3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Which is harder on the trans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by omaharam
No. With an extra 100hp with the truck already locked in 4th gear, if you mash the pedal it will slip the TC. I know this for a fact as I have done it with two different trucks.
I'm not saying it can't be done.

I'm just saying it will hold more power when already locked, as opposed to unlocked under WOT and then trying to lock.

What happens on WOT when the TC gets the command to lock up?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JCLeary
I'm not saying it can't be done.

I'm just saying it will hold more power when already locked, as opposed to unlocked under WOT and then trying to lock.

What happens on WOT when the TC gets the command to lock up?
I agree with you on that point. BUT...if you look at your original post, you said the least damage done AFTER the TC locks - not while locking or trying to lock. In my mind there is a difference. Aside from the time while it's locking/trying to lock, I still hold that you can do more damage after lock than pre lock. After lock you are building heat becuase you are slipping clutches that are trying to stay locked. Pre lock, there is less friction(less heat) because the TC isn't trying to stay locked at that point.

Regardless - I think we both agree that with added power you can do damage to the stock tranny caused by slippage.