3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

got a prob!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shouldn't be bad, just heavy...I'd replace the studs while you were at it, help keep this problem from happening. Make sure you check for cracks in the head.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are any where near central Calif. take it to Browns Diesel in Riverdals Ca.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:52 PM

Yea I planned on replacing the studs with better ones. The stock turbo was obly pushn 42 psi boost. I thought the head and gasket would hold more than that. A I wrong?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:56 AM

Has anybody else had this prob? Some other people on here have way more hp than me. Is this a common issue?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:50 AM

I just recently blew my head gasket and changed it myself. Had the head O-ringed while I was at it. If you got coolant in your oil, the head has to come off anyways to see how its getting in the oil. Just get an engine hoist to get the head off easier without damaging the block or head surface. Then you can inspect everything, maybe even have Don check your injectors while they are out.

btw, my gasket blew between the cylinders so I had no smoke, just a slight thumpin noise and poor performance.

Good luck with it!

Keegan
Old 05-04-2008, 10:23 AM

Yea my motor kinda thumps and vibrates pretty hard. But it blows white smoke awful when ideling. Bout to how to oring the head? And what are the benifits? If I did burn up a piston should I buy after market or just put stock back in it? If its injectors thrn which ones should I get
Old 05-04-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I see no need for you to o-ring the head. It's not very common at all to have a headgasket go with what you are running. If your turbo's drive pressure gets out of whack by running to much boost, you may loose a head gasket. Haven't read of this issue much. As far as injectors, F1 injectors or DDP seem to be the choice. I like F1 Flux injectors. The only way to tell exactly what happen to your truck is to pull the head. Since you have milky oil you don't have much choice. Best of luck to ya.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 AM

He might as well do the springs too right?
......I think I would
Old 05-04-2008, 12:33 PM

what springs do I need and round bout how much are they. I'm going to take my truck to dodge and let them fix it.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by smoky05
what springs do I need and round bout how much are they. I'm going to take my truck to dodge and let them fix it.

O rings are rings milled around the cylinder surface on the head that press harder on the gasket to keep it from blowing.

If your taking it to the dealer, it won't be an option. Its what us performance guys do to prevent head gasket loss in the future. Of course, if you only run the stock turbo and keep it under 45lbs of boost, but do head studs, the stock MLS gasket should be fine. Mine blew when I was above 60lbs of boost and about 90lbs of drive pressure.

I personally would avoid the dealership unless you've got an inside guy you trust. Especially if your installing aftermarket parts.

F1 injectors for sure Flux 1's unless your gonna keep drag racing and running it hard. If your gonna be building alot more HP in the future with turbos and what not, then you can step up to flux 2's or higher depending on your final goals.

Springs are over $600 I think and again, depends on your goals with the truck as to whether or not you should invest in them.

Stock pistons are probably fine too. Triton knows alot more about pistons because he melted his and did the research when he had Schied build his new motor.

Get that head off, take some pics and let us know what happened.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:32 PM

I suggested the valve springs cause it seems like I've been running across more posts about guys ending up having contact between the valves and pistons......and not always from running high RPM. Well high, but not over 4000 which you would need the TNT R tune for. Thought I'd seen some talk of piston valve slap happening at and around 3500 in some cases. Anyway when you're in there and you're already doing studs and possibly his headgasket you might as well do the springs, for extra insurance.

And I agree, my first thought was DO NOT take it the dealer
You could, but I think you'd be better off finding a performance shop or someone on here local that might give you a hand with it. MY .02
Old 05-04-2008, 04:40 PM

Avoid the dealer. Find someone to help you. Easy job too do.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:40 PM

i have an inside guy at dodge. he has done all my tranny work. i have a great warranty. i took a look at the motor a min ago and there is oil that leaked from thehead. i prob wont do anymore performance because im tired of breaking stuff. but i am definitly goint to do the head studs. my mods will prob stay the same, maybe a turbo and cfm manifold. is there any other mods i should do to the head while there in there? such as spring and what not. most of yall have more mods than me so what do yall suggest? i drive my truck on the p/l and teh quad x2 all the way up all the time. guess i should start turning the quad down
Old 05-04-2008, 04:58 PM

Sounds like an injector

If this happened right after a wot run I bet you sucked some crappie into an injector. I'd bet you are NOT running a 2micron filter if that's the way it happened. You need to.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:33 PM

It was during a wot at 110mph! Ouch! Wher do I get one of those filters

Quick Reply: got a prob!