3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Have to smog my '05 in Las Vegas...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to smog my '05 in Las Vegas...

...today for the first time. It is all stock with the exception of the juice with attitude. Does anybody know how Nevada smog laws are? Will I need to remove everything or can I just set it to zero and have them test it?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:58 AM

You likely don't have anything to worry about as long as the cat is still on there. Do set your box to zero.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Banned

that stinks. its gonna be coming for us all pretty soon

brett
Old 08-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
that stinks. its gonna be coming for us all pretty soon

brett
Both Arizona and Nevada have been smogging diesels for quite a while. California is still a no-smog-test-for-diesels state. Go figure!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 AM
EDR

67Baja,
Please let us know how the test goes!!

While doing a bit of research on the tests in Nevada and other states my understanding is that they are suppose to visually check for the emmissions eqipment (catalytic convertor + ?) and then run the truck on a dyno and perform a test for visible smoke.

I'm not sure what they mean by visible smoke, but on the larger trucks they check the exhaust opacity (how much visible light passes through the smoke).

Also, when I got my truck last year, I think there was only one light duty diesel testing station listed, now there are six in Las Vegas. Knowing the cost of dynos I'd be a bit surprised if all of these stations actually have a dyno, so how they'll perform the test and what the pass/fail threshold is for visible smoke would be good to know.

Here's a link to the Nevada DMV diesel emissions site.
http://www.dmvnv.com/emission_diesel.htm#Light
Old 08-16-2007, 11:08 AM

yeah back in the day here in Vega$ diesels didn't need a smog, now the 2500's need a smog where as the 3500's still don't have to have one, and me I live in a zip code in Clark County that doesn't require any smogs on gas or diesel...
Old 08-16-2007, 05:02 PM

OK, just got back from the emissions test. I was at Charleston and Jones -- cost was $46 (plus tip). They have a chassis dyno in the parking lot you pull up onto and the tech strapped my truck down to an anchor in the ground. The guy inspected the seal on the inside of the gas cap and looked for the EGR which isn't there on Dodges. He then looked under the truck to make sure that the cat was still there, which it was. He put the sniffer in the exhaust, hopped in the truck, and revved it up to an unknown RPM for maybe 45 seconds or so. That was it. PASS!!!

I asked if it mattered if I had aftermarket performance products on it and he said it didn't. If the seal was bad in the gas cap or the cat was missing, it is an automatic fail. Then if the sniff is okay, you're golden. All in all, it was about a 5 minute smog test, the tech was respectful (called me "boss"), and it wasn't a bad experience. Other than it is an extra $50 on top of my $500+ registration fee every year now. It almost pays to go get that new Megacab I've been thinking about...
Old 08-17-2007, 12:18 AM
EDR

Glad to hear it worked out.

$50 is a lot for a five minute test, but I guess those guys do have to recoup the cost of their dynos!!

So it's a sniffer test. I'm wondering what they sniff for on a diesel? Did he give you a print out with the test results? Just curious.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:23 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if the sniffer would notice an "empty" cat?

John
Old 08-17-2007, 02:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont mean to change the topic but i didnt realize there was this many guys on here living in Vegas.. we should start a CTD club..
Old 08-17-2007, 03:06 AM

The test in Nevada is for opacity. For light duty registered vehicles, I believe it's 6% limit. The dyno is used to place a load on the engine. Here's the DMV page that shows the stations that can do the test.

What sucks is that they're not hooked up to the state electronically. You either have to mail in your renewal w/the smog test, or go to a DMV.

We should have a LV GTG. I was thinking about going to the Midnight Mayhem at the speedway on the 24th. Just to play, so to speak.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:58 AM
EDR

LVTony,

I also thought the NV test to be a check for opacity, but after re-reading the website, that may only be for the heavy duty trucks. The web page does state that they will check for visible smoke, but if you read 67Baja's response he said they stuck a sniffer in the exhaust . . . which doesn't sound like an opacity test, so I'm not sure what they're looking for.

I'm hoping 67Baja responds with his test results, hopefully the report will clarify what they were checking for.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 PM

I got mine at the Smog hut on E. Cheyenne @ the Smog Hut, very simple test with cupon it was $36. Seems like it's just more $$$$ for the State. The tech had me accelerate to 40 MPH and let off and that was the test.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by EDR
LVTony,

I also thought the NV test to be a check for opacity, but after re-reading the website, that may only be for the heavy duty trucks. The web page does state that they will check for visible smoke, but if you read 67Baja's response he said they stuck a sniffer in the exhaust . . . which doesn't sound like an opacity test, so I'm not sure what they're looking for.

I'm hoping 67Baja responds with his test results, hopefully the report will clarify what they were checking for.
One of the guys where I work had to get his '05 2500 smogged about two months ago. The tech said it was opacity allowed up to 6%. The heavy duty smog checks just allow different/higher levels of opacity. This DMV flier does indicate it's an opacity test, but doesn't give the level. The guy from work had a really low opacity, somewhere around 0.15%. His only mods are an intake mod and a better muffler.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:40 PM

cali smog

Originally Posted by 2003Ram
Both Arizona and Nevada have been smogging diesels for quite a while. California is still a no-smog-test-for-diesels state. Go figure!
they have a bill in progress to smog diesels and road side moniters that when you drive by will take a reading and if its above set limits it takes a pic of your truck and you get a letter saying your a "gross pollutor" and have to come in for a check just some of the great things soon to be brought to by the communist republic of california...

Quick Reply: Have to smog my '05 in Las Vegas...