3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Going to CR...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:59 PM
BBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to CR...need advice

Well right now I have a 01 and have finally decided to get rid of the VP-44 so I think CR is the best bet. I dont know alot about common rails but I do know alittle. Im going to probably get atleast a 04.5. I will be gettin a 4 door 4x4 auto. The first thing im planning on doing is gettin a built auto, I just dont know which one I need to get this is one thing I dont know much about I am a 6spd guy. Also I want to do things different than before I want to stat with supporting mods instead of trying to go fast and realize i gotta do this or that to keep it together. So how far will just studs make it on a common rail? In the end I wanna get to about 700-750hp. So ALL the advice yall can give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Kevin

Sorry for the longer post.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:40 PM

As far as internal mods, studs and springs will go a long way on a CR before you have to do anything else. You should be able to hold 700hp just fine with just those. As far as transmissions go, give Goerend a call and talk to Dave. Tell him what you want and he'll build it for what you need. He builds awesome transmissions and has awesome customer service to match. Then you can move on to the rest which you probably know cause you're already in the cummins world. Programmer(Smartys the way to go on the CRs), turbo/s,fuel system, etc... And the list just grows and grows, right along with your diesel power addiction, and the wallet gets emptier and emptier
Old 09-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I think mcolectd nailed it on the head. Key Words to his statement: The wallet gets emptier and emptier as you go.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:25 PM

Thats for sure. Your least favorite mod will be your wallet getting emptier
Old 09-18-2008, 07:26 PM
BBA

Yea i for sure know about the whole wallet gettin emptier! Specially after dying vp-44's.

So Do yall think goerend tranny is the way to go? Also Need some advice on whats the best setup like cp3,turbo,injectors to get me to 700-750hp?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 PM
BBA

Also can someone explain to me how a lock-up switch works?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 PM

Goerend is definatly the way to go imo. The one in my 05 was awesome. I haven't made it to 700 on either of my trucks yet, but I would say go with twin turbos. MPI has some really nice setups, along with II, and BD. Also, either twin CP3s or a modified one, along with a good lift pump, FASS, Airdog, Raptor etc, and at least 120 hp sticks, along with a Smarty, and maybe a tst or MP8. I'm sure someone else will chime in to help get you there also, but I think you should be pretty close with all that stuff. As far as the lock up switch, I haven't ever had one, but from what I've heard, its just to keep your TC locked for towing or racing. I'm sure someone else will explain that better also.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcolectd
... As far as the lock up switch, from what I've heard, its just to keep your TC locked for towing or racing. I'm sure someone else will explain that better also.
That's what it does. Keeps tranny temps down by locking the converter to avoid constant slippage/friction of clutch surfaces. Also works well as a tranny brake when coming down long steep hills if heavy.
Not recommended without a built tranny, IMO.

RJ
Old 09-19-2008, 10:43 AM

also when buying a used CR truck check the engine hours...then divide by the total miles, it should be in the 30-40mi/per engine hr. range, anything under 25 is considered by dodge to be severe duty and usually means alot of idle time.
Also i would stick to the 04.5's for four reasons; no TIPM so they have real fuses, nicer interiors IMO, no plastic IC, and adding a FASS or AIRDOG lift pump is much easier because you don't have to drop the tank.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:01 AM
BBA

Well Im going to look at a few trucks today. SO how do I check engine hours on them? Also I hope I dont like this one truck when I get there as much as I do on the internet because It looks amazing and has a pretty good price but its a 6spd. There are a few more there so maybe it will keep my mind off the 6spd.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:54 AM

check engine hrs - turn the key on, scroll the trip display to show the total mi on the truck, then press and hold the trip scroll/reset button for 3-5 seconds, the engine hrs will then show up in the trip display. hope this helps!!!

There are a ton of 4x4 QC autos out there right now so don't "settle". I also think that there are alot of people in finacial trouble that NEED to get rid of their fuel guzzler, its a buyers marker right now so you should have allot of leverage as far as prices go....you should be very excited!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 03:32 PM
BBA

Here is the 6spd to bad its not a auto because it looks really good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150294820100
Old 09-19-2008, 03:45 PM

man that is a sharp truck.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I'd stay away from any truck that hasn't been kept stock. You might end up with a truck thats been abused with programers or perf. box by somebody like me.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Don't just limit yourself to 04.5, the 05 is just fine also. The plastic intercooler can easily be replaced and if your going with 700hp, would you have to change out the stock intercooler anyway? BTW - my plastic intercooler is history for a OEM 06 intercooler for $122.50 shipped. I agree that the 03 to 05 CR have more comfortable seats. Although I am not opting to push 700 hp, but yes tranny, gauges, smarty (don't ask me about stacking because I don't know), dual CPs, intake (CAI and intake tube with the additional ports for NOS, etc.) are the necessities. Twin turbos will help. You'll likely pay in the area of $10k+/-. Sounds like fuel mileage is not a concern, so 4.10 axles may be better than 3.73 axles. When I was looking - autos were easier to find than manuals.

Quick Reply: Going to CR...need advice