3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

GPS vehicle theft tracking

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS vehicle theft tracking

I'm considering have a anti theft GPS locater system installed on my new truck. Time I get it fully decked out I will have $70K into it so want to have it remain mine.
Only thing I can find that looks good is http://www.gpspolice.net/news.php
Intial cost I can go along with but do not like the idea of also paying a monthly premium forever. Anyone here have a better idea ? Pre big thanks for any info.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:41 AM

check out LOJACK... they work very well and once activated the signal is usually picked up within an hour.. Police helicopters also have the ability to track LOJACK hits..

I think they have 2 systems.. the standard if it is stolen you have to notify the police and they activate it.. no fee for this one..

I think they still have an upgraded on that calls you if your alarm goes off and then you tell them if it is stolen or not (not sure about a fee on this one..
Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 AM

I seriously considered adding all the OEM security features (gray key transponder and factory alarm) to my truck, plus I also looked at GPS and LoJack tracking systems. However, after much research I finally settled on a Ravelco (www.ravelco.com) instead.

The supposedly secure key transponders are successfully defeated all the time. Just look at the Cadillac Escalade, it has the OEM key transponder as standard equipment (all of the OEM key transponders are based off of the same underlying Texas Instruments technology) and yet it is the #1 stolen vehicle in the country!

As for alarms, a group a Mexican auto insurance companies performing their own testing has yet to find an alarm (besides Ravelco, which technically isn't an alarm, it's an immobilizer) that they couldn't defeat within 3 minutes (they gave up after 35 minutes of trying to circumvent the Ravelco). Plus you'll find all kinds of stories on the internet about thieves actually breaking into vehicles just steal the expensive aftermarket alarm systems!

The LoJack won't even be activated until a police report is filled, and then they only have statewide coverage in 8 states (which they claim covers 80% of the population, I guess the other 42 states don't have a problem with auto theft?) and some other major metropolitan areas. Plus, you have to rely on a police asset with the appropriate tracking equipment actually being in range of the vehicle. So for instance in my case (central Texas), it seems that the thieves only have to drive the vehicle 100-200 miles to be out of coverage (say towards Mexico).

As for the GPS systems, they rely on cellular phone service, so all the thieves have to do is park the vehicle in an underground parking garage or maybe one of those multi-modal metal shipping containers until they locate and defeat the system (LoJack may also possibly be defeated in this manner). For you On-Star folks, the thieves routinely just break the On-Star antenna, no more tracking...

In any case, the thieves have now technically stolen your vehicle and it had to be recovered, so now a Carfax search will show that the vehicle has been stolen and recovered which will lower its resale value. The Ravelco system has never been successfully defeated despite being installed in over 3 million vehicles worldwide over the last 30 years. Yes, the thieves will probably cause a few hundred dollars of damage trying to steal the car and will be able to make off with the contents, but they won't get the vehicle. Technically, the vehicle was never stolen, so it won't have any sort of branded title or show up on a Carfax search as recovered. Given the expensive accessories (the color matched Line-X Xtra bed liner, AMP Research power steps and Bed Step, grill guard, etc.) that I intend to install on my truck, I would never recover any of these expenses (most insurance companies won't pay for aftermarket accessories) if the vehicle was not recovered and I had to take an insurance settlement. Plus if it was stolen here in the short-term, I'd be faced with the dilemma of trying to find another good used 5.9L Cummins or having to get a new vehicle with the 6.7L (don't get me wrong I love Cummins, but I'm not sure that I want to be the guinea pig on the first year with all this new emissions junk, although that 6-speed would be sweet). No, just give me back my current slightly damaged baby where she stands as opposed to letting some jerks take her for a joy ride and do god knows what to her. Plus the Ravelco is comparatively inexpensive ($300 + tax installed, in my case), with no ongoing maintenance fees.

No, I don't work for Ravelco, and in the interest of full disclosure I don't yet have the Ravelco (mine will be installed in 2 days, I can't wait!). I just thought that I'd share with others what I found and my thought process for finally going with the Ravelco. Also, I have installed the GateKeeper and will be installing Jimmi'Jammers shortly (www.jimmijammer.com).
Old 12-28-2006, 04:03 PM

That system sounds really good.. and it is ALWAYS better to not have your car stolen than to have it stolen and recovered, and if a pursuit is involved!!! who knows what condition your vehicle will be in when done>.

