3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

he341 to he351cw swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he341 to he351cw swap

I've been reading up on this swap and plan to purchase the plug to block the solenoid long term, but I need to install the turbo right away because the he341 isn't working as it should. Most of the discussion revolves around the solenoid, but I haven't read what happens if I just leave the solenoid alone. Is the wastegate open at the stock setting (26-28psi) or is it going to be much lower than that, a boost leak even? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It is electronically controlled. The solenoid would open before it passes pressure over to the dashpot for the wastegate.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:55 PM

So with the solenoid electrically unplugged it defaults closed and is equivalent to not having a waste gate, correct?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RJ285
So with the solenoid electrically unplugged it defaults closed and is equivalent to not having a waste gate, correct?
It's the opposite, without power the solenoid allows air to go to the mechanical wastegate portion of the turbo. This will regulate your boost in the 22-24 psi range.

Since the HE351 is a drive pressure producing SOB I would plug the solenoid port and get a spring wastegate that opens based on drive pressure.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 AM

Thanks. I plan on a plug and a boost elbow, but I need the truck to be functional immediately. Sounds like ill be good. Thanks guys.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:13 AM

Default position for the solenoid is open. If you leave it unplugged it starts opening at like 20 psi, maybe.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE=RJ285;3215042]I've been reading up on this swap and plan to purchase the plug to block the solenoid long term, but I need to install the turbo right away because the he341 isn't working as it should. Most of the discussion revolves around the solenoid, but I haven't read what happens if I just leave the solenoid alone. Is the wastegate open at the stock setting (26-28psi) or is it going to be much lower than that, a boost leak even? Thanks.[/QUOTE

You can definitely leave the solenoid for the HE351 plugged in and disconnected but you will need to add some kind of adjustable wastegate control.

Easiest would be to buy an adjustable boost elbow, drill the HE351 compressor cover and hook it up.
You will likely need a boost fooler also.

There are several custom fitting plugs available for the HE351 to replace the wastegate solenoid. I even recall one that was drilled and tapped for a boost elbow, which would make for a clean conversion, but these are not necessary.

Here is a pic of a stock HE341 and a modified HE351. It looks like a homemade solenoid plug and the added adjustable boost elbow.

Name:  HE341vsHE351Turbos_zpse4e5325b.jpg
Views: 6536
Size:  223.2 KB

You should also add the HE351 4" exhaust elbow and 4" downpipe.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You can also just plug the electric solenoid port. You don't NEED to install an adjustable boost elbow. With stock injectors and just the Edge juice I hit a max of about 34psi boost, I can only hit that pulling a heavy load, otherwise on a flat grade it only sees about 30psi.

To plug it you can plug the holes in the solenoid or I've heard of people cutting off the electrical portion of the plug then drill out the center of it and tapping it for a pipe plug and then reinstalling it. Should be lots of threads on how to do it.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:31 AM

The solenoid isn't doing anything if it's unplugged. I have one on my truck. In order to get more boost I had to plug the wastegate hose. Personally, I don't understand why guys waste money on that plug when you can't even see it once the turbo is installed on the truck. I've been running my truck like this for three years now with ZERO issues. I just run a very mild fueling box so I have no worries of overboosting. If I were running a more powerful power adder then I would loosen the clamp on the hose some.....

If I turn my box to the 135hp setting I have seen well over 40 psi of boost and that's using a mechanical boost gauge..
Old 12-08-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
The solenoid isn't doing anything if it's unplugged. I have one on my truck. In order to get more boost I had to plug the wastegate hose. Personally, I don't understand why guys waste money on that plug when you can't even see it once the turbo is installed on the truck. I've been running my truck like this for three years now with ZERO issues. I just run a very mild fueling box so I have no worries of overboosting. If I were running a more powerful power adder then I would loosen the clamp on the hose some.....

If I turn my box to the 135hp setting I have seen well over 40 psi of boost and that's using a mechanical boost gauge..
Like you said it's hidden, but if you plug the hole it gives you a nice place for a boost elbow and then you don't have to clamp the line, or drill the compressor housing. Clamping the line only shuts off the wastegate you cannot control boost with a clamp.

Since the HE351 produces so much drive pressure it's a good idea to keep the wastegate operational.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID
Like you said it's hidden, but if you plug the hole it gives you a nice place for a boost elbow and then you don't have to clamp the line, or drill the compressor housing. Clamping the line only shuts off the wastegate you cannot control boost with a clamp.

Since the HE351 produces so much drive pressure it's a good idea to keep the wastegate operational.

This.... ^^^^

I bored out my WG passage until i could drop a quarter through it. i put an adjustable larger WG actuator on and have mine opening at 26 psi anything past 34 psi isn’t usable when towing. when doing a lower hp tune i can adjust the actuator to open later but with a higher HP tune to keep EGT’s and pressures down i try to get WG open enough to keep max psi below 34. but I’m more conservative on how much hp i run on this truck these days

I love the HE351 it was a good balance between my HTb2 and it’s slower spool at altitude and when towing and my HE341 and its inability to run much past a a 60 hp tune without watching EGT’s spike while towing.

i bought a plug ... cheap and drilled and tapped the housing. easy and stout enough for anything i’ll be doing with this truck.