3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Headlight Brite Box???????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Brite Box???????????

Has anyone used the Brite Box, one available from Geno's Garage, with the '03 Dodge headlamps? I have been considering additional lights for driving, but this seems like a reasonable alternative. I have installled the PIAA Platium White replacement bulbs and could tell the difference, but really notice the difference when pulling the lever back and holding monentarily with both low/high beams on, until I release the lever. Having a 4 X 4 I get flashed enough with just my low beams especially when that low slung BMW is heading toward me.

L8r,.............dogger

Days on, sweating in the Sahara Desert!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:53 PM

Look in my sig. I have one on each of my trucks and they are great. I got them from JC Whitney for $19.99
Old 06-02-2004, 06:12 PM

Does it work on a 3rd Gen?
Old 06-02-2004, 10:18 PM

More Information Please

Originally posted by ramcummins
Look in my sig. I have one on each of my trucks and they are great. I got them from JC Whitney for $19.99
ramcummins,

Would you mind sharing some more information about the KC high beam relay kits you used and how you did the wiring? The only KC high beam kits I've seen are being marketed for Chevy and GM trucks. I assume you adapted one of these kits for your Dodge?
Old 06-03-2004, 05:04 PM

Re: More Information Please

Originally posted by Jonesboro
ramcummins,

Would you mind sharing some more information about the KC high beam relay kits you used and how you did the wiring? The only KC high beam kits I've seen are being marketed for Chevy and GM trucks. I assume you adapted one of these kits for your Dodge?
Yup, That's what I did. I dont know about the 3rd gens but it works on the 1st & 2nd gens. I did have to figure out my own wires. Because the instructions are for GM trucks. PM me If you need further insturctions on how I did it.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:07 AM

what about 04

does anyone have the wire colors for the 3rd gen? i would love to add one of these to my truck
Old 06-05-2004, 12:52 PM

I had thoughts about building my own relay system. Two relays, 4 bulb plugs from NAPA, and some 12 gauge wire. This way you can get a direct battery feed to the low beams and high beams through nonrestrictive wiring unlike the OEM hair sized diameter wiring. The only load on the OEM wiring will be to actuate the relays.

Oh! And then some Sylvania Silverstar bulbs - nearly the same quality as PIAA, but half the price.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:09 PM

3rd Gen Headlight Wiring, High Beam Relay

For those of you thinking about the high beam relay, here's the wire identification for the 3rd gen headlights. All headlamp wires are 18 gauge.

Left Headlamp:

Low Beam - White/Dark Green
High Beam - White/Light Green

Right Headlamp:

Low Beam - White/Tan
High Beam - White/Light Blue

I think you might be able to get away with only one relay to get both the right and left low beams to work whenever the high beams are turned on. You could do all of the wiring right below the integrated power module where the wires exit and are close together before going to the separate headlights. Here's my thoughts on wiring a generic 12 volt 30 amp relay that would turn the low beams on whenever the high beams are on:

Fused power to relay terminal 30
Ground to relay terminal 85
Splice one high beam wire to relay terminal 86 (it doesn't matter if you use the right or left high beam wire since it is simply being used to trigger the relay)
Splice both low beam wires to relay terminal 87

Seems to me that this would work. Thoughts anyone?

ADDED BY EDIT (6/7/04):
In order to get away with using only one relay as described above, it may be necessary to add a diode to each wire going from the relay to each low beam headlamp. The diodes would allow current to flow only in the direction from the relay to the headlamps. The reason this is important is in the above described circuit both low beam headlights are wired to the same power source at the relay. Without the diodes when the low beams are turned on by themselves each would be fed by two power sources which would likely cause a problem.

I would greatly appreciate it if a member of this forum who is also an electrical expert would chime in at this point.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:29 PM

That is pretty much all it is.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:43 AM

Good stuff and a lot cheaper than Geno's!!

L8r,...........dogger

Days on, sweatin' the Sahara Desert!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:10 PM

Re: 3rd Gen Headlight Wiring, High Beam Relay

Originally posted by Jonesboro
For those of you thinking about the high beam relay, here's the wire identification for the 3rd gen headlights. All headlamp wires are 18 gauge.

Left Headlamp:

Low Beam - White/Dark Green
High Beam - White/Light Green

Right Headlamp:

Low Beam - White/Tan
High Beam - White/Light Blue

I think you might be able to get away with only one relay to get both the right and left low beams to work whenever the high beams are turned on. You could do all of the wiring right below the integrated power module where the wires exit and are close together before going to the separate headlights. Here's my thoughts on wiring a generic 12 volt 30 amp relay that would turn the low beams on whenever the high beams are on:

Fused power to relay terminal 30
Ground to relay terminal 85
Splice one high beam wire to relay terminal 86 (it doesn't matter if you use the right or left high beam wire since it is simply being used to trigger the relay)
Splice both low beam wires to relay terminal 87

Seems to me that this would work. Thoughts anyone?

ADDED BY EDIT (6/7/04):
In order to get away with using only one relay as described above, it may be necessary to add a diode to each wire going from the relay to each low beam headlamp. The diodes would allow current to flow only in the direction from the relay to the headlamps. The reason this is important is in the above described circuit both low beam headlights are wired to the same power source at the relay. Without the diodes when the low beams are turned on by themselves each would be fed by two power sources which would likely cause a problem.

I would greatly appreciate it if a member of this forum who is also an electrical expert would chime in at this point.
I'm no electrical expert, but I've played with my '98 some time ago. The above setup will work, but....

Here's my theory and what I've done on my '98. The wiring in these trucks are so restrictive due to length and guage that the headlights aren't getting the full 12 volts as they stand. My idea used the vehicle wiring only to trigger the relays. With new bulb plugs, heavier guage wire from the relays to the plugs, there's no restriction from power to the bulbs. The output was immediately noticeable as much brighter.

To make a long story short, eliminating any vehicle wiring between the power source and the bulbs will allow for brighter light output even without changing the bulbs.

JMHO.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:47 PM

piaa has kit where you use your existing head light wiring strictly for a control circuit and then you hook up the new headlight through a piaa really with MUCH bigger wire .. i have one on my rock crawler 4 runner i and I'm running a 90w 130 h4 .. works great .. no restriction or current flow that way ..