I did see another alarm that was excellent!!.. I do not know who installed it or what brand it was but it worked!!! we recovered a vehicle in the middle of the street with this system. It also helps you during a carjacking incident and allows you to let the vehicle go and be safe...

Here is how it worked:

Inside the car is a hidden pressure switch.. when you start the car or the door is opened and the vehicle is running you have to depress the switch within 3 minutes... if you do not then the vehicle stops and the horn and lights start honking and flashing.. At this point MOST thief's will just abandon the vehicle in the middle of the road and the traffic hazard will have the local law on the way..

I liked it because it allows someone to give up the car keys and have the bad guy get away from you yet the vehicle can still be recovered shortly..
Old 12-28-2006, 05:56 PM

I saw a gps tracking deal on www.racingjunk.com think I found it in towing
Old 12-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by strailey
I seriously considered adding all the OEM security features (gray key transponder and factory alarm) to my truck, plus I also looked at GPS and LoJack tracking systems. However, after much research I finally settled on a Ravelco (www.ravelco.com) instead.
ok, explain to me how that prevents someone from backing up to your truck w/ a minute-man and dragging it away?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:21 PM

Forrest,

No, it is true that the Ravelco will not protect against the tow-truck scenario. Having the wheels turned fully, will make it a little more difficult for them and may cause them to pick another target...

If you want to protect against all scenarios, you will have to use a layered security approach using multiple devices. Maybe a noise marker alarm with glass breakage detectors and Jimmi'Jammers to help deter contents theft, a Ravelco to deter driving off with the vehicle, and a GPS or LoJack as the last line of defense in the tow-truck scenario or if all the other layers fail.

IMHO, the Ravelco was the best single device, it protected against the widest range of attacks (code scanners, ECM swaps, key bypass modules, hot wiring, steering column/lock cylinder attacks, and basically cannot be disabled or bypassed in the field like most other alarms) for the least amount of money (~$300) with no ongoing monthly fees.

Based on Gitpik's original post, it seemed like he was looking at using the GPS/LoJack as the sole line of defense, which is a mistake IMO, for the reasons I previously outlined (you are now in a recovery mode, instead of preventing them from taking it in the first place).

Like most things in real life, it's very difficult and very expensive to protect against all conceivable contingencies. For the moment, I've decided that completely protecting against the smash-and-grab contents theft is nearly impossible and that the tow-truck scenario is an acceptable risk.

For those of you considering GPS units, https://www.vehiclerecover.com:2004/pick_plan.php has the least expensive equipment/plan costs that I found. Basically, $250 for the unit and $30 a year for the service with 14 locates (assuming that you are only going to use this for vehicle recovery, if you want to track your kids on a regular basis you may be better off with a different service).
Old 12-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Banned

my Viper setup calls me on the cell if something is set off, and I can start tracking it real time.

I'm not really worried about the truck being broken into and started... I've got Jimmy Jammers, but a window can be broken, etc.

but my biggest fear is a tow truck hooking up and rolling... those are the hard core guys. the fact that I've got a decent alarm tends to ward off the joy riders.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:43 PM

if they really want to take ur truck ,,they will take it no matter what u have in it ,,its just the matter of makeing it has hard as possible for them to take it

if they really want to take ur truck ,,they will take it no matter what u have in it ,,its just the matter of making it has hard as possible for them to take it

if they really want to take ur truck ,,they will take it no matter what u have in it ,,its just the matter of making it has hard as possible for them to take it
Old 12-28-2006, 09:56 PM

Since when we come home most of us park in th e same spot everytime. Be nice if someone invented some kind of pressure switch that when you drive on some kind of pad, you can then arm from the home. If someone moves the truck a alarm goes off in the home & in the truck plus lights flashing, horn and the whole 9 yards. This would even scare off the tow trucks. an invention waiting to happen.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:02 PM

Hide a cutoff switch for the fuel pump. At least they will never drive it away themselves........
You cant really protect against a tow truck. If you figure out a way, you'll be rich!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:18 PM

I wonder how the US Military stops anyone from stealing their Hummers ? Maybe a little C4 under the seat ? :-)
Old 12-28-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by tacook
You cant really protect against a tow truck. If you figure out a way, you'll be rich!
Wonder if they'd be able to use a standard tow truck, or even a flatbed, to take Hoss's truck, with the extra weight of the concrete bedliner!

Quick Reply: GPS vehicle theft tracking