3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Goodyear Dura Trac - Feedback Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear Dura Trac - Feedback Needed

I’m looking at 265/17r17 ‘E’. These tires are getting really good reviews across the internet. Does anybody here have any experience with them? I want a good winter snow tire that has decent highway characteristics too. These have an aggressive tread but I’m reading they’re not too bad with road noise. Most of my winter driving is highway driving through the Sierra’s. Any suggestions? Bridgestone Revo-2 (in 285/17r17 E), or Goodyear Silent Armor are others I’m considering? I’d probably go with BFG KO’s in 285’s if not for death wobble association.

Has anyone heard of “death wobble” with the GY Dura Trac?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran these tires in a 315/70/17 and they were by far the worst tire I've ever had. These tires were D load rated.

The first 5000 miles or so they wanted to "skate" and the sidewalls flexed and would throw you across lanes. There were about 2000 good miles after that and then they began to cup and wear unevenly. I was **** about rotating them and maintaining pressures in them. They were rotated every 5K until about 40K when I gave up on them. I just replaced them at 47K and they were slicks and probably should have been changed 6-7K earlier. I don't really tow anything heavy and the majority of my driving is on the interstate.

These tires were so loud it sounded like I was running boggers even when they were slick. My local tire guy even rode around in the truck and said he couldn't believe the noise. I could barely carry on a conversation because of the noise these tires created.

The only positive thing I have to say about them is that they looked awesome when new and they did have really good traction. I live in Atlanta and my 2wd truck was driving around everyone during the bad ice storms that shut down the city last winter.

I've also read favorable reviews on these tires but I certainly didn't have good luck with them. I'm sure the tire size will play a part in it as well as driving conditions. These tires seem better suited to a lighter vehicle or a Jeep to me. Everyone has an opinion, that's just mine
Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love them I have Revo 2's .I ran them last winter which we had lots of snow and they were great.I like them.Excellent in the rain too.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:05 PM

Leonesm & Bob… just want to thank you guys for the candid feedback – it’s appreciated. Hoping I’ll hear some more from others out there.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 PM

I have run them on my Jeep, 33", and have been very satified with them. Not loud on the hwy, excellent traction on ice & snow. They seemed to wear fast at first but the wear has slowed down.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:44 PM

They suck...... I had them on my truck and they were very soft. I had the 315/70/17. when I towed with them it would throw the back end all over...I traided them in after 500 miles for the toyo open country. It is a much better tire and a heavyer pay load.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:37 PM

I use them on my truck, 315/70/17. They are awesome in the snow. I tow with mine all the time and I have no problem at all. Even hauling 12000lb up I70 in the mountains of colordao to moab doing 85mph, I dont get why people say they throw them all over the road?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got 15K miles on my 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs and so far so good.

They are wearing very well.....still look almost new.

I admit they were a little soft when I first put them on the truck but they wore in nice. I tow my toyhauler fairly often....(1800 lbs tongue weight)... plus an ATV quad (600 lbs) in the bed of the truck. No issues.

Now would I love for them to be "E" rated and higher load capacity? Of course. But that just seems to be darn near impossible to find in a 35'' 17'' rim tire. Toyos maybe, but they don't seem to wear well and they are very expensive. The GY duratracs are a decent compromise in wear, looks, cost, and performance...........for me so far.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 AM

I have about 30,000 miles on mine. It is all highway mileage and they are about 1/2 gone.

It took a little to get the pressures to where they would wear flat but once your there, it's good.

When first put on, they were really squirmy as they are a softer compound tire but you do get used to it and eventually I forgot about it.

I ran them last winter, put on in October, and they are a great snow tire. In wet dirt/mud they are not the greatest even though they look like an awesome mud tire. They will get you through but you really have to keep them spinning. At 1/2 tread, it will be interesting to see how they manage a second winter.

Highway road noise, yes they howl and it gets louder as they wear. I've noticed most of the posts on this are 3rd Gen owners so the howl would be more noticeable than in my 2nd Gen.

Would I buy them again, yes but they wouldn't be my first choice. I ran a set of Nokian Vativa's previous to these and got over 102,000 miles on them. Yes they were bald when I changed them out but they wore like iron and were used strictly highway/towing. They were an awesome summer tire, incredible snow tire, quiet on the highway and not so good in the mud but they fit my needs at the time.

When the Duratracs finally die, they will probably be replaced with another set of Vativa's for winter use only. Because of my good luck with the Nokian's, I may step up to a set of Vativa M/T's for everything else. Similar to the DuraTracs but a little more cash outlay for them.

With regards to others using them, I know of a handful of people running them (mostly farmers) and they have mixed results. Easily half of them won't put them back on when replacement time comes mainly because they are not so great in wet mud conditions.

Jeff
Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 PM

Replaced them with duragrapplers now I don't have to listen to annoying tire roar
Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 AM

Still hoping for some more feedback here. I continue to research but was hoping for more from Dodge diesel owners here. I've spoken with three different Big-O stores, all in mountain service areas, and they say customers (including 3/4 ton diesels owners) love them, and they don't get complaints or requests for a tire swap.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:31 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Take a good look at the Hankooks in the RF10.

I live in the Sierras running these tires (285's) and they have been excellent in all respects, and especially in the snow.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
Take a good look at the Hankooks in the RF10.

I live in the Sierras running these tires (285's) and they have been excellent in all respects, and especially in the snow.
So the RF10s handle Sierra cement (wet heavy snow) well? Do you notice any problems with the weight of our diesel? I've read some people comment about soft sidewalls and squirminess when cornering - read this about the Duratrac too? I commute from the Bay Area to Plumas every week, so most of the route is highway… but you know how the Sierra’s are in winter. You can have everything from easy dry powder, to ice, but mostly its lot’s of wet slushy snow. Kind of hard to find one tire that performs well in all scenarios, and I realize you can't have it all in one tire. Dodge diesel trucks have their own unique handling characteristics from the Ford or Chevy. And the same tire will perform differently on each of these trucks. In considering a tire like the Duratrac, I know I'd be sacrificing good road handling - but I also don't want the tire to be unsafe on the highway like some are claiming. Sounds like the Hankook RF10 may be a good tire for my needs?
Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The 285's I have are "E" rated and the load rating is something like 3750-3850 lbs. There is no squirming at all, very beefy sidewalls. You have to see the tread in person to appreciate it as online pictures don't do it justice. It looks a lot like the Revo 2's, but the tread is actually more open, the blocks have a tad more spacing. There is a good amount of siping to the blocks as well. In spite of this, they are quiet.
These tires track really well too. Color me impressed by them. I used to use Truxxs MT's in the winter for the conditions (very soft tread, great on ice) and switch to stock tires in the summer for towing and mileage. I now run the Hankooks year round as they do it all... and a 50k mileage and a good price to boot. Just check them out in person for an alternative; I think you'll like what you see as a package.

My family is from Quincy and I've spent many a mile on a snowy Feather River Canyon... I know what you see.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:42 AM

I've seen quite a few people run the duratracs and got rid of them quickly. Seemed to handle ok on our icy roads but just didn't seem to do well towing and were wearing bad. I've ran the AT Revo 2 and loved them. Fine in the summer and did great on the ice in winter. I took them off at 62k miles. Ive been running a set of free Michelins till winter. I'll put a set of revision back on before the roads get bad again.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Dura Trac - Feedback Needed