3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

got my gauges woohoo now help please on instal

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got my gauges woohoo now help please on instal

Well I got the trans, egt and boost.

So I was going to mount the trans in the "test port" i think it is called. I know that it will read lower here, but I am afraid to start taking lines off to get it in the "hot line". Is there an easy way to get the sender in the hot line before I do the lesser place.

I saw some threads on the boost bolts busting. I thought that was an easy way to get that working was with the bolt replacement, any comments should I or drill the horn?

Finally this one worries me alot, the pyro, I am thinking of going post turbo because I do not want my manifold to crack, the sensor to end up in my turbo, or get metal shavings in my turbo. Thought am I worrying to much anyone?

Also anyone had there center dash radio bezel off on the 06 or similliar. Any sugestions here?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The boost bolt is the simplest wat to go. It replaces an existing bolt in the manifold, so it is easily installed. I haven't heard of anyone breaking one. I have heard of guys breaking the parts used when drilling and tapping the airhorn.

You can get a boost bolt from www.cumminsdatabase.com for $6 free freight. Just click on marketplace and then click on Chad Embrey.

As far as the pyrometer goes, I don't think you will hurt anything by tapping the manifold. I have done 2 pyro's this way. I drilled the hole cleaning away shavings as I went and then once I broke through, I used a magnetic tipped rod to clean out the manifold. When you restart the truck, the turbo won't be at any serious RPM, so the shavings should just slide right by. Obviously there is some risk, but it is minimal.

If you mount it after the turbo, there is no set difference between preturbo and postturbo readings. At low egt's it could be over 300 degrees difference, at higher egt's the difference is less so it is tough for you to get an accurate assessment of preturbo egt's.

I can't help you on the bezel. My guages are in a steering column mount. I can't help you with the trans temp guage either. never mounted one.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went the boost bolt way also. For a $6.00 part it is the easiest way to go bar none.

I also installed a Pml trans pan which was already drilled and tapped for the transmission sending unit. Simple bolt on installation which protects my trans at the same time.

The pyro was by far the most over hyped installation of the day. Easy as pie to cut through the exhaust manifold (pre-turbo) without shavings inside. Tapping was a little trickier, though still not rocket science. Cleaned out with a shop vac and installed the sensor.

Wiring took the most time since I wrapped all wires in wire looms and zip tied them in place for added protection.

Tip of the day:
Run all of your wiring into the cab before hooking up the guages instead of pulling the wiring the other direction. My dash mount guages required they hooked up first.

Good luck

Rick