3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

H2O Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trik396
Thanks for the diagram. Where did you find that?

Also, do you think tee-ing off of the feed line before the t-stat and somehow running another coolant line to the back of the head at or before number six cylinder might aid in cooling? I seem to remember something like this being done on high performance small blocks to help cool off the hotter running rear cylinders.

I got the diagram from the shop service manual.

I still think the cab heater lines would be a good place to place a bypass valve. To help with both pressure and flow stagnation issues.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Check under the intake manifold. You will find a 1/2 return line that is used to prevent stagnation of the coolant in the block. I think there is another tap near to the recirc line port. You could also look at using the block coolant drain plug to install a gauge.

If you want worse case dead head pressure use one of the head ports near the back of the head by #6.
I will look again but I did not see any thing like that on the block when I looked.

yeah the head is where they suggest hooking a gauge but if there is a cylinder port I wanna try that first.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
I got the diagram from the shop service manual.

I still think the cab heater lines would be a good place to place a bypass valve. To help with both pressure and flow stagnation issues.
Can you descibe a simple bypass that would work using the heater lines? I'm just trying to do something so I don't run into this problem...
Old 04-29-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
Can you descibe a simple bypass that would work using the heater lines? I'm just trying to do something so I don't run into this problem...
I bet you could take out one of the head plugs and install a nipple (just like they use for the heater hoses --dealer part??) and connect that to the top hose...then it may run cold all the time????but if you put a old cable style heater valve in the line you could control it when ever you wanted from the cab
does that make sense???
Old 04-29-2007, 08:16 PM

here is some bad paint skills to show what I am talking about

you would need some type of tee to install in the top hose...witch would be easy to do
Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I bet you could take out one of the head plugs and install a nipple (just like they use for the heater hoses --dealer part??) and connect that to the top hose...then it may run cold all the time????but if you put a old cable style heater valve in the line you could control it when ever you wanted from the cab
does that make sense???
Bingo - just have the valve to open when you want to just jump on it and it does not matter if the fault is due to water pump or flashing it will dump pressure and increase flow around the #6 cylinder. Normal driving valve closed, getting ready to jump on it open the valve and go for it. Sort of like a "Battle Override" for the cooling system.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:04 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Camper,

Thanks fpr the diagram,. You're right, the pump does feed the block.

Wetspirit
Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 AM

here is some bad paint skills to show what I am talking about

you would need some type of tee to install in the top hose...witch would be easy to do
Ok, so I take out the plug and add the fitting. Which hose would I tap into with the tee? That's confusing me abit...
Old 04-30-2007, 09:55 AM

I will make a better diagram later today..
Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I poked around to find a spot to tap in the coolant system on the back of the block but I could not find any on the block it's self??? only the head.......

Why don't you tap into the frost plug that is blowing out???? Seems like the best place to read the PSI.

Has anyone thought of installing a gauge with memory?????????????????????
You may not see the PSI increase fast enough on a regular gauge. Abviously day to day driving PSI will NOT equal what racing conditions. If it is that fast of a reaction for the plug to pop out, then by the time you realize its popped the pressure reading you see will NOT be accurate. Needless to say most of us have enough gauges to try and keep track of already!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:13 PM

that plug is THIN!! and I don't think there's any way in the world you could tap it or weld it???

plus my truck is still stock. I don't think I have the computer programing or the turbo to blow a plug, so I am not in a huge hurry to hack it up just for a gauge.

I still need to look again but the plug I posted above is probably the best place to read it???
Old 04-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

just build a plate and machine an oring groove into it to seal around the core plug hole in the block. tap the plate. that way you wouldnt need a plug at all.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
just build a plate and machine an oring groove into it to seal around the core plug hole in the block. tap the plate. that way you wouldnt need a plug at all.
that would be a sweet set up
Old 04-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Banned

i will wait a few weeks to allow some corrosion to stain my plate, then pull it off. i should have a nice ring giving me the exact location of the plug in relation to the bolt pattern. then i will make a new plate and machine a groove into it. just gimme time, if someone else beats me to it, thanks for helping out.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK guys - I got the parts ordered today for the freeze plug BlowOut Eliminator kit... should be into the shop early next week, so I'll have the coolant pressure gauge and BOE kit installed before the Ardmore drags next weekend.

Quick Reply: H2O Pressure