3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Got a new to me 03! Need help picking mods!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a new to me 03! Need help picking mods!

Just sold my 01 24 valve HO 6 speed and picked up this 03.

Its a late 03(Built in April 03) Laramie with HO Cummins and 48RE. It has just about every option there is short of cab clearence lights and aluminum wheels. It has Navigation, heated black leather, power pedals, anti spin, 3.73s, Sirius, etc. Has 58,000 miles. He traded this truck for a Tacoma? Go figure? Picked it up for $23,000. Had to drive 650 miles to get it. Seemed like a good deal from what I had been looking at. Its almost spotless except for a couple tiny door dings.

Previous owner put on a KORE leveling kit with FOX remote reservoir shocks in the front, a 1" lift with Fox shocks in the back. Rides really nice! Also has AMP Research fold out steps. As well as a Rollback tonneau cover, stainless rockers, 285/70R17 BFG ATs, and spray in liner.

Got between 16-18.5 MPG on the way back from Fort Collins, CO. 18.5 was going about 75. 16 was doing 80-82 MPH. Was pretty windy too. Pretty happy with the mileage for stock.

Anyways, looking at doing similar things that I done to my 01. I know I'm going to do a Goerend Triple disc converter and valvebody, along with Mag Hytec deep pan.

Beyond that I'm getting gauges. Opinions on Dipricols vs Isspro? Had bad luck with Autometers on my 01. Probably doing trans temp, EGT, boost and probably fuel pressure.

Exhaust: The straight piped third gens I've heard sound like *** compared to my 01. I'm not going that route. I think the 5" on the 3rd gens sounds deeper and better. Am going to lose low end by going to 5" system? Especially with a 5" downpipe? I know you can buy the elbow, pipe and clamp for a 04.5 in order to run the 5" down pipe. Is there a down side to this? Any 4" systems sound deeper or quieter without the ricer sound?

TURBO: Probably going to upgrade turbo down the road, but what do I need a boost elbow like my 01?

Air intake?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:31 PM

I would do a 5" turbo back system. Makes em alot deeper. I just put a silver bullet on my truck friday and It gave my truck a totally different sound. Made it alot deeper and louder and no more ricey sound. Be sure and put a 6" tip on it too, it makes a difference. I would also get a aFe stage 2 intake for it. It really makes that turbo sing to ya.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:08 PM

I think your gonna lose low end from what Ive heard going with the 5" I have 4" with a aeroturbine and I like the sound not ricer like at all. I think the Isspros are the closest match to stock gauges.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:48 PM

Ordered Isspros

Bought a used Smarty Jr. Might go with senior when I upgrade turbo some day. Until then the jr should be fine

I was thinking about the aeroturbine myself

Anyone have the silverline?

Whats the opinion on the boost elbow? Is this needed to make 30-35 lbs of boost?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 PM

I dont think youll need the boost elbow to see those boost #s I see high 30s
Old 04-14-2008, 07:40 PM

Shouldda mentioned you were coming down! I would have been more then happy to show you Dipricol in the truck and let you try my electronics! I think your going the right route with the smarty personaly I would have put in Dipricols they are very high quality and there is a guy down here who sells them really cheap. Where did you go to Petersons? I looked there just before I picked mine up from Boulder Colorado. Hate that town......
Old 04-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 03's sure are sweet. All the power (if you can afford it) and still maintain the fuel mileage for a daily driver.

Lessons learned on mine:

(1) Go with a 4" exhaust. It is plenty and the drone of 5" will kill you unless you go with stacks.

(2) Unless your preference (excuse my subject/verb agreement) is round analog, go with digital. Much more accurate at a glance and easy on the eyes. Outlook Monitor is #1 in my book followed by the Quad Commander (love the new web site though!).

(3) Smarty is great, but not on the 03's. It has never performed on the 03's as well as the others: i.e., stuck throttle syndrome (wild TM), crazy timing rattle (any program), and the codes on re-program. I've tried three different Smarties and all of the programs. Do a search and read. Those that have run nothing but the Smarty on an 03 love it. Those that have tried a plethora of boxes on an 03 and have a good base to compare it to knows it does not run as smooth/problem free as it should. Try a VA C3.2 (duration only). It has no timing advance, so it tends to run on the hot side, but with the with the other mods you mention, you should be fine. It is the safest (no pressure), smoothest, most problem free box you can get for an 03. You will love it.

(4) Never tried any other torque converter than ATS triple disk, and it has served me well, but get the tightest converter you can get for your 03. You will be much happier with it than a looser disk like the ATS. I have ridden in 03's with a DTT 91% converter, and I liked it much better. Stick with 91% or getter.

(5) The best thing you can do for power and fuel mileage is pick up a set of F1 injectors. Unlike the 04.5's and up, F1 creates a totally new spray pattern for your 03 injectors which makes all the difference in the world. You will not regret the investment.

There are lot of knowledgeable folks here, but if they are not driving an 03 or 04-305......their advise may not apply. Totally different engines and everything is different. Just remember that. Happy bombing!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:53 PM

I bought it at Pederson Toyota

I already paid for the Smarty Junior, so I am going to give it a try

If I don't like it I can try other things. I can get a Triple Dog for $435. Superchips for $300. Hypertech for cheap but I don't much care for their products. Had good luck with EDGE on my 01.

I'm not sure what else works best.