3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

got smoked by a duramax last night, what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need a tranny! I'm not that familiar with the autos, since I have mostly read up on the 6 speeds, but I have heard a TC lockup switch is a pretty easy and worthwhile mod... Do you have that done?

Jason
Old 11-05-2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by SMOKIN-U
well my friend has an 01 duramax regular cab 6speed 4x4. The only mods he has is a ppe hot plus2 e.t. eliminator and south bend dual disk clutch. I was running my ez all the way up and triple dog with 2.4.1. His has a stock intake and exhaust, while mine has aftermarket. we are both regular cabs so i figure we should be similar on weight. we got beside each other going about 30 and laid the hammer down, by the time my truck shifted into o/d he was like an 1/8 mile ahead of me. I wanna know what happened besides me getting my butt kicked. i thought we would be about the same hp but i wont know for sure till next saturday. He set up a little dyno contest between the two of us at a local shop. it will be a mustang dyno i have ran on it before. The last time was with the ez,intake,and exhaust and i put down 361hp and 705 tq. thats what i dont understand i should be over 500 with the triple dog easily. I am not for sure what the ppe will give him i just know its rated at 350hp at the crank. he has aslo dynoed there before as well and stock he put down 274hp. sorry for such a long thread but i wanted to get all the info in there. i need to know what you guys think i freakin ticked i thought i would walk all over him. do you guys think my tranny was slippen? thanks

I don't see a lift pump in your sig. If you are running the stock lift pump then the EZ is draining your rail for you. Mine did all by itself and then I added the Juice and it completely fell on it's face. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? I bet it reads 0 under WOT. Add a FASS or Walbro and see the difference. You won't believe it.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:34 AM

Your tranny can't put the EZ to the ground Running a BD and EZ with a stock tranny is tupid. You deserved to get your tail kicked...and his 6 speed manual is slow compared to a built allison....consider yourself lucky. ks
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM

JRussel, i have heard that scarry larry will give 280ish on an 05 auto and petifile larry has more power than that. to everyone else my truck is totally stock except for the mods in my sig.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:12 AM

doesnt sound like many people on this site are familiar with ppe, the power is crazy, i think their even better for the duramax, i have the reg. not even the hot ver. on the middle tune, and can stomp all the other trucks around town, most run the bully dog comp. on the c.l. yall talk about. I dont play now ,dont have the clutch but when it held for a while there was a big diff. in the tuners. one buddy liked the way mine ran so well he bought the ppe and put on his 06 dodge auto, loaded the middle tune also 155hp and the tranny gave up immediatley, hes been running B.Dog on the extreme tune for over a year, with the ppe it didnt even make it to overdrive. i understand its all talk theres no numbers to compair it to, no one else uses it and ive never had clutch YET to test it, but i will soon. maybe 2 weeks ill have the clutch and ill load the extreme tune 215hp and find a dyno, for some numbers, im very curious my self.i would think if its around 280+ stock [6speed] and if the ppe does its claimed numbers, and the ez turned up, it should do 500+ but you never know, ive read where some of you done worse than expected, and some better.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Banned

I have been gone for a week just reading back up on this thread and you guys need to relieze the difference between rear wheel horse power and crank horse power. PPE is crank horse power not to the rear wheels, and bully dog is rwhp and crazy larry bully dog claims 180 rwhp but it dynoed 140 rwhp at bully dog days they did last summer. I dont know for cummins but ppe is amazing for the dmax, they now have an upgraded race tune for the hot 2+ thats 325hp to the motor but thats still insane.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:53 AM

If you think you are going to be over 500hp with just a programmer and intake/exhaust your wrong. To handle 500hp

1st you need a tranny (TC/VB and more)
2nd is a turbo, your stock turbo isnt going to do jack for 500hp
3rd is more fuel. you need a fass and a mod cp3.
These are all pre-req's for hitting 500
Old 11-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sevir
If you think you are going to be over 500hp with just a programmer and intake/exhaust your wrong. To handle 500hp

1st you need a tranny (TC/VB and more)
2nd is a turbo, your stock turbo isnt going to do jack for 500hp
3rd is more fuel. you need a fass and a mod cp3.
These are all pre-req's for hitting 500
That's not true. Plenty of people have dyno'd at or near 500hp with just a programmer and intake/exhaust.

