3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Good nitrous kit??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good? bad? thoughts?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:08 PM

how big of a shot is a .62 jet?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:36 PM

around 70hp
Old 06-21-2008, 12:40 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by RunninLean
No disrespect but I have to disagree with you after tonight. I run 13.5's consistantly and I do not smoke going down the track so I would say I am pretty efficient I added a nitrous kit and ran a .62 nozzle and turned a 12.911 tonight with lower EGT's than before and never saw boost above 46 psi. I think I could squeez a 12.7 out of it since hooking up was a issue but only made 1 pass on the .62 nozzle.

Now drive pressure may be a concern but I am fixing to install a 62/12 to help with that.
Nitrous only burns what is left over. Its not a fuel but an oxidizer. Billm had alot more done to his truck (90 hp sticks, silver bullet) and did not gain any even with a pretty big shot. Thats where the every truck is different saying comes from. One will have great success with something that bombed for another. I am glad you saw a huge drop in your ET. I want to slap a bottle on this rig once and see what it does. I think I want to rig it up so it stops spraying at 25-30PSI and then kick in the water above that.

PS where did you mount your nozzle?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pill size doesn't translate well from gassers, but I'd guess ~75HP based on what BOMBers report.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by matego
Nitrous only burns what is left over. Its not a fuel but an oxidizer. Billm had alot more done to his truck (90 hp sticks, silver bullet) and did not gain any even with a pretty big shot. Thats where the every truck is different saying comes from. One will have great success with something that bombed for another. I am glad you saw a huge drop in your ET. I want to slap a bottle on this rig once and see what it does. I think I want to rig it up so it stops spraying at 25-30PSI and then kick in the water above that.

PS where did you mount your nozzle?
Matt you should check into the NX4000 kit it will do what you want...you can start it, stop it, ramp it up whatever, whenever you want...
Old 06-21-2008, 01:46 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by 53 ******
Matt you should check into the NX4000 kit it will do what you want...you can start it, stop it, ramp it up whatever, whenever you want...
I need to look into some lottery tickets. The other day the old lady broke on here and copied my signature (hence the more stuff addition now ) and figured out how much I spent on the truck. She actually got the page laminated and put it on the fridge. Lets just say I have to build an addition to the dog house so I can stretch out for a while.

I am at work now making OT to put in a koi pond. It could be a NX kit if I was a little more prepared for this event.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:05 PM

The nozzle is mounted on the back of the intake horn along with the HOBS switch.

I am actually working on an Idea for a CO2 intercooler spray kit. Just not finding the sensors I want so still working on the control sytem side of things.

Would like to find a air temp gauge in upwards of 400 degrees for testing.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by matego
I need to look into some lottery tickets. The other day the old lady broke on here and copied my signature (hence the more stuff addition now ) and figured out how much I spent on the truck. She actually got the page laminated and put it on the fridge. Lets just say I have to build an addition to the dog house so I can stretch out for a while.

I am at work now making OT to put in a koi pond. It could be a NX kit if I was a little more prepared for this event.
haha your wife is tricky!!!

thats pretty dang funny...thats all right tho you gotta let the wife spend some cash on toys too....even if their toys are plants, clothes, house decorations...koi ponds..etc....
yeah my wife wanted a $400 dollar mailbox...first thing I think of is what I could put on the truck for $400 instead..lol
with out wifes to keep us in check we would be homeless living in our highly modified trucks!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Well I know on a gasser nitrous will help no matter what just about.. So if say one had enough turbo to clear up all the fuel.. He would or wouldn't gain from nitrous?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:41 PM

Nitrous will still produce a hp gain....Just a smaller one.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:23 PM

Guys... NITROUS WILL NOT PRODUCE A GAIN IF THERE ISN'T EXCESSIVE FUEL!!

Most of the time there is always a little excessive fuel.. so yes.. you will see a small gain from the use of nitrous.

Nitrous Oxide is nothing more than TURBO IN A BOTTLE!! All it does is add oxygen to the combustion process.

As such.. YOU WILL NOT SEE A GAIN IF THERE IS NO EXTRA FUEL!!
Old 06-22-2008, 02:09 PM

Gotcha.. So pretty much if I had big sticks or was stacking boxs on a smaller charger like a singe 62 then nitrous would help? My question now is, say if I had a smaller single charger like a 62 and stacked two big boxs or say some injectors and didn't have enough turbo to clear the fuel up.. Would this be a sucky daily driver?
Old 06-22-2008, 03:30 PM

Not Necessarily...

You could always turn one or both of the stacked boxes or tuners down to reduce smoke for daily driving..

Issues with stacking and nitrous are that you have to watch out for too much timing.. that goes for any SINGLE box or tuner as well though..

Basically Nitrous would work best on an application with ALOT of extra fuel and an aftermarket charger that is small enough for street drivablilty.

Basically you use nitrous when you have a turbo that was chosen for streetability but still wanna go fast when you turn the fueling mods up.

Either that or if you have a HUGE (as in like a 71-76 Compressor) single already and still too much fuel and don't want to go to twins.

The latter is my next step... HUGE Single and a Boatload of Fuel!

Edited for Spelling
Old 06-22-2008, 10:45 PM

So once I put in some 1.8 flux injectors with my setup in my sig, a nitrous bottle would help clear me up? Ive got a ton of smoke before spool up.

Quick Reply: Good nitrous kit??