3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Got my TST, questions about other upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my TST, questions about other upgrades

Hey Guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading here and the TDR about bombing my truck. First of all, I don't want to break anything, so I'm going to try to do it in the right order.

Here is what I have now:
2004 305/555 Truck
5" straight pipe
Airraid Intake (AFE TT on the way)
EGT & Boost gauges (Fuel pressure on the way)
Edge EZ
TST PMCR

Here is my plan of upgrading in order:
Upgraded clutch (unsure which one)
F.A.S.S.
Twins (unsure which combo)
DD3 Injectors
Possibly the Snow Performance kit (suggestions on this?)

I would like to work with PDR, but I have a problem in doing so. I'm not so sure that I can install these upgrades (or exactly which equipment) myself. I don't know of any installers anywhere near my area that can do this competantly. Does anybody know of any good installers within about 300 - 400 miles of Northwest Arkansas?

I would appreciate any enlighenment on my proposed upgrade plan! Thanks!!!!

~ David
Old 10-04-2004, 09:07 AM

Surely somebody has some advice!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:44 AM

I believe you should consider the fuel system and clutch asap of you plan on using any level higher than 2-3 on the TST/EZ stack. Sounds like a good plan. Many others are running the same.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:17 AM

TST + EZ + DD3's = too much fuel. The TST+EZ+Twins combo alone is good for well over 500RWHP. How much are you looking for?
Old 10-04-2004, 02:59 PM

How much can I make? I heard the CR is going to be my limitation at this point, right?
Old 10-04-2004, 04:08 PM

How much can I make? I heard the CR is going to be my limitation at this point, right?
Heck, why not throw some propane and a 200HP shot of nitrous in the mix while you're at it?

Okay... time to get serious here. That's a bad answer to the question. Unless you're putting someone's name on the side of the truck and driving it down a dragstrip, you're the one responsible for the repairs when (not if) it blows up. Going into a buildup like this without a good understanding of how things work, and just trying to throw a bunch of parts at the engine to see how much HP it can squeeze out before blowing up is not a very sound approach.

Now - with that said... pick a direction. Either make power with larger injectors and a pressure box, or make power with a pressure/timing/duration combination. As I said before, TST+EZ+DD3's equals blown turbos or blown engine. That's pretty much a guarantee, unless you baby the truck. But, if you're going to baby it, then why did you put all those power upgrades on in the first place? See the dilemma there?

Diesel Dynamics has shown that DD3's + an EZ, with proper intake, exhaust, fuel, and turbo upgrades, is good for a very streetable 500HP (or close to it). Others have shown that a TST + and EZ, with similar intake, exhaust, fuel, and turbo (single) upgrades, staying below 45psi of boost, is also good for 500HP - maybe a little more.

Changing over to a twin-turbo setup, upgrading to ARP studs and a better head gasket, and keeping boost below 60psi can do 550 to 575HP, with equal or slightly lower EGTs.

The common rail limitation is not too far beyond that - probably right at 600HP.

The other point in all this is to pick a HP goal first, and work towards that goal. Doing it the other way around ("let's see how much I can get out of her"), you're going to be spending extra money. For example - first, you buy a clutch... say one rated for 900ft.lbs. Pretty soon, you've put enough "stuff" into the engine that it's now making 1100ft.lbs. Now you need a new clutch (again). Had you known your target was 500HP/1200lb.ft., you would have bought the right clutch to begin with.

Again - not trying to discourage you... not in the least. Just trying to interject a little common sense and planning into a process that can run away from you if you let it. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:31 PM

From reading here, and talking to Harry at PDR, it looks like I'm setting a goal of somewhere between 500 - 600 rwhp. I about to place an order for a clutch. I talked to Andy at South Bend and it looks like I'm going to get one of their dual disc clutches. I'm looking at two and am not sure which of them to go with. They are the Street Comp 3600 lb clutches. I'm not sure if I want the 6cb or the 12cb. I have to make the decision on whether or not I'm going to try to sled pull and then go with the appropriate of the two.

As far as the EZ+TST+DD3 -- I've come to the realization that it's a waste of money because it's asking too much of the fuel system. I'm going to stick with the EZ + TST. Some day down the road, I might trade the EZ off and do the injectors.

Can somebody explain how the Snow Performance system works and whether or not it's a good idea and/or helpful with my plans?

Thanks for the advice!

~ David
Old 10-18-2004, 11:13 PM

I currently have the tst/eze/dd'3s/super b turbo/carter pump.... i just took it out for a burn... its quick... after 6/6 it seems to get choppy, almost losing power... my eze is on 4, anyone else have any info on how and what there settings are...
Old 10-19-2004, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by dsteinke
Hey Tom I have just a question about your setup, that DD airbox that you are using do you like it? the reason that I am asking is because on my truck I really have a problem with airflow, I keep tripping the airflow sensor on my torque tube with a clean airfilter and this is just normal driving, so I am looking for a new airbox setup. Also how high can you run your TST without pegging the egt's or atleast keep them under control? Thanks, Mike
Old 10-19-2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by forthcomingtwin
I currently have the tst/eze/dd'3s/super b turbo/carter pump.... i just took it out for a burn... its quick... after 6/6 it seems to get choppy, almost losing power... my eze is on 4, anyone else have any info on how and what there settings are...
I have the TST with DD3s. and I cant run my TST past 5/5. It starts losing power at that point. I have considered stacking my edge EZ with this combo, (seeing as I have one sitting in my garage), but I don't think I would see much if any gain in horsepower from this. EGT's aren't a concern for me empty unless I am above 5/5. I haven't towed heavy since I put my B-1 on. I think the reason I lose horsepower above 5/5 is too much duration. What are you guys comments on this, would I gain by adding pressure on the lower settings?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:50 PM

Hey Tom I have just a question about your setup, that DD airbox that you are using do you like it? the reason that I am asking is because on my truck I really have a problem with airflow, I keep tripping the airflow sensor on my torque tube with a clean airfilter and this is just normal driving, so I am looking for a new airbox setup. Also how high can you run your TST without pegging the egt's or atleast keep them under control?
I'm not completely familiar with the Torque Tube, but if it's just a replacement for the piping between the stock airbox and turbo, then yes, you'll certainly benefit from a replacement airbox with a conical filter. The real indicator of how well an air filter is working is the EGT's, not necessarily the FilterMinder.

As for the TST, it's not so much EGT control, as it is optimum power output. I did a fair amount of dyno testing with different settings on both the TST and the EZ, and found my best power with the TST on 5/5, EZ on 4. Any higher on the TST dropped the power, and increased smoke output. However, that was when I was running a ProGuard 7 cone filter. I've since switched back to the standard media filter that came with the DD airbox, and while I haven't been back to the dyno yet, I've noticed a significant (upwards of 150°) drop in EGTs, meaning I'm getting more air, meaning that I can probably up the fueling a bit.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:02 AM

I did a significant amount of dynoing today.. i had the eze stacked with the tst... i lost 5 horse with the eze.. the highest i can go is 5/5, with the eze on 4 -- then i really start to lose power on higher settings with the tst
4/4 i ran 440 hp, and 856lbft... this was on BD's dyno in Abbotsford British Columbia..