3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

H2 Wheels & Tires ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H2 Wheels & Tires ???

Does anyone have a pic of their truck with these wheels and tires on it. If you do, could you please post it.

thanks
Old 12-26-2003, 01:33 PM

Hummer 2 wheels

I just finished mounting the wheels and attached a picture. The front tires clear by only a 1/2" on the rear during tight turn but I drove them and road up some curbs to see if they hit and have not. The caps did not snap on like I had thought do to the lug not counter bore but they seam to have enough grip.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:46 PM

Looks nice!
Old 12-26-2003, 02:29 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dra7,

Your rig looks great!
Are those the 315's ? How far do the tires stick out beyond the fenders? Did you install a leveling kit?
Thanks,

Wetspirit
Old 12-26-2003, 03:23 PM

Yes, the tire are 315s which are 34.5" tall. I have not installed a leveling kit so the truck sits stock. I may have to get flares.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:49 PM

dra7, the truck looks really good. I couldn't have asked for a better pic, it is the same truck I have, color, ect. I was wondering if you had to do any machining work on the wheels to get them to fit over the hubs on the dodge ???
Old 12-26-2003, 10:19 PM

That's sweet. Can you use the original Hummer caps since the Dodoge ones don't seem to fit so well? Most of the Hummer owners want bling bling, so you can pick these up for pretty cheap.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:01 AM

Hummer 2 wheels

Yes, I had to open both he center bore and the diameter where the center cap goes. The center bore gets opened very little and you may be able to do it with a hand grinder but be careful, you do't want to get it off center. I set them up on a cnc mill to do the modifcations. The caps do secure ok just not as good as I had hoped. I may add some window screen retainer material to the gap between the center cap and the wheel to ensure retension.
You can use the Hummer caps on the front axle but not on the rear do to the spindle extension for duelies. The Chevy and GMC center caps fit perfect without modifying the center cap mounting bore. You do have to change to the GM lug nut though. GM secures their center cap with threads on the outside of the lug nuts above the hex. I am not sure if the threads for the studs are the same though.
I have attached a close up of the mounted wheel.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:24 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dra7,

That setup looks so good! It must be great off road.
I'm wondering if you noticed a big change in your gear ratio with the 315's. I've got 3:73 gears and wonder if it will be geared too high with the 315's.

Thanks, Wetspirit
Old 12-30-2003, 11:33 AM

Could machining the center bore cause any adverse effects? Or is it such small amount (.050") that it really wouldn't effect the structural integrety. I ask because they look sharp and I'd definitely considered running them, but I don't want to modify the wheels and run the risk of weaken them. Nothing would be worst then running down the highway and having a wheel fail.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 12-30-2003, 05:31 PM

I have a 4:10 rear end and did not notice a change in pick up. I am checking my MPG change do to the wider tire. These tires on my truck change to speedometer about 6 MPH at 70. They will also put less mile on the truck. I register .9 for every mile or when I have gone 100,000 it will only show 90,000 on my odometer.

I don't belive I took out enough to effect the strength of the wheels. The area were the material was removed is in a colume loaded condition. This area is also backed up by 8 lugs which are in shear.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Hummer 2 wheels

Originally posted by dra7
I just finished mounting the wheels and attached a picture. The front tires clear by only a 1/2" on the rear during tight turn but I drove them and road up some curbs to see if they hit and have not. The caps did not snap on like I had thought do to the lug not counter bore but they seam to have enough grip.

You have to trim the thin metal spring retainers.

I cut .900" of the bottom ... ended up a perfect fit with a very slight gap between the cap rim and the wheel. 1" is a little too much.

Old 04-23-2004, 06:32 PM

When I cut down my caps i cut off 7/8" and then used my bench grinder to take off must of the bottom portion of the "L" that clips over the lug nut. They snap on perfectly and fit tight, look like they came from the factory that way.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jerry R
When I cut down my caps i cut off 7/8" and then used my bench grinder to take off must of the bottom portion of the "L" that clips over the lug nut. They snap on perfectly and fit tight, look like they came from the factory that way.
What did you use to cut the major material (plastic) with? I ended up using a Bridgport milling machine and a slitting saw.

I clipped the tabs with tin snips. Grinding them is a good idea too. Mine snap in quite well too.

Thanks everybody on these forums for turning me on to this and doing all the dirty work!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:30 PM

Hoot, I clamped my 18 volt skill saw to the side of my work bench. Blade parallel to top of bench and set it to cut off 7/8". Then set the blade depth just enough to cut thru the plastic. Then all you have to do is spin the cap.

Quick Reply: H2 Wheels & Tires ???