3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

GFS and TST installed, got a little problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, thanks a lot for all the replies, lots of info.

Richard from GDP answered the email promptly and said that one possible solution could be "re-wire the system to have the stock pump feeding the new pump which allows the use of the stock sending unit. This eliminates the problems caused by excessively low fuel conditions." just like yelloz28 did and TAS05CTD610 suggested.

My questions about this idea are:
Could the stock lift pump (when wired with the walbro pump) keep up with the TST with the higher settings, and/or maybe stack in the future? or will it dry the fuel line between lift pumps?

Also like the idea that yelloz28 and Stacked97 suggested about a dual pick-up:
If going up or downhill, when one of the tubes starves for fuel, would that cause to pick-up and get air in the fuel line? or will it be fine?

And finally this one is from a friend of mine:
How about an inverted T with lots of little holes on the side of the hose that somehow sits on the tank's floor and goes side to side:
Again the air in the fuel line question arise.

Thanks again.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Banned

So use the stock pump to fuel the Walbro? does that hold the needed PSI?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:12 AM

Yes if you did a t like that it would suck air. Just like anything the path of least resistance will be chosen. If you are going to use the stock pump to supply fuel, I would at least run the new pickup tube, into the stock lift pump location. It pushes most of the fuel into the yellow "can" on the bottom of the fuel tank. This will provide a much larger amount of fuel than if you had the stocker pumping the walbro. Another issue is if the stocker fails, now the walbro won't be able to supply fuel, where at least it may surge if low on fuel but not entirely.

I'm still looking at ways to do this. The problem is the way the stocker works, using pressure to create a vacume, but to do this you need to have the pump push fuel past the venture to get the fuel (complicated). I am in the same boat, as long as I'm not on big hills I'm fine, but if I'm under 1/4 tank I have that issue. 1/4 tank for me is around 400 miles and by then I'm ready for a rest break, or food
Old 11-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

I guess its not that big of a deal....I dont run below half tank because of my FASS. below half it starts sucking for air and you can watch FP drop with the change in tone of the pump. Around 1/8 FP will hit 0....and it dies
Old 11-13-2006, 09:43 AM

I have one of the first GDP setups (without the flexible pickup tube) I can go all the way till the light comes on. It's no big deal to me because I never saw the point in pushing it till the last little drop of fuel. It simple... When it gets down to where the light comes on, fill up.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:47 AM

I dont' know how everyone can sit here and say, "its no big deal"

If dodge were to sell you a new truck and you ran out of gas with a 1/4 tank left everyone would be throwing a fit, complaining how poorly engineered it was. And if when you went to them for a fix they just said, sorry thats all we can do, that would satisfy no one.

For the price this kit costs there should be a better solution and I would have liked to know this fact before install, it should be noted as a disclaimer or something.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:49 AM

We heated my pick up tube to put an S curve in it and notched a couple of v's into the very end. This put the tube with its end flat against the bottom of the deep part of the tank. With the tube butted against the tank, it would usually just suction itself to the bottom and not get any fuel, BUT with the V notches, it still is able to suck fuel. It has worked great, but even so, I never let my truck get much below 100 miles as a habit of safety. You never know if the last fuel stop for 100 miles has a broken diesel pump(Yeah, I worry about crap like that ).
Old 11-13-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by yelloz28
I dont' know how everyone can sit here and say, "its no big deal"

If dodge were to sell you a new truck and you ran out of gas with a 1/4 tank left everyone would be throwing a fit, complaining how poorly engineered it was. And if when you went to them for a fix they just said, sorry thats all we can do, that would satisfy no one.

For the price this kit costs there should be a better solution and I would have liked to know this fact before install, it should be noted as a disclaimer or something.
I have run mine til my stock overhead display says ZERO on two different occasions. The first time was on my way back from Vegas and the gas station I tried to go to was out of diesel. So I had to stretch it another 75 miles. As the overhead display was counting down to zero, I told my passengers tat we could possibly be walking, since this was the first time I'd run the tank so low since the install. It hit zero, and I ended up driving another 5 miles. I was quite impressed with my install after that point.

It all depends on how you have the new pickup tube installed. Did you cut very much off? I think I cut about an inch off, then did that angle cut. Mine is slightly curved as it makes contact with the bottom of the tank. Make sure when you tightened it up, that the pickup tube didn't rotate to the left or right. That would definitely cause a problem.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jaredb900rr
It all depends on how you have the new pickup tube installed. Did you cut very much off? I think I cut about an inch off, then did that angle cut. Mine is slightly curved as it makes contact with the bottom of the tank. Make sure when you tightened it up, that the pickup tube didn't rotate to the left or right. That would definitely cause a problem.
I think you're on the money. I installed my GDP system about a month ago. My install of the pickup tube is the same and I only experience a fuel shortage when my gauge reads dead empty and I'm on a hill.

Sid
Old 11-13-2006, 02:06 PM

My buddy installed a 392 system on his 06. He started with the original pickup tube. He ran out at 1/4 tank. He got a flexible pickup from Richard and I've been with him and watched him go for some time after the light is on with no problem. The problem is fixed. Again, I think it is stupid to push it so far.

Honestly, what do you gain? 2-3 gallons? 30-50 miles The only time it would be a concern is on a long trip... but my girlfriend thinks she needs to stop at every gas station she sees to take a bathroom break so I stop well before I have a concern of running out of fuel
Old 11-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Banned

when my fuel light go's on at 1/8th I can get 100 freway miles out of it and that's alot to me
Old 11-13-2006, 02:51 PM

BigDan,

That is becuase you have a truck prior to the 05-06 trucks. It is VERY simple. If you have 03-04 truck you are fine. Put an aftermarket fuel system on and run it to "E" like you guys like to do. If you have an 05+ fill up earlier or run the stock fuel system. What else can a guy say to make everyone understand it. It is the way the fuel system was designed starting in 05.

Why are you even concerned? You have an 03....
Old 11-13-2006, 02:52 PM

Its a lot to me too...so do the easy thing and adjust the pickup tube! It is not that hard...I like the notch idea!