3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Glacier Diesel Walbro kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:43 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Glacier Diesel Walbro kit

I just finished installing my new Glacier Diesel Walbro kit. This is a top quality setup. Well thought out, simple and should end the whole lift pump problem. I'm really glad I bought the kit instead of working through it piece by piece. I took my time and spent about three hours on it. I was going to drop the tank and do the vent mod too but I decided to put that off till later.
The pump is so quiet that I had to listen under the truck to hear it and there was no problem with air in the lines. Why didn't Dodge do this? Thanks Richard.

John
Old 04-20-2006, 08:51 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How bout cost?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:06 PM

Ask Gypsyman for info.

Wetspirit
Old 04-20-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still haven't heard why a lift pump is such a big deal for CR trucks, the Duramax has CR and does not use a lift pump, just the internal pump inside the injection pump. So why should Dodge need a lift pump?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wetspirit
I just finished installing my new Glacier Diesel Walbro kit. This is a top quality setup. Well thought out, simple and should end the whole lift pump problem. I'm really glad I bought the kit instead of working through it piece by piece. I took my time and spent about three hours on it. I was going to drop the tank and do the vent mod too but I decided to put that off till later.
The pump is so quiet that I had to listen under the truck to hear it and there was no problem with air in the lines. Why didn't Dodge do this? Thanks Richard.

John
Thanks for the follow up call and feedback John. It was good talking to you again and I'm glad to hear that your install went smoothly.

wap,

Pricing for the '03-'04.5 trucks is available thru the link in my signature and I should have '05 system for your truck available shortly.

Richard
Old 04-21-2006, 07:02 AM

Gypsyman what is the difference in the two kits 391 and 392 the site does not mention it?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:05 AM

Gypsyman,

Will the '05 kit your working on also work on an '06?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2006, 07:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice looking kit. May have to add it to my birthday wish list.

MikeyB
Old 04-21-2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by WildBill
I still haven't heard why a lift pump is such a big deal for CR trucks, the Duramax has CR and does not use a lift pump, just the internal pump inside the injection pump. So why should Dodge need a lift pump?

The Dodges will not run without the lift pump functioning properly. I think it's a pressure sensor or an electrical resistance change that signals a problem and the computer throws a code and stops the engine. Also, the CP3 won't draw fuel through the existing fuel pump. If all that is eliminated the CP3 will get less fuel and run dry sometimes while pumping the air out to get fuel. And while the engine is running there won't be an excess amount of fuel in the pump for cooling.
I guess Chevys don't use the lift pump. That's not necessarily better and ours are not designed to run that way. The old twelve valve mechanical pumps may be the best of all.
I may not have all this right, someone else can chime in.

John
Old 04-21-2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Reaper
Gypsyman,

Will the '05 kit your working on also work on an '06?

Thanks!
At this point I'm going to say no. I was looking at a friends new '06 and snapping some pictures yesterday. The fuse box is completely different and I believe that the fuel pump relay is hidden behind the front drivers side fender liner. If that's the case then to stay code free will take another completely different trigger harness.

John wouldn't let me tear the fender liner out of his brand new truck to confirm my suspicions for some reason. Has anyone confirmed the new location of the '06 fuel pump relay?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wetspirit
The Dodges will not run without the lift pump functioning properly. I think it's a pressure sensor or an electrical resistance change that signals a problem and the computer throws a code and stops the engine. Also, the CP3 won't draw fuel through the existing fuel pump. If all that is eliminated the CP3 will get less fuel and run dry sometimes while pumping the air out to get fuel. And while the engine is running there won't be an excess amount of fuel in the pump for cooling.
I guess Chevys don't use the lift pump. That's not necessarily better and ours are not designed to run that way. The old twelve valve mechanical pumps may be the best of all.
I may not have all this right, someone else can chime in.

John
Actually, yes it will still run even with the in tank pump disconnected. All it does is set a code in the computer. Of course it does still need to be fed fuel. Also, there is one thing to consider about the duramaxes. Even though they do not have lift pumps from the factory, most of the modded ones making HP do have a pusher pump installed in line.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:08 AM

Gypsyman,
What's the difference between the two pumps? Flow and gph?

MikeyB
Old 04-22-2006, 11:03 AM

You mean the 391 and 392?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gypsyman
You mean the 391 and 392?
Yes.

MikeyB
Old 04-22-2006, 09:18 PM

Sorry for the delay. Had some turbo work that had to be taken care of. I ran my own flow test and the charts posted online are dead on. The 391 at the provided 17 psi is at 50 gph and the 392 is at 70 gph. The difference is that we're getting the entire gph output right to the inlet of the CP-3.

As you probably saw in the other thread Lloyd is holding mid 20's with a Stage 2 CP-3 and a single 392. For the guys that really want to get crazy with flow and pressure I'm going to work on a twin 392 system that will allow 40 to 60 psi at the flick of a switch but more sane pressure levels for daily driving.

Richard

Quick Reply: Glacier Diesel Walbro kit