3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Gravity Feed Aux Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gravity Feed Aux Fuel Tank

I just received the Diesel Install Kit from Northern Tool. The 45-gal tank won't be here for at least another week. But my question is in regards to the gravity-feed kit. Has anyone had any problems with this set up ? Out of the box, it certainly isn't very impressive. A hose, a valve, and a float-valve tee with some very questionable welds. If it works, I'll be happy. If not, I'll feel I paid $70 for $5 worth of parts. Please let me know your opinions. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:00 PM

Let me clarify...

...it's the float-valve that has me really concerned. If it fails, will fuel spill out the diesel cap ?
Old 09-05-2006, 03:06 PM

I have that same set up. So far, so good. I too was concerned with the float sticking and leaking. I have make it a habit to check everytime I get out of the truck to make sure of no leaks. I also have a ball valve at the tank that I can turn off if there is a problem.

The 70$ was much better sounding to me than the 300$ for the electric kit.

Good luck, I am betting you will be happy with it.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:48 PM

I just installed a RDS 60 gal tank last 2 week ago with the gravity feed kit, it works perfectly.

These tanks are 12" high, the filler neck is only about an inch higher than the truck filler neck, after you burn 2 0r 3 gallons there is no way it can over flow because the fuel level is below the main filler cap.

When i first filled mine i left the main tank empty, the gravity feed transfered the fuel thru a 10 micron filter and filled the main tank in 3 hours, about twice as fast as i burn it while towing.

And i works fine along with my FASS return dumped into the same line.

Rick D
Old 09-05-2006, 05:04 PM

I have a 105 gallon tank in my bed and simply put a tee into the 3/4 vent tube that parallels the filler pipe.
I have read that the cap on my 2005 is not vented. I do know I have left my aux valve open for a long time and never lost any fuel.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:05 PM

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced 12v valve that will handle diesel fuel?
I would like to hook one up to a relay and timer so I don't have to open a manual valve
Old 09-05-2006, 05:22 PM

The only way the fuel will leak out is if the gas cap is no good.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:40 PM

I appreciate the input

I guess the question is: is my gas cap vented ? It's an '06 3500. I've looked all over the internet and haven't found a definitive answer.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:13 PM

Suck on it?

Yes...it is one way vented. Air in...but no fuel out. Splice into the vent line...works like a charm every time. It will also figure out for you if you have the wrong 1/4" plastci barbs in the top of your OEM tank...if fuel starts to leak out once your Aux is full.

You can just connect the two barbs together with a short piece of fule line and a couple of hose clamps...
Old 09-05-2006, 06:45 PM
tdm

O.K....... This brings up a question, if I connect the two open fittings on top of the tank.... then the only venting that takes place is through the filler neck and cap.... Right?

If the cap is only "vented" to allow air in then how does the air vent while filling from the drip line (AUX TANK)?? Does the cap have something like a float valve that will let air flow both ways till fuel rises and closes it off??

Also, Why doesn't fuel flow out the vents on the tank top when I top off the tank (fuel up the fill hose is much higher than the top of the tank and vents)??

Don't mean to take over..... I have a RDS tank on its way right now also
Old 09-05-2006, 07:03 PM

Not all trucks have the funny vents on top of the tank, seems some trucks ended up with left over from GAS trucks.

Rick
Old 09-06-2006, 09:46 AM

Vented cap on the aux tank...

They are not vents on the top of the tank...they should be "plugged" barbs...
Old 09-06-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There really is no need to pay $70 for a gravity feed kit with these types of tanks. If you do a search, I once posted all of the parts needed, as has FiverBob. All you really need as posted above is a ball valve from the bottom of the tank, a 90 degree fitting to go down thru the bed, and a T to tap into the overflow line from the filler neck, 3/8" ID from the tank to 3/4" ID overflow tube. I plumbed mine down thru a racor 2 micron filter which works well, and still fills the tank pretty quickly, a lot faster than 3 hours. I think I still have some pics in my gallery.

The fuel cap is sealed as cq mentioned - I leave my fuel valve open almost all the time and nothing ever comes out of the filler neck/cap.

I would recommend running a hose from the barbed fuel vent on the aux tank near the filler neck, down to under the bed and up to as clean/dry of a location as you can find. When the aux tank fills the main tank, air is sucked in the vent to displace the fuel...if it's been raining or water/dirt is present on the barb, it will suck it into the fuel. I have mine going down thru the bed and up underneath near the filler neck..with a little foam 2 micron pcv breather filter on the end. It was 10 bux, and it's nice to know that no dirt or crap will be sucked into the fuel.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:37 PM

I bought kit from RDS for $50 and it works great. Did not have to drop tank or anything. It would be very easy to make a rollover vent valve and a peice of tubing to put in filler neck drilled and tapped for vent valve. I didn't try it but you may be able to just plumb in to vent on tank as the guys say but what if some idiot opened the cap you would have a real mess.