3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

grille/deer guards

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question grille/deer guards

We just bought an '04 1 ton diesel, and since it is being used for work mostly in the bush, it has to have a guard put on it. Most of the options up here seem to be made of aluminum, which wont do a whole lot more than the grille would if you catch a moose. Also having a hard time even finding a guard for an '04.
Any ideas? Suggestions? We're in Northern Alberta if that helps any.
Thanks.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:49 AM

Bumpers

Check out buckstop bumpers web site.These are not grill guards,they are replacement bumpers.They look HEAVY duty.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:08 AM

You might also want to give Ranch Hand a look. www.ranchhand.com

Old 01-31-2004, 09:54 AM

Here is the one I chose and I have no complaints. They used my new 2004 red truck on their web site too.

http://www.buckstop.biz/dodge03.html

I chose the black powder coat finish but they will color match your truck. I also bought the winch bumper with the 12K Warn winch. No deer will hurt this truck now especially with the 4" lift and 35" tires. Elk Will certainly get your attention but the truck might survive. All bets are off with moose they are just too big. With this Bumper you could hit a deer and not even bother to stop. Just hose off the hair and goo when you get home. This is the best made and heavy duty bumper I have used that is actually affordable. Ruenel makes a massive bumper too but they are about 25% the cost of the truck!
Old 01-31-2004, 10:17 AM

I am a dealer for Southwest fabricators and I have one of their front end replacements on my 02'. I love it, heavy as hell and ya aint gonna tear it up. Check out their stuff at............

www.southwestfabricators.com
Old 02-02-2004, 09:40 PM

the only problem is that most of those are bumper replacements as well, and we dont really need that, just the extra strength in the grille area.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Banned

Jessica,
I would agree that your best move fro front end protection would be to contact any one of several quality bumper manufacturers. There are many that can fill your needs. The bolt on grill guards that many use are cosmetic only. There is no real protection offered, they are there for looks, and indeed they look impressive. Only problem is they are bolted to basically plastic, so how could they offer protection to the front end, if they have no bases or foundation to draw from? You seem very well informed and willing to do what is needed, good luck on your project and let us know what you chose and how it went.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by y-knot
Jessica,
The bolt on grill guards that many use are cosmetic only. Only problem is they are bolted to basically plastic, so how could they offer protection to the front end, if they have no bases or foundation to draw from?
while i agree that there are a lot of cosmetic guards, there are useful ones out there. the one on my truck is bolted to the frame, as was the one on my the truck we just sold. so i guess what's left is to find someone who makes that kind for newer dodges.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:23 PM

try Manik.com I had one on my 2nd gen truck and it was very stout I hit a Ford explorer and did 1500 dollars worth of damage to Ford Explorer without harming my truck or brushguard. It's stout enough that you can mount a winch on the bumper with the addition of a which mount plate. I believe it will support up to a 9000 pound winch. I had the 1 part design.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:28 AM

My 2 cents,

Good question....up here we really dont have access to all the stuff the guys down south have. It wasnt too long ago that I priced a Ranchhand grill guard in Edmonton, the price was $1800 + GST. The same guard sells for less than $500 in Texas. I guess what Im saying is it aint going to be cheap...expect to pay upwards of $1500....

I believe that if you are going to go head to head with a moose, you need the full replacement bumper...Ive spent some time in the bush and the Alberta oilpatch and know that a grill guard isnt going to offer a whole lot of protection.

Good bumpers that I know of are:

http://www.buckstop.biz/
http://dodgeram.org/bill_s/front_bumper.htm
http://www.reunel.com/
http://www.ranchhand.com/
http://www.prozap.com/
http://www.aliarc.com/

Or you can make your own...

there are a few others - most of which escape me at this point....Ill repost if I think of any others....
Old 02-04-2004, 02:30 PM

Sounds like its time for a vacation in Texas to pick up a bumper!!
Old 02-04-2004, 09:02 PM

Roadarmor makes an attractive steel front bumper. Can't vouch as to it's ruggedness. Careful if you're considering a Reunel. It's weighs nearly 400 lbs. and can seriously tax the stock springs under heavy braking. The brush guard is made from solid rod stock, not tubing!
Old 02-04-2004, 09:11 PM

while I dont have one YET, I have to say go for a buckstop/ranchhand/etc....

although they aren't cheap, neither is replacing the factory one. for instance I slid into a guardrail in the snow and need to replace the upper and lower plastic pieces of my front bumper....those pieces alone are around 350 bucks

kinda stuck now as to whether drive around with a busted bumper till I can afford a buckstop or just replace the stocker.

just a thought, good luck with your decision
Jeff
Old 09-27-2004, 02:39 AM

I want to get a bumper/grill guard and went to buckstop to take a peek.
Thanks for the link JJHACK

Those are the most impressive bumpers I've seen. I really don't think they are that expensive compared to some others I've read about. What the Heck, it's only money and those bumpers could save you a lot more. Now I've just got to sell the wife on one.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:19 AM

I have a used Southwest Fabricators front replacement that came off of my wife's 03' Dodge that I need to get rid of. It was on the truck for about 4 month's. It'll fit any 03 and up Dodge HD. PM me if anybody's interested.

Quick Reply: grille/deer guards