3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

HE351 Turbo Swap info...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. This statement that you made prompted my last post.
Its not going to give you what you need or want
I'm a bit confused now. Are you saying you like this mod or not? My turbo is on the way so there's no turning back now anyways but I'd still like to know.....
Old 03-24-2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
So, has anybody tried some kind of brass T-fitting installed in the silicone hose to control the wastegate? I'm sure there is something at the NAPA store that could work for this. I think that's what I'm gonna try...

Hmmm, since I still have a full warranty on my truck I wonder how Dodge would handle a warranty claim when my truck has been upgraded with factory Dodge turbo and exhaust parts.......
when I get a chance to install my turbo, I am going to just block off the port on the 351 and instead go with a boost bolt and some steel brake tubing. I will put the boost elbow in-line in a place that is easy to reach, probably close to where the boost bolt is installed in the intake. I can bend steel tubing around the contours of the engine and make it look nice.

some day I will have some time to do this..... right now the turbo is just sitting in a box on the floor waiting on it's day to find a home on my '03 HO.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Mine is en-route and will be going on as soon as I get all the pieces of my custom exhaust together...
Old 03-24-2009, 06:02 PM

Mine is en-route and will be going on as soon as I get all the pieces of my custom exhaust together...
FWIW I put a 06 turbo on mine. Installed a boost "ELBOW". Finally got to the point that the boost elbow was taken off, and now I am at 32PSI of boost at full peddle. Zip tied the hose going to the waste gate. hope it helps...BigBlue has more knowledge on this subject than anyone.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you guys are having issues with low boost, you are probably having issues with the wastegate opening too early. There are a few ways to remedy:
1. Disconnect the silicone hose at the actuator and cap it so boost will not leak.

2. Shim the actuator by loosening the two 10mm bolts and slipping a c-shaped washer behind the actuator and sandwiching it between the actuator and cast aluminum ears. Or you can remove the actuator and use full washers. Obviously cut washers can be slid in behind the actuator if you loosen the 10mm nuts and apply a little bit of shop air to extend the rod.

3. Remove the actuator and drill the pressed pin with a 7/64" drill bit. Once drilled, you can turn the threaded end of the actuator and shorten the whole assembly. A shorter assembly puts more preload on the wastegate puck and will allow more boost before it opens.

4. Add a spring or turnbuckle the wastegate actuator c-clip end and add tension that pulls the wastegate arm or rod end forward toward the headlight.

5. Tack weld the wastegate shut, either add a weld to the flapper to hold it shut or pull and weld the external lever in the closed position.

And finally, it takes fuel to make heat and exhaust pressure. If you don't have much fuel, you won't make very much boost unless you add a big load like 12K trailer on a mountain pass.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 PM

Hey BB you talked about porting the waste gate area. Can you enlighten we dumber ones? LOL
Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 PM

Were are you guys getting the HE351 turbos?

I haven't seen any around lately?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:24 AM

I found one at a different site but I know someone here that is selling one too. PM me if you want his info....
Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 AM

I have been trying to track one down as well. Seems like a popluar mod, but I am in no hurry so if someone is planning on getting rid of one, let me know.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 02:52 PM

Would be real nice if someone would make a nice exhaust housing for the HE-351.. Like 12cm with a nice wastegate design.... I think someone could make a killing
Old 03-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

sounds like a great swap, not too hard to do either, advice : attach drain tube to turbo while it is oout of the truck, them two bolts are a pita if you try to do them on the truck, then stuff the drain tube back in the block. Note how far it was in so when you put it back, it is far enough or it will leak under higher rpm. guess I need to make a classified add so these other interested in the swap have a chance at the one I just took off.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mykal41
Would be real nice if someone would make a nice exhaust housing for the HE-351.. Like 12cm with a nice wastegate design.... I think someone could make a killing
I don't think a 12cm housing would be much of an upgrade. It has been reported that the 9cm open housing of the HE351 flows as well as a 12cm divided housing.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 PM

I'd love it if I could get my hands on the V-Band clamp that holds the downpipe on without getting raped by the Dodge dealer..... I can't believe how hard it is to get one of these things...
Old 03-25-2009, 11:16 PM

I'd love it if I could get my hands on the V-Band clamp that holds the downpipe on without getting raped by the Dodge dealer..... I can't believe how hard it is to get one of these things...
Find a truck parts store. That's where I got mine.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 AM

I tried that yesterday. I went to the storeroom with him and we tried everything that he had. There was one clamp that would fit on the elbow but it was not wide enough to accomodate the downpipe too. I got the Cummins part number now and I'm gonna make a call today on that....

Quick Reply: HE351 Turbo Swap info...