3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Got my Jr. Little bummed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my Jr. Little bummed

Just loaded a Smarty Jr on #2 towing and man there is no way I can run this let alone tow with it. It just smokes so bad.
I set it down to #1 and am going to try that but why is this thing smoking so bad? Can I tow on #1?
Just a short drive has soot on my fender. I can't imagine what it will do to my trailer and thats if I don't get pulled over first.
Is POD a down load because mine didn't come with it.
So far not happy except it does haul pretty good.
Thanks for any input

Phil
Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
POD is supposed to be a download on the JR from the MADS website.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM

Get the REVO POD

Then play with Torque Management(TQ) and Timing(TM) settings.

See if you can get rid of the smoke.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same thing. Every shift smokes out the intersection.

Torque Management is how hard it fuels with low boost. That's why it smokes so much. It's putting a lot of fuel to the engine without any air to burn it off.

Fix: Download the latest software, then Timing 3 or 2 depending on ratatatatle. You'll hear it. Sounds like valve train rattle. TorQue management on 1. Mine will smoke if I get into it without any boost. If you roll into the throttle, pedal up with the boost, you will only have a haze on power level 3.

PL 3
Timing 3
TQ 1

Smile

MPG are the same as stock.
PL3 will ruin your clutch. FYI
Old 05-05-2009, 05:16 PM

So how do I get the POD and with that will I be able to adjust timing? Shouldn't my new JR have come with the POD?
Thanks again and I hope I can get this straitened out
Old 05-05-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought the Jr a couple of weeks ago. It came with PoD, no need to upgrade anything.

Adjusting the tuning is a three step process. First, install the Towing program, SW2.

Unplug the box, and plug it back in. Now find the section labeled "Options". From there, change timing to 2 (TM2), and torque management to 2 (TQ2) . Exit the program, and unplug the box.

Now you have SW2, TM2, TQ2, and PoD100. That's what I use for towing, and that seems to work really well. It will smoke a bit if I really get on it, but nothing more than you would expect. No big dark cloud. Plenty of power.

If you want to adjust PoD, plug it back in, and follow the screen to PoD.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:43 PM

That sounds perfect .bOB but I guess I got ripped since mine didn't come with that portion of the program installed. Can I down load that from their site into mine?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:13 PM

It's a free download on MADS website. I ran mine on SW2 TQ2 TM4, but I didn't have POD, just Revo.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 PM

So can I just update the Smarty to a Revo with POD from their wesite. I have been on their website but the're not clear about much of anything (to me).
I see they call it the 5.09B. Will that load on my unit? Its brand new but I guess it sat on a shelf some where. The first letters of the serial number are SJ6B08.
I am trying to tow up in the mountains this weekend and I know setting #2 will smoke way too much.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:30 PM

I was thinking of getting a Smarty JR for my 04.5 and I am one of those who does NOT want smoke. I thought that Smarty JR was good in that regard-little to no smoke?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by mjf6175
I was thinking of getting a Smarty JR for my 04.5 and I am one of those who does NOT want smoke. I thought that Smarty JR was good in that regard-little to no smoke?
I have very little smoke with mine. If I mash it real hard it will smoke until the turbo spools but nothing more than you would expect.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 PM

i have a little smoke with mine i have the normal smarty though. more timing means less smoke to much timing and it will pop run mine at sw5 and tm1 or 2 and timing 2 and rail pressure default and wastegate off
Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 PM

hey there bOB, are you running that setting all the time?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 PM

Go to the MADS website and go to the downloads section. From there select the Jr. Then download and read the download / update instructions. It's a little involved but it is really easy. Just follow the steps.
The new software still makes a ton of smoke. But the whole point of the REVO software is to allow maximum power with the flexibility of adjusting how soon the fuel hits and timing adjustments. Previous software tried to combine the different settings into individual software. For example one was low smoke and another would be timing and another would be wild. Now with REVO you can adjust the three parameters to suit your driving style. You can also download the REVO instructions. They detail options to reduce smoke.
I believe all JRs are upgradeable.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rudy
hey there bOB, are you running that setting all the time?
No, that's what I use when towing.

The rest of the time I run SW1 TM2 TQ2 PoD60. That provides good performance regardless of terrain and altitude, and averages 18.5 mpg.

Quick Reply: Got my Jr. Little bummed