3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Goodyear Dura Trac - Feedback Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:03 AM
GSW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Ex
I’m looking at 265/17r17 ‘E’. These tires are getting really good reviews across the internet. Does anybody here have any experience with them? I want a good winter snow tire that has decent highway characteristics too. These have an aggressive tread but I’m reading they’re not too bad with road noise. Most of my winter driving is highway driving through the Sierra’s. Any suggestions? Bridgestone Revo-2 (in 285/17r17 E), or Goodyear Silent Armor are others I’m considering? I’d probably go with BFG KO’s in 285’s if not for death wobble association.
Has anyone heard of “death wobble” with the GY Dura Trac?
BFG now offers the AT/KO in 285/70-17 with an "E" rating. I had the D rated ones before and they lasted all of 20k miles, although I never had any death wobble issues at stock height. Death wobble does seem to be more prevalent with lifted trucks and D rated tires.

I'm nearing 30k and then end of my DuraGrapplers now and I won't be getting them again, mostly due to the poor winter traction. Regarding the tread wear, I drive on curvy, coarse roads that seem to eat tires quicker than most.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 AM

So far, these are probably the best tire I have run. 265's and I run a dually. I tow every time I drive this truck, and they have ran perfect. Well over 5k in pin weight and no probs. Drove up the Dalton highway hunting this year and not one flat tire. I have 6k miles on them, so I may be commenting early, but they have run perfect. Wear isnt an issue yet. My BFG all terrains were the worst tires. They wore out very quickly. Just my experience.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Dura Tracs

I run the 265's E load rating and they work great. I have 10K miles on them and they still look good. They are great in the snow, mud and sand.....They also behave well on the pavement (wet and dry). I had a set of the original BFG Mud Terrains and they were awful on wet pavement and ice. So far I really like these tires. Still on the fence as to how many miles I can get out of them. I also tow a 10K pound 5th wheel most of the spring, summer, and fall with no issues.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 AM

Appreciating the feedback. These tires are currently on national backorder but I’m planning to buy them if they come in mid November – or before the winter forces new tires. Despite the smattering of reports about thread / sidewall squirm, these tires seem like the best option if you need an aggressively designed severe snow service tire. Really, it’s these design features (deep wide spaced sipped tread block w/soft cold tolerant rubber compound) that make them a great snow/ice tire, that also make them more prone to some squirm and a less long lasting tread that some complain about. You can’t have it all in one tire – can you?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:39 PM

If they made them in the E rating for a 315 I would have kept them. They were nice but I did not like the feel. I think the smaller tires would have been good but I wanted the larger size.