3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Good nitrous kit??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$1000 for that NX kit !!!! I think Id take that $500 zex kit and it does the same thing! Maybe if you was wanting to go crazy with the nitrous then go for that nx kit.. But if you wantin a little extra power and nothing insane I think that zex kit is plenty
Old 06-20-2008, 12:29 AM

I run the NX 2 stage and am pretty happy with it.
Its not perfect, but it is probably the best system out there.

I would not consider running a serious shot of nitrous with anything other than a progressive setup....Unless you like exploded turbos and huge (read expensive) nitrous backfires.

The other issue that shows up at the race track (when working up a nitrous setup) is all over the map consistency...Bottle pressure must be kept at 1000psi (or wherever you set it) or consecutive passes will be progressively slower. Thinking your setup slow you add a bit of nitrous and then install a new bottle.......The next pass can be ummmm....Eventful!

The NX kit deals with a bottle heater and associated control system....If you think the $1000.00 NX system is expensive you should see how much $$$$ a $500.00 el cheapo nitrous setup can create....Rest assured its an extra $500.00 well spent!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snapoff
I run the NX 2 stage and am pretty happy with it.
Its not perfect, but it is probably the best system out there.

I would not consider running a serious shot of nitrous with anything other than a progressive setup....Unless you like exploded turbos and huge (read expensive) nitrous backfires.

The other issue that shows up at the race track (when working up a nitrous setup) is all over the map consistency...Bottle pressure must be kept at 1000psi (or wherever you set it) or consecutive passes will be progressively slower. Thinking your setup slow you add a bit of nitrous and then install a new bottle.......The next pass can be ummmm....Eventful!

The NX kit deals with a bottle heater and associated control system....If you think the $1000.00 NX system is expensive you should see how much $$$$ a $500.00 el cheapo nitrous setup can create....Rest assured its an extra $500.00 well spent!
....yeah the NX kit is hard to beat....progressive kits are the only way to go imho
the NX4000 kit is VERY cool!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A relatively inexpensive, simple nitrous system will work well if you keep the shot of NO2 small - definitely less than 100HP equivalent.

Bottle, SS braided HP hose, solenoid, jet w/~ #50-75 pill, safety arming switch, WOT switch & Hobbs switch.

As far as the turbine inlet pressure issue, I've seen more aftermarket turbos 'splode on spray than Holsets, which can withstand plenty of abuse. Besides, if you're fooling with nitrous, water/meth, aftermarket fueling & higher boost... it's only prudent to use a TIP Kit and monitor your drive pressure.

Prevention is much more effective than the cure!

The expensive nitrous kits are worth it for their real-time adjustability and fine-resolution ramping - it's like using a torque wrench instead of a breaker bar.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R

The expensive nitrous kits are worth it for their real-time adjustability and fine-resolution ramping - it's like using a torque wrench instead of a breaker bar.
haha thats awesome

and true
Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 AM

A extra 75-100hp would be plenty for me!! Roughly how much tq would a 75shot make? Any idea?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by tristan21
I would think really high drive preassure.
Once again my friend you hit the nail on the head. Boost levels with the stock turbo in excess of 42 PSI create really high drive pressures. I kept a log and if I was smart enough I would graph it. The difference from 42 to 46 PSI boost about doubled the drive pressure I know I have seen 50's with the stock turbo and I dont know how I didnt blow a gasket.

N2O is all that is good but like anything else you need supporting mods. Ever seen the TQ curve of N2O in a diesel? It will break stuff if abused. The amount of power you extract from it all depends on what you arent burning. If you already have a efficient set-up and burn all your fuel then N2O would be of little benefit. It is very good at getting your turbo lit under the curve for a down low punch though.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by XLR8R
it's like using a torque wrench instead of a breaker bar.
As I have been getting older I have noticed my elbow acts like a audible torque wrench. When my elbow starts to grind and pop, its tight.

Besides, doesnt everything get torqued to German-spec? Gutentite!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:19 PM

my tourqe setting is 1/4 turn before it breaks....

joking!
Old 06-20-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
my tourqe setting is 1/4 turn before it breaks....

joking!
So...tighten it until it breaks and then back it off a 1/4 of a turn?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:30 PM

Yeah - isn't that what TTY* means?

*Torque To Yield
Old 06-21-2008, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by matego
Once again my friend you hit the nail on the head. Boost levels with the stock turbo in excess of 42 PSI create really high drive pressures. I kept a log and if I was smart enough I would graph it. The difference from 42 to 46 PSI boost about doubled the drive pressure I know I have seen 50's with the stock turbo and I dont know how I didnt blow a gasket.

N2O is all that is good but like anything else you need supporting mods. Ever seen the TQ curve of N2O in a diesel? It will break stuff if abused. The amount of power you extract from it all depends on what you arent burning. If you already have a efficient set-up and burn all your fuel then N2O would be of little benefit. It is very good at getting your turbo lit under the curve for a down low punch though.
No disrespect but I have to disagree with you after tonight. I run 13.5's consistantly and I do not smoke going down the track so I would say I am pretty efficient I added a nitrous kit and ran a .62 nozzle and turned a 12.911 tonight with lower EGT's than before and never saw boost above 46 psi. I think I could squeez a 12.7 out of it since hooking up was a issue but only made 1 pass on the .62 nozzle.

Now drive pressure may be a concern but I am fixing to install a 62/12 to help with that.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:23 AM

What was your max boost w/o NO2?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:03 AM

44psi w/o NO2.

I set the Hobs to 20 psi and have a WOT swith aswell was leaving at 15psi.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:10 AM

Thanks - that's what I expected.

Quick Reply: Good nitrous kit??