1) Shane and Creed have pretty much proven you don't need a tranny to put that kind of power down. How long the stocker will last is debatable, but the fact is it can and has been done.

2) The stocker will cool 450-500hp at 40-42psi of boost. It might not be optimal, but it will work.

3) Needing an aftermarket lift pump I agree with, but you do not need a modded CP3 for 500hp. Lots of people have dyno'd over 500hp with the stock CP3.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:33 AM

Yeah those Duramaxs are crazy fast, I mean they can get into the 13s with just a programmer! On two separate occasions I almost purchased one. If I were you I would do some tranny mods, at least a VB and TC, a beefed up fuel system and a turbo, like a PS 62 or A 3k or something and you should be in the 500s.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:39 AM

What gearing ratio are you 2 guys running?

Originally Posted by SMOKIN-U
well my friend has an 01 duramax regular cab 6speed 4x4. The only mods he has is a ppe hot plus2 e.t. eliminator and south bend dual disk clutch. I was running my ez all the way up and triple dog with 2.4.1. His has a stock intake and exhaust, while mine has aftermarket. we are both regular cabs so i figure we should be similar on weight. we got beside each other going about 30 and laid the hammer down, by the time my truck shifted into o/d he was like an 1/8 mile ahead of me. I wanna know what happened besides me getting my butt kicked. i thought we would be about the same hp but i wont know for sure till next saturday. He set up a little dyno contest between the two of us at a local shop. it will be a mustang dyno i have ran on it before. The last time was with the ez,intake,and exhaust and i put down 361hp and 705 tq. thats what i dont understand i should be over 500 with the triple dog easily. I am not for sure what the ppe will give him i just know its rated at 350hp at the crank. he has aslo dynoed there before as well and stock he put down 274hp. sorry for such a long thread but i wanted to get all the info in there. i need to know what you guys think i freakin ticked i thought i would walk all over him. do you guys think my tranny was slippen? thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 01:19 PM

first i didnt say just a programmer, you did. If you reread i said IF ppe does its claimed numbers AND with my ez Turned up. And i understand ppe ratings are fw, i guess the bigger numbers makes them feel better, i agree i wished everyone advertised the same but they dont. But still take the 15% for manuals ans 21% for autos off their numbers and their still higher than the others i seen. Dont know, talk is cheap. just stating good for my product like everyone else does that likes what they have! Think about it though the fuel system for our trucks and the duramax are very,very simular, and no one makes more power on the cebeys than PPE!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by stock600
first i didnt say just a programmer, you did. If you reread i said IF ppe does its claimed numbers AND with my ez Turned up. And i understand ppe ratings are fw, i guess the bigger numbers makes them feel better, i agree i wished everyone advertised the same but they dont. But still take the 15% for manuals ans 21% for autos off their numbers and their still higher than the others i seen. Dont know, talk is cheap. just stating good for my product like everyone else does that likes what they have! Think about it though the fuel system for our trucks and the duramax are very,very simular, and no one makes more power on the cebeys than PPE!
your forgetting EFI live, but a PPE on a dmax will smoke a lot of trucks out there
Old 11-12-2007, 01:35 PM

Yea i know nothing about them, isnt that mostly the ford crowd favorite like my ppe is for the GM guys? I think thats what a ford was running the other night running 8.6s at the track.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by stock600
Yea i know nothing about them, isnt that mostly the ford crowd favorite like my ppe is for the GM guys? I think thats what a ford was running the other night running 8.6s at the track.
no I think ford is SCT but i dont know, if you know how to work it EFI live on a chevy will make easy in the 500hp range at the wheels w/ nothing else
Old 11-12-2007, 06:47 PM

i have 3.73 gears in my truck and he has the stock gears in his i know they are not 4.10's so whatever would be in there factory?

Quick Reply: got smoked by a duramax last night, what gives?