3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Giant Backup Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Giant Backup Lights

WhiteNight Backup Lights

Read about these backup lights and thought about how I was wantin' some. Looks slick, mounts on the receiver, but what I'm wondering is how they are controlled.

Hook up to existing back-up lights... Noop don't wantum on all the time, plus probably draws TOO many amps for that circuit and fuse.

I read where there is unused relays in the fuse relay box (aka Integrated Power Module) that could be used for other devices.

Any input from those that have installed giant backup lamps?

Best way to switchm', run new wire all the way back to the new lights, fuse capacity?
Old 10-08-2005, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will let you know tomorrow. My White Night kit was delivered Wednesday. I am going to install tomorrow. Not sure I like how far the mount/casing sticks out past the receiver hitch. I am going to install them and see what I think. I may do some creative hacking on them. The instructions explain how to tap into the trailer hitch wiring for power and control. They need three wires connected. Power, ground and backup light wire. Looks pretty simple. Every thing is supplied in the kit. My night vision is really getting bad, I drive with my mirrors and with my vision at night that is a scary thing.

The unit has a 3 position switch. On regardless of truck backup lights, on when vehicle backup lights are on and off.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:00 AM

i am running a pair of 55w 6" off road type lamps mounted to the frame with drop brackets as my backup lamps. i have no other backup lamps as the stock b/up lamp location is now my turn signals. i have them wired off a separate relay in a control box i have mounted under the truck behind the bumper. power is a fused direct lead off the battery and i just use the factory wiring as a signal to the relay. i have them also mounted in series with a very HD rheostat [one used to fine tune trailer electric brakes] and with a flip of a switch, they will switch over to full voltage [normally running in dim]. i am when i can the lights i want, will switch them to something brighter that is dual fillament so i can have low being 55w and high being over 100w... that will make me happy and give me lots of rear visiablility.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:06 AM

Shovelhead has some of those. PM him...
Old 10-08-2005, 10:09 AM

I have them and they work fine, you wire them to your existing backup lights and they come on when backing up or if your are hooking up a trailer there is a switch on the back of the unit that lets you toggle on or off, or on with reverse. I have had them on my truck for close to a year now and the only problem I have encountered is that the safety chains rub on the light housing but from what I understand you can trim the back piece out to prevent this.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:22 PM

Finished the White Night Backup Light Kit install. Pretty simple tapped power and backup light relay control from wiring going to the 7 Pin Trailer plug per instructions.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:37 PM

where is the switch located? In cab, or on the unit?

And is that the fixed mount or insert style?
Old 10-08-2005, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Herrin821
where is the switch located? In cab, or on the unit?

And is that the fixed mount or insert style?
It is the fixed mount style. The switch is on the back of the light unit. I just got back from my first night trip. WOW! Difference is amazing. I can back up using my mirrors just like daylight. Wish I had done this a year ago.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:43 PM

Yes, run the power wire all the way back. 2nd wire taps into the back-up wire
, and the 3rd is ground. The power line is fuse protected. I love these lights.
See my gallery
Old 10-09-2005, 12:58 AM

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate the help.

Just got my gauges and Howards shut down timer and began thinking about all the mods I want to make.

Would like to plan ahead so I don't have multiple holes poked in my fuse-relay box, installation is clean, and things are easily disconnected and reconnected when needed to do other mods or repairs.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:38 AM

Ok update on the down side of the White Night Kit I installed. Openned the tool box this morning to get a reciever hitch insert to put on. I have 3 hitch inserts with different drops. None of them will work with the White Night installed normally. You need 4.5" between the pin hole center and where the down bar connects. All three of mine are 3.5". The installation tip sheet does point this out, but I thought mine had that clearance. I guess that I will look to do some design reengineering this week. Too bad now I will have to apply all of my normal trial and error design processes.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:50 AM

in your pic above, it looks like the hole has a cover on it....is that a cover or a plug or what???

If it was me, I'd figure a way to wire a switch in cab...would be more convienient...Not to mention you could blast the moron tailgating you
Old 10-09-2005, 11:24 AM

It just has a plug covering the receiver opening. The hitch inserts go in fine, just not far enough in to insert the pin/lock. I will be fabricating my own i guess and probably put the switch in the cab. I have all the wiring and a switch that was for a different set of lights from my other truck. I just wanted that easy bolt on, plug up and go option. It's always something....