3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Group 31 Batteries Installed!!!! (Pics Included)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Group 31 Batteries Installed!!!! (Pics Included)

Well, after not getting much help through search or another thread I started (guess not many 3rd gens have done this upgrade) decided to just measure and take the plunge. Best thing I did!!!! I didn't have to do anything to the battery trays to make them fit. The plastic boxes have just enough flex and were just long enough that they simply wedged in. The 3rd gens also have the OEM battery clamps that bolt in the battery at the bottom, so I had to use/adapt a 2nd gen/universal style hold-down. Only minor problem you might run into is that cable length is a concern. All but one took just some re routing to gain slack. Only had to replace the passenger side battery-to-alternator cable cause it was too short. And, for just $99 each, alot cheaper and with better specs than even the best rated size65 on the market!!! 1000cca/1190ca's/185min reserve.

Here's how it all looks under the hood.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 AM

that is a rediculously large battery, when there is a picture on the battery for 2 people to carry it, that tells you something. This is something i might be interested in when its time to replace mine. Good job, we always need someone to take the plunge on prototype projects like this.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:43 AM
RLL

Good deal thanks for sharing the info!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Chapter President

All I can say to anyone toiling with what stock replacement batteries to get, is this: stop trying to figure out which is best and whether or not $150-$250 is worth getting a great battery in that size........just get rid of the stock size 65's and go with regular commercial grade 31's!!!!! Usually cheaper, and built better than even the best standard automotive types. Only downside I see is that the full replacement warranty for most 31's are just a year or two at best, and prorated to 3-4yrs with an average service life of 5yrs. But that's more to do with their type of end user/service than reliability.

The way I see it, if a battery is built to stand up to the rigors of farm/fleet/commercial&heavy equipment use for 4-5yrs, in our applications it should last far longer!!!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Job, looks good also...
Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I gotta say it cause I am OCD like that. Looks killer but fix that ground on the drivers battery! lol
Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by cbrahs
I gotta say it cause I am OCD like that. Looks killer but fix that ground on the drivers battery! lol
Already done! That actually had a spliced spade connector that got ripped off when I installed the battery. Took the pics in the parts store parking lot right after I installed everything. Had to wait until I got home to re-splice a new connector, so it's ok, you can calm down now!!!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 PM

Glad to hear they fit fine. I have a set of group 31's in my '01, but was wondering how well they would fit in the '05 when the time comes for new batteries. Was waiting for spring to pull them out of the '01 for testing purposes in the '05. Now I won't have to do that. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Man those look huge.. Looks like you'll be adding Timberens to the front now to help with that weight
Old 01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by streetsmoker
Already done! That actually had a spliced spade connector that got ripped off when I installed the battery. Took the pics in the parts store parking lot right after I installed everything. Had to wait until I got home to re-splice a new connector, so it's ok, you can calm down now!!!!!
I am just messin with ya but I am really OCD on electrical though! LOL
Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Man those look huge.. Looks like you'll be adding Timberens to the front now to help with that weight

They are only 11lb. more than the OEM batteries. Stockers were 47# these are 58#. Not really that much difference, and lighter than the Diehard Platinum/Odyessey by 6 pounds.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was planning on doing this to mine but didnt think they would fit!

does it crank over a lot faster? i did this to my first gen when i first got it and the thing would crank over like it was the energizer bunny
Old 01-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the info and pictures.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 1985cucv
i was planning on doing this to mine but didnt think they would fit!

does it crank over a lot faster? i did this to my first gen when i first got it and the thing would crank over like it was the energizer bunny

When it's warm, don't notice anything different. Yesterday morning, 25* (I know thats not very cold to some of you) cold start, no block heater, no waiting for start light to go out............just as a test for the new batteries..............now thats when I noticed a huge difference!!!!!! Fast doesn't seem a good enough word, more like instant start!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 02:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, nice install and pics. I need to do this to my '08 as I'm adding an air compressor for my train horns. Thanks for posting this up.

-K

Quick Reply: Group 31 Batteries Installed!!!! (Pics Included)