3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Goerend Tc And Vb Install Almost Complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goerend Tc And Vb Install Almost Complete

well it took me most of the day to remove my trans and install the TC, VB, apply lever, strap, anchor, servo spring and oil orifice then reinstall everything in the truck. but i guess thats not too bad since i had to work on the ground w/o a lift. the transfer case and trans werent as heavy as i thought they would be and the job was actually alot easier than i thought, it is just time consuming w/o a lift. you definatley need two people when you drop the trans itself as it is awkward using only a floor jack to lower it down.

tomorrow i have to wire in my shift enhancer and install the drive shafts and exhaust then just fill up the fluids and check the line pressure and shes all done. i have to say that Dave Goerend has awesome customer service. he gave me his cell and home phone #'s to get ahold of him if i had any questions during the install and i did call him at home once w/ a question. he is always more than helpful.

to anyone doing this themselves i would suggest definately having someone to give you a hand and also use some 4x4 wooden blocks stacked up under the wheels to get an extra 8" of lift. this allowed me to actually sit up under the truck and really made it easier so i didnt have to lay on my back the whole time.

just thought i would share this w/ everyone to let you guys know that the job isnt as bad as it can seem.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 PM

Just for reference, did Dave tell you how much power the TC, VB, and other internals that you listed would hold?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:44 AM

he didnt mention how much hp it would hold but i plan on being somewhere around 550. im going to have to resist the urge to try any boosted launches at the track w/o the billet fp and shafts. when its time for a rebuild in the future i will be ordering a full billet trans from Dave
Old 02-09-2008, 12:01 PM

So did you get her all buttoned up?

So how does this work, do you pay a core fee up front. Take out your old parts, send them to Dave and get refunded?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:03 PM

well i got it finished but ran out of atf+4 fluid. i ended up 2-3 qts shy. i will have to wait until monday to get more.

on a good note, the line pressure looks good in "D" at idle. and it sounds and shifts good at idle so now i just have to wait to get some more fluid to top it off before i go for a drive.

btw, so far it took 13 qts of fluid. i just found out i will probably need 2-3 more

yes you pay the 600. core up front and then when you ship them back your old tc and vb they refund your 600. total cost w/ core charge was 2,829. i will get back 600. so the total cost for all parts was 2,229. this inluded a TC w/ lifetime warranty, VB, apply lever, strap, anchor and shift enhancer.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:17 PM

If you talk to Dave he uses atf+III on the installs he does up there in Iowa, I saw a big tank of it while I was there and I asked him about it.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:22 PM

Most everyone I know uses Dextron III for a performance trans....
Old 02-09-2008, 08:24 PM

I think he uses that and an additional friction additive, but I dont remember which one he recommends. Something I need to find out before I install mine next week.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 PM

we never discussed what fluid i should run, but i did mention i was using atf+4 and he didnt say anything about it. i will double check to make sure, but i think it will be fine.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:10 AM

You will be fine using ATF+4..... As for a trans additive a lot of builders use Lubegard.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 AM

Dextron III with the lubeguard is suppose to give the same performance as ATF+4. No, not the same formula, just close to the same performance.

Since ATF+4 use to be so much more expensive than Dextron III most used the Dextron III along with lubeguard as a safe alternative. I'am not saying to use Dextron III and lubeguard in a stock transmission as an alternative, just that's what the rebuilders have done in the past.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:36 AM

I like the Lubegard protectant in all rebuilds. The Lubegard friction modified suppliment is good for using dextron III universally for other grades. A lot of the new trans fluids lack good additive packages and Duralube seems to help.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:04 AM

Yes, Dave also gave me a 10 oz. bottle of LubeGuard Platinum automatic transmission fliud protectant. I don't know the reason for sure most all trans builders say to use ATF+III but just some info I do know about used cars from friends in the business most Dodge and Chrysler cars/trucks with near 80k+ miles feel like the trans "shutters" and/or shifts jerky or harsh. They do a fluid change to Dextron III or ATF+III and the shutter is gone and trans shifts smooth. Seems to be a standard service for used car dealers on Dodge/Chrysler vehicles so buyers won't be afraid of trans problems if they feel the shutter/harshness.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:48 AM

The type of fluid used depends on the type of clutches used in the build. Some trannys will actually slip the clutches if the wrong fluid is used.