. I'm still way under the hp this tranny was suppose to hold.....but he knows I've towed way more than the weight that the truck was suppose too. He also did my exhaust brake install so he knows that was part of the package. He's a good guy and I know he stands behind his work....unfortunately he's 1000 miles away from where I am but not where I was suppose to be this weekend. Maybe he can talk me through the clutch pack install so that I can get the truck to his shop for the rest of the work to be done to the tranny. This truck now needs a valet mode for just such situations. Marco............ ks
Old 07-03-2006, 12:20 AM

No forward gears could be one of several problems - you could have smoked your rear clutch pack (there are no "forward" clutches - there's a front clutch pack, a rear clutch pack, a direct clutch pack, and an overdrive clutch pack - the latter two residing in the overdrive unit), you could have busted your overdrive overrunning clutch, or you could have busted your front planetary. Depending on what let go, the repair is either moderate, moderate, or difficult.

Replacing either the rear clutches or the front planetary is pretty simple, requiring only a partial tear-down (only need to pull the front and rear drums - you can see photos of this process by clicking here). If the roller clutch in the OD section is busted, that necessitates removing the OD section, and disassembling it - which requires a couple special tools and a shop press (gotta compress a big spring that takes about 800lbs. to compress).

I don't think you're going to have much luck repairing this, even temporarily, yourself.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now THAT is a good rundown on your stuff.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:07 AM

7 trouble codes

Tom, excellent help....I meant forward as in front....I'm not a tranny guru....yet...but if I do this every year or probably twice a year or more sooner...I will be.
All the clutch packs and seals are gonna get done.....I was hoping I could get this rolling on the easy side.....not usually the way. I'm gonna decide today whether I get a local guy to do it or pull the tranny and get the buddy who built it last time to get it rolling....If its anything other than the clutch packs I'd be surprised but not shocked.

I left Boston with no codes and I now have 7. I'll report when I have them deciphered. Thanks for the info. KS

Quick Reply: Help!!! Built tranny is Fricked!!! No Forward!