3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Going to build a cummins to make 800hp

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just got back from relentless diesel. those guys are dealing with some serious hp. rc ***'s truck was there as was another guy names jason. he has the same motor work as rc but its in a 2wd reg cab short bed with slicks (1/4 in 10.99) . i asked him if rc drives his very often and he told me that they smoke to much and are not very good on the road. they are about 300hp higher than you want to be, but if this is your main mode of transportation i would really think long and hard how much you are willing to spend on a rental when the truck breaks. i think the idea is awesome but i just wanted to express some of my ideas on the reliability issues to be had with a heavily bombed truck. if you want to get into the racing scene, i would consider what morse has to offer. good luck. hope i didnt rain on your parade. also, 35k could be used to buy a quick little car or a boat even

brett
Old 06-19-2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by onetun
alright so what your saying is a 800hp daily driver.. will also be a daily wrencher. I guess I can respect that, however I will chose the path that reduces the chance of that happening.
What do ya say is more of a real # or should a guy just go with what he got 500 and shut up........
Are you wanting to daily drive the 800hp or just have an engine that can hit that and run around on occasion?

Originally Posted by acook
639 has been pretty reliable for me. Anymore and im going to start having problems.

Do you daily drive that or turn it down? I mean, onetun could have a truck that makes 800+ for playing and racing but turn it down to 550-600 for everyday stuff. That seems like the logical route to me.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:21 PM

I would buy a stock '06 motor to start with. Then I'd swap in your F1 cam (if it's a bolt on gear), add springs, ARP 625 studs, F1 Flux 3 to 3.5's, dual cp3's, add a second 392 lift pump or bigger pump, a HTT 64/71/13 and a 80 to 88mm S400 twin set up (the 80 will drive better but doesn't allow for much growth), and a bigger clutch. You have a intercooler so I'd add a TST to the above list and call it good.

I dont know why you dont just use the motor you have as the whole thing could happen in about a weeks shop time and saves you the cost of the motor but to each his own I guess. Including labor if you used your motor I would bet you could do it for under 20k and about 26-27k with a new motor.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:26 PM

onetun pm sent to you
Old 06-19-2007, 06:30 PM

Buy mine..... ;-)
Old 06-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boz007
Are you wanting to daily drive the 800hp or just have an engine that can hit that and run around on occasion?

Do you daily drive that or turn it down? I mean, onetun could have a truck that makes 800+ for playing and racing but turn it down to 550-600 for everyday stuff. That seems like the logical route to me.
I dont like switching things, unless i let my father drive it my truck runs at 639HP. You can only turn things down to a point, if you have a 1000hp diesel, you can only turn it down so much, trust me if you have an 800hp truck...you will be working on it if its used as a daily driver constantly.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:05 PM
O.T

Originally Posted by acook
I dont like switching things, unless i let my father drive it my truck runs at 639HP. You can only turn things down to a point, if you have a 1000hp diesel, you can only turn it down so much, trust me if you have an 800hp truck...you will be working on it if its used as a daily driver constantly.
Well thats no good.........I plan on driving this truck more than once a week. Although it is not my daily driver I still consider it a daily driver,

Maybe I will have to re think all of this.............a helix cam, springs, dual pumps sounds pretty logical for some good hp.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:20 PM

over 700 Hp daily driven with no problems out of the ordinary. Of course there are also the guys that break stuff stock also! So far I have only popped one headgasket and replaced one slipping FE clutch with 68,000 miles on the clock.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 PM
DTR Advertiser

I am convinced I am over 800 hp on diesel only now. If you drive with some sense and keep the power around 550 as you daily drive, it can be done. You will work on more than a 500 hp truck for sure(tighten boots, often oil changes, retorks etc) That being said I just got done pulling my head from blowing the rear of the head gasket to the fire wall. I was testing some last night and had the wick all the way up. You will break things though so budget money for it. Another thing if you are running twin turbos and twin pumps it takes a lot longer to do repairs. It took me almost 5 hrs to get my head off tonight. The inside of my cylinders, pistons and block deck look great, I would highly recommend running a full synthetic oil if you are over 600hp. Tim
Old 06-19-2007, 08:35 PM

