3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Got my AFE super stock dry filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:01 AM
HOV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my AFE super stock dry filter

It's Huuuuge, capital 'H'. Oil-free, same shape as the new K&N 3-D stock replacement filter.

This, along with a gutted stock intake, cool tube, or homemade torque tube, will surely flow just the same as any full intake system, while retaining the stock airbox. Total cost for the drop-in including shipping was $74.

I have pics of the AFE compared to a stock filter, and I'll post 'em up when I get home today.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats a pretty cool filter
Old 06-29-2007, 08:46 AM

Ive been running that setup minus the torque tube for about 4 weeks now and i can say that it moves some air. I have not found any literature about the micron filtration specs.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Banned

If I went with this filter and no airbox mod or torque tube(stealth mode), do you think it would it be enough along with my mbrp 4" exhaust and a mild programmer like the quuad xzt? Will I be able to hear the turbo whistle?
As far as the dealer's concerned , for warranty issues, I want to keep a very low profile(for now)
Old 06-29-2007, 09:04 AM
HOV

I think turbo whistle is all about geting rid of the air guides in the intake tube. A filter by itself won't make any difference. If you gut the intake, there will be turbo music galore methinks.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by walker
If I went with this filter and no airbox mod or torque tube(stealth mode), do you think it would it be enough along with my mbrp 4" exhaust and a mild programmer like the quuad xzt? Will I be able to hear the turbo whistle?
As far as the dealer's concerned , for warranty issues, I want to keep a very low profile(for now)
I change my intake out for warranty work...it only takes a few mins...
but I really doubt a dealer would void a warranty for an intake but stranger things have happened
Old 06-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOV
I think turbo whistle is all about geting rid of the air guides in the intake tube. A filter by itself won't make any difference. If you gut the intake, there will be turbo music galore methinks.
An open-style filter by itself will make a huge difference in turbo whistle...probably more so than gutting the intake tubes. I still have my silencer ring in and it's loud as can be coming out of the open filter.

Originally Posted by HOV
This, along with a gutted stock intake, cool tube, or homemade torque tube, will surely flow just the same as any full intake system, while retaining the stock airbox.
What are you basing this statement on?

I strongly disagree that it will flow as much as an open-style intake for two reasons...

1. The stock box itself is, by design, a huge restriction.
2. That drop-in filter has much less surface area than a Stage II AFE (or similar filter). Less surface area = less air flow.

It's definitely the sweetest drop-in replacement filter I've seen, but drop-ins are always going to have certain limitations which prevent them from flowing as much air.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:42 AM

Hov ??

From which vendor did you purchase? Been looking at this filter, but haven't been able to find one that is selling yet.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:57 AM
HOV

Originally Posted by jrussell
An open-style filter by itself will make a huge difference in turbo whistle...probably more so than gutting the intake tubes. I still have my silencer ring in and it's loud as can be coming out of the open filter.
Okay, you have more experience with that so I'm not going to dispute that.

What are you basing this statement on?

I strongly disagree that it will flow as much as an open-style intake for two reasons...

1. The stock box itself is, by design, a huge restriction.
2. That drop-in filter has much less surface area than a Stage II AFE (or similar filter). Less surface area = less air flow.

It's definitely the sweetest drop-in replacement filter I've seen, but drop-ins are always going to have certain limitations which prevent them from flowing as much air.
In regards to the box: I'm basing that statement on a comparison of an AFE full intake system, which, although it seems more open, it is completely enclosed and only takes air from the same place the stock box draws air: the stock intake hole in the fender.

I understand what you're saying about filter surface area, but I think one of two things is true here:

1. The drop-in does have as much filter area as the full system, or
2. The drop-in may have slightly less than the full system, and not enough to make a tangible difference except maybe at extremely high power levels.

This drop-in is bigger than it looks in the picture...

The only remaining obstruction in the stock intake system that sets it apart from an aftermarket full intake are the baffles in the intake tube.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:58 AM
HOV

Originally Posted by JIMCTD
From which vendor did you purchase? Been looking at this filter, but haven't been able to find one that is selling yet.
I got it from the manufacturer's website. They sent the order down to a vendor, who shipped it to me.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:01 AM
HOV

One last thing: how do you know that the whistle is due to your filter and not the intake tube? Your whole system is open from filter to turbo.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:02 AM

Thanxmuch!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOV
One last thing: how do you know that the whistle is due to your filter and not the intake tube? Your whole system is open from filter to turbo.
This is true. I am basing that mostly on experience with changing filters on my old '93. No baffles in the intake and no silencer ring stock, but it got MUCH louder when I installed an open BHAF filter.

Originally Posted by HOV
Okay, you have more experience with that so I'm not going to dispute that.

In regards to the box: I'm basing that statement on a comparison of an AFE full intake system, which, although it seems more open, it is completely enclosed and only takes air from the same place the stock box draws air: the stock intake hole in the fender.

I understand what you're saying about filter surface area, but I think one of two things is true here:

1. The drop-in does have as much filter area as the full system, or
2. The drop-in may have slightly less than the full system, and not enough to make a tangible difference except maybe at extremely high power levels.

This drop-in is bigger than it looks in the picture...

The only remaining obstruction in the stock intake system that sets it apart from an aftermarket full intake are the baffles in the intake tube.
The AFE isn't completely enclosed like you say. It draws air from the side, bottom, and front areas. The stock box has to draw all it's air through the tiny little opening in the fender. That is one of the main differences between the two.

The other main difference is size. Trust me when I say the filter with a 6" opening on the Stage II is MUCH larger than a drop-in could ever be. It barely fits in the larger AFE box and will only fit when crammed in at just the right angle. Not trying to sound negative towards this new filter, because I think it's the best option for anyone keeping the stock box. I just wanted to point out why I thought it woudn't flow as much.