3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Got a broken Jacobs Brake vacuum pump? Looks like there may be a $120 fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a broken Jacobs Brake vacuum pump? Looks like there may be a $120 fix

My jacobs brake vacuum pump died a few months ago...like some of you, I just removed the belt. I've done some digging, and it looks quite similar to the pump on a 1999 K2500 Suburban

I pulled my pump off last night and removed the 4 bolts holding the diaphram assembly to the hub/cam assembly. The pulley, hub, and cam all looked fine and ran freely. If you look at the above pictures, the hub is probably different between the two pumps, but the diaphram looks identical (same 4 bolt positions, etc). I ordered the suburban pump from my local advance auto and will have it today. I'll shoot some pics of the two while I try to transplant the diaphram assembly to the Jake housing. If all goes well...should be a relatively inexpensive fix
Old 07-12-2007, 08:05 AM

My pump went out of my 06 so I called Cummins and they sent me the exact one for $90.00 plus shipping cost. If you ever do this tell them you have a truck down that way you will get it faster even if it's back ordered I got mine within two days.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Chapter President

Well what happened to the 120$ fix?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tree DR
Well what happened to the 120$ fix?
The diaphram assembly bolted directly to the hub assembly...figured might try an "OEM" part instead of this since the jake vacuum pumps seem to have a life-expectency issue

One thing to note, when you undo the 4 bolts holding the diaphram on, need to keep the diaphram end facing up so you don't spill out the oil thats in the hub. Also, the vacuum nipple on the pump is rotated to a different position, I didn't want to try to force it around, but since its just a rubber vacuum line connecting to it, this should be a non-issue. I'm getting ready to reinstall the pump now

There is a length difference in the two hubs, so you have to swap diaphrams, but thats the part that goes bad, the hub is just a shaft with a cam at the end to push on the diaphram pushrod
Old 07-13-2007, 08:08 AM

It works again!!