LOL, looks like you got into some serious testing with those new huffers.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Timinva
I am convinced I am over 800 hp on diesel only now. If you drive with some sense and keep the power around 550 as you daily drive, it can be done. You will work on more than a 500 hp truck for sure(tighten boots, often oil changes, retorks etc) That being said I just got done pulling my head from blowing the rear of the head gasket to the fire wall. I was testing some last night and had the wick all the way up. You will break things though so budget money for it. Another thing if you are running twin turbos and twin pumps it takes a lot longer to do repairs. It took me almost 5 hrs to get my head off tonight. The inside of my cylinders, pistons and block deck look great, I would highly recommend running a full synthetic oil if you are over 600hp. Tim
------------
Tim:

Hey buddy, I am very sorry to hear about your head! But, I know you will get it fixed and am looking forward to seeing you run that thing at Claremont!

I agree with what Tim has said. My 1996 Dodge CTD is a little over 800 H.P. and I drive the truck every single day! I also drive it to many of the DHRA Drag Race Events and diesel rallies across the U.S., the most recent being this past weeeknd at Clay City, Ky. Many of the members that know me here can back that up if anyone doubts it. Tim is right in saying that there is more "maintenance" involved as far as keeping your eye on things, but there are many guys doing it across the U.S. I also know that MADDOG drives his Fummins to many of the diesel events too and he is WAY above me pushing 1,000 H.P. He pulled his Dynojet 248 with his Fummins to the ATS Truckfest in Denver last year! Richard lives in Utah and that is a pretty good hike all the way from there to Denver. As DTR Member "lmills" said, "there are guys with stock parts that break their trucks."

--------
John_P
Old 06-19-2007, 09:08 PM
O.T

Originally Posted by lmills
over 700 Hp daily driven with no problems out of the ordinary. Of course there are also the guys that break stuff stock also! So far I have only popped one headgasket and replaced one slipping FE clutch with 68,000 miles on the clock.
At what point does a guy need to consider slugs, head work.

Originally Posted by Timinva
running amsoil fully synthetic, this is a pretty new game, however I have research a fair bit and have found many members making good power (over 600) and then their are guys making 600hp but have terrible lag, what I'm saying is.... What about the guys that will dish out, and in return have a oil burner that performs like a high hp truck but is street friendly and can be used hauling cattle!
Do you gain reliable hp by doing the inside work, or are the bolts so to speak the big gainers.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:55 PM
DTR Advertiser

Lloyd, are you still running a stock mls gasket? I was getting some big boost numbers when it blew a boot, that will wake you up by the way. Truck still idles fine afterwards I just had a slight tick that was not there before. The gasket may have been going before hand but it blew about 1" out of the top 2 layers of the mls.
John I am gonna try to have it done by Claremont but I have two trannys and a cam to do this weekend , so I will be burning the midnight oil. I will be there though all 3 days with my 00 if all else fails.
Onetun you can make 800 with twins and it will not be to laggy, with a single though it will be hard. I would not plan on towing with a 800hp truck. These engines while incredibly strong are getting close to there limit above 800 hp. The more you use it at 800hp the likelyhood of terminal damage goes way up. Lots of bent common rail rods. headgaskets and turbos now that it is getting easier( but expensive) to get 800-1000 hp . Tim
Old 06-20-2007, 06:09 AM

From personal experience...The time your truck can be turned up and driven at 700+ hp is measured in minutes if not seconds....not hours.

With the CP3.4....Flux 3.# and the twins...with smarty on 1, TST on 1/6* I could make....70+ boost. Turning it up a little bit Smarty 3 TST 2/1 and I could push 80+.
2 headgaskets, 5 II injectors, 1 valve seat, 1 valve, 1 piston, 5 cylinder walls, the cost ....pretty much priceless. Kerry
Old 06-20-2007, 11:33 AM

Don't depress me...I expect another easy problem free 100k out of my new setup!

Quick Reply: Going to build a cummins to make 800hp