3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Got my Jr. Little bummed

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would the smarty jr. be a good programmer for your occassional run-in with a ford or chevy on the highway? Or will the hp increase be too small to tell the difference from stock?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM

I have updated my Smarty Jr. before in the past to the REVO settings. I have not updated it to the new Pod settings yet. Is it easier to update to the new Pod if I have done it before and what do I need to do to download it step-by-stepwise?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FSTDL
So can I just update the Smarty to a Revo with POD from their wesite. I have been on their website but the're not clear about much of anything (to me).
I see they call it the 5.09B. Will that load on my unit? Its brand new but I guess it sat on a shelf some where. The first letters of the serial number are SJ6B08.
I am trying to tow up in the mountains this weekend and I know setting #2 will smoke way too much.
Try updating to the most recent software on the website. Then put the settings on SW2, TM2, TQ4, PoD 99 and see how you like that.

Personally i tow on SW1, TM2, TQ4, Pod 99 and run SW1, TM2, TQ4, PoD 50 around town.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 PM

On my 06 for every day I'm running SW3 TM4 TQ2 and it runs and feels great. Now when towing I run SW2 TM4(but can be a tad smokey on heavy peddle) So been using TM3 TQ2 and not bad at all lets say DANG. When you plug in your unit what numbers on on your screen Ver. 5.06 pre REVO, 5.07 Revo no Pod, 5.08 Revo/Pod but TQ2 & 4 reversed from directions ,5.09 Revo/Pod was to correct TQ reversal but I know that it had not as well a few people I know but thats ok. Only made my truck run alot better and smoother and a tad less smoke.
If nothing else give Bob a call and he can help walk you through it.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 AM

Man I really appreciate you guys help. I had a kid at work do the down load for me and now I have (I think) it all. I dont see top speed or high Idle.
Any how I set it as .boB has his at #2 TM2 and TQ2 and ah64id has his at TQ4 for towing. I will be pulling 10,000+ up 6-7% grades this weekend and am excited to see how she does. I was down into 4th last time on the steep stuff.
So what diff may there be between TQ2 and TQ4 setting while towing? I have a stick so do I care about the Torque management?
Thanks again
Old 05-07-2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by quadman20
On my 06 for every day I'm running SW3 TM4 TQ2 and it runs and feels great. Now when towing I run SW2 TM4(but can be a tad smokey on heavy peddle) So been using TM3 TQ2 and not bad at all lets say DANG. When you plug in your unit what numbers on on your screen Ver. 5.06 pre REVO, 5.07 Revo no Pod, 5.08 Revo/Pod but TQ2 & 4 reversed from directions ,5.09 Revo/Pod was to correct TQ reversal but I know that it had not as well a few people I know but thats ok. Only made my truck run alot better and smoother and a tad less smoke.
If nothing else give Bob a call and he can help walk you through it.
Try TM2 over TM3. TM3 is the closest to stock and will run a fair amount hotter than TM2.

Man I really appreciate you guys help. I had a kid at work do the down load for me and now I have (I think) it all. I dont see top speed or high Idle.
Any how I set it as .boB has his at #2 TM2 and TQ2 and ah64id has his at TQ4 for towing. I will be pulling 10,000+ up 6-7% grades this weekend and am excited to see how she does. I was down into 4th last time on the steep stuff.
So what diff may there be between TQ2 and TQ4 setting while towing? I have a stick so do I care about the Torque management?
Thanks again
On a stick your main concern is drivetrain shock at low speed... but even TQ2 isn't harsh. So run what you want and what feels best for you.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:54 PM

Try TM2 over TM3. TM3 is the closest to stock and will run a fair amount hotter than TM2.

This is why people get confused 0 least to most 4 works better. So your saying TM3 is almost stock and TM2 is more the 3 but less then 4.
I have ran 2 and it is really mild on the Smoke thing. I did notice 3 a was a tad warmer but not by much 50-100 degrees.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:59 PM

This is why people get confused 0 least to most 4 works better. So your saying TM3 is almost stock and TM2 is more the 3 but less then 4. I have ran 2 and it is really mild on the Smoke thing. I did notice 3 a was a tad warmer but not by much 50-100 degrees.
Yes TM3 gives about 15-20hp at 2K rpms, TM2 gives about 40hp, and TM4 gives about 55hp.. That is where the biggest gain is from timing.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That sounds perfect .bOB but I guess I got ripped since mine didn't come with that portion of the program installed. Can I down load that from their site into mine?
where did you purchase from? new or used?

The POD should be on every shelf now
Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 PM

ah64id with those numbers which sw setting would you be referring too or is that all or more sw2/3 I know there only approx. Cause every trucks different. .boB don't give up yet Bob the man he'll get you fixed up.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 PM

Bob I bought it brand new. A friend of mine is an off road racer here in AZ and I got it through his connection.
I down loaded all the newest software and set it at #2 TM2 and TQ2 but its still way too smoky.
I am towing 10k up to the mountains tomorrow and need to back off some how on the smoke. Should I adjust the TM one way or another? or drop it down to setting #1.
It mainly smokes REAL bad on take off. It clouds the intersection out. Not sure what to do here.
Thanks for any help on this.

Phil
Old 05-08-2009, 09:45 AM

ah64id with those numbers which sw setting would you be referring too or is that all or more sw2/3 I know there only approx. Cause every trucks different. .boB don't give up yet Bob the man he'll get you fixed up.
That was SW1, so timing only. The timing is the same on 1/2/3 so that power gain will be consistent on all 3 SW's, the extra power on 2/3 comes from fuel.

Bob I bought it brand new. A friend of mine is an off road racer here in AZ and I got it through his connection.
I down loaded all the newest software and set it at #2 TM2 and TQ2 but its still way too smoky.
I am towing 10k up to the mountains tomorrow and need to back off some how on the smoke. Should I adjust the TM one way or another? or drop it down to setting #1.
It mainly smokes REAL bad on take off. It clouds the intersection out. Not sure what to do here.
Thanks for any help on this.

Phil
I would make sure your air filter is clean if your smoking that much on TM2.

You can try TM3 if TM2 is still too much, but that will run a little warmer on EGT's.

Do you have a rokktech timing sensor?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 AM

No timing sensor. Everything except for muffler is stock. Has new fuel and air filters. It really clouds out when taking off.
I will put the TM to 3 if that will help the smoking. Would you think it will still be running cooler than stock on the hills with #2 TM3 & TQ2?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 AM

No timing sensor. Everything except for muffler is stock. Has new fuel and air filters. It really clouds out when taking off.
I will put the TM to 3 if that will help the smoking. Would you think it will still be running cooler than stock on the hills with #2 TM3 & TQ2?
Yes it would still run cooler than stock, but not sure how much with the extra fuel of SW2.

Have you tried SW1 to see if that affects your smoke?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Yes I did before I down loaded the newest program and it was fine. I bought it to tow with and really think I should be able to use it on the tow setting. I am all hooked up and ready to go as soon as I get home from work so I dont really have time to play with it but I will set it on TM3 and leave it on #2 setting.
I really apreciate your help here.

Quick Reply: Got my Jr. Little bummed