3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Goerend Valve Body install questions? Torque specs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goerend Valve Body install questions? Torque specs?

Working on the install of my valvebody on my 03 48RE.

So far I've got the old valvebody out which was pretty easy. The little E-clip popped off real easily. Got the plug down through no problem. The only downside was the tranny fluid bath.

Now I have a few questions.

The Goerend valvebody came with a new servo spring. Its hard to tell from the installation instructions which side of the transmission this is on. Now do I remove the the nut on the bar thingy towards the engine or do I remove the piece towards the rear of transmission? In other words is the servo spring in the front(engine side) or the rear(transfer case side) of the transmission?

The valvebody came with a fancy looking homemade tool to do the servo spring. I'm just not sure were to put it.

Also, now this rod that comes from the rear of tranny that is just dangling. I'm assuming this is ok? I just have to get it lined up when I put the new valvebody in. This rod doesn't have to go further in the transmission or there is no way this can fall out or anything, correct?

Thanks for the help guys!

Also, what should the bolts that hold the valvebody on be torqued to? I think I saw the pan bolts are like 12 ft lbs?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:17 AM

can't help you with the important ?'s, but it's good to see another 'wester on here
Old 05-31-2008, 08:15 AM

I am from Billings, but stationed in NC.....PM MCMOPAR or TIMinVA for torque specs....
Old 05-31-2008, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennRMK
Working on the install of my valvebody on my 03 48RE.

So far I've got the old valvebody out which was pretty easy. The little E-clip popped off real easily. Got the plug down through no problem. The only downside was the tranny fluid bath.

Now I have a few questions.

The Goerend valvebody came with a new servo spring. Its hard to tell from the installation instructions which side of the transmission this is on. Now do I remove the the nut on the bar thingy towards the engine or do I remove the piece towards the rear of transmission? In other words is the servo spring in the front(engine side) or the rear(transfer case side) of the transmission?

The valvebody came with a fancy looking homemade tool to do the servo spring. I'm just not sure were to put it.

Also, now this rod that comes from the rear of tranny that is just dangling. I'm assuming this is ok? I just have to get it lined up when I put the new valvebody in. This rod doesn't have to go further in the transmission or there is no way this can fall out or anything, correct?

Thanks for the help guys!

Also, what should the bolts that hold the valvebody on be torqued to? I think I saw the pan bolts are like 12 ft lbs?
the nut on the outside of the trans is the band adjust.servo spring is closest teh motor on the left side need to compress the spring a little to get the retainer out.I used a big c clamp to do it. the park rod should not come out. and the valve body torque is 100 in lbs
Old 05-31-2008, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valvebody bolts should be at 105 inch pounds.
The nut on the bar thingy, you are on your own!!
The rod dangling is a little tough to get in, best way is to rock the truck back and forth while pushing on it.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:52 AM

Update

Everything is in

I put about 35 miles on and everything seems good except:

The park light indicator doesn't wanna come on. Sometimes it does, other times you gotta go down and then go back up to get it to lock in.

Is there anyway to adjust the linkage? Not sure what else I can do

On the plus side, the shifts are a little firmer but the tranny feels a lot better. More responsive. Temps are down 5-10 degrees. Pretty happy with the results. I just need to fix the park indicator deal.