3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

GFS and TST installed, got a little problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GFS-392 and TST installed, got a little problem.

Hey guys/gals, need a little help here, did a search but didn't find anything related to this problem. Sorry for the long story but here it goes.

I installed the new TST, the GFS-392 competition system, MK-2 filter and big line kit on my truck, the tst and lift pump are wired so the cool-down timer on the tst works ok and it does.

The truck dies when going down hill (going up hill everything is fine) and has 165 km (102 miles) or less left on the overhead computer;as soon as the hill is over I can start the truck and ride again until the next hill. This never happened before the tst and glacier system was on the truck, I used to wait until the truck had like 50 miles left on the overhead and then go to refuel, the truck never quit on me either going up or down hill.
I think that the problem is the pick up tube that goes in the tank, it's like the truck starves for fuel going downhill and doesn't give any kind of warning, it just dies. The pick-up tube is installed just as described in the GDP instructions.

-Is this behavior normal after the fuel system install?
-If it's not normal, am I on the right track with the pick-up tube idea or is the problem bigger than I think?
-Is there a way to reroute the tube so it gets more fuel even going down hill?
-Any other thing that can cause this kind of behavior?
-Any other possible solution?

And just to be clear I'm NOT bashing GDP or their products, I think the GFS-392 system and the MK-2 filter with big line kit are great, work awesome and do a great job, I'm very happy with it and with GDP's customer service. My truck runs like hell with this system and the TST. I'm just not sure if this is normal or not.

Again sorry for the long post and the bunch of questions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:26 AM

Did you try calling GDP? It definitely sounds like you are on the right track. Does the system come with a new pickup tube? If so, could you have installed it towards the rear of the tank when it should have been in the front?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:04 PM

Hey Dodgezilla, thanks for the reply.

I just sent an email to GDP, I'm sure they'll answer very soon, their customer service is top notch.

The system does come with a new pick up tube and is centered as per instructions.

It's a pita to remove the fuel tank again just to reroute the tube, but maybe I'll take this as an oportunity to buy one of those fuel tank vent kits.

Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned

yea i'm thinking it has to do with the new pick up tube...Glacier will take care of you.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:47 PM

I just had the same thing happen when I installed last week and it is due to the pickup tube. If you want to use their pickup tube, you just have to deal with that, real great solution . I instead chose to run my GDP pump in conjuction with my stock pump. That way there is always fuel. If you were on a long road trip and allowed your truck to get to a 1/4 tank or maybe more, the GDP kit could strand you using their pickup, I didn't like that at all.

No offense and I hate to product bash, but the GDP kit isn't all its cracked up to be. The pump works good, but that isn't GDP's, its a walboro.

If I had it to do over again I would have definately done it differently and saved some money doin it.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by yelloz28
I just had the same thing happen when I installed last week and it is due to the pickup tube. If you want to use their pickup tube, you just have to deal with that, real great solution . I instead chose to run my GDP pump in conjuction with my stock pump. That way there is always fuel. If you were on a long road trip and allowed your truck to get to a 1/4 tank or maybe more, the GDP kit could strand you using their pickup, I didn't like that at all.

No offense and I hate to product bash, but the GDP kit isn't all its cracked up to be. The pump works good, but that isn't GDP's, its a walboro.

If I had it to do over again I would have definately done it differently and saved some money doin it.

Did you ever try contacting them?
Just curious if they had any kind of fix for that issue....

Is it all the time uphill, or only when fuel is low, or any other details of when it happens?

How are you running the walbro along with the stock pump? stock into walbro, then to filter?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:08 PM

Yeah I talked to them, that is what they told me, that if you use their pick up that you just have to deal with it cause they don't have a better solution. I bought the kit to get away from the stock pump, but I would rather have that and the stock pickup than GDP's pickup.

The pickup tube is relocated to the rear of the tank, so any time the truck is on a decline, even with a considerable amount of fuel in the tank it is possible to starve the pump.

Stock pump out of the tank and into the walboro. Works good, but again you are relying on the stock pump still. If you run them in conjuction it would be an easier install, just defeats the purpose of the kit.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:14 PM

Yeah I talked to them, that is what they told me, that if you use their pick up that you just have to deal with it cause they don't have a better solution. I bought the kit to get away from the stock pump, but I would rather have that and the stock pickup than GDP's pickup.

The pickup tube is relocated to the rear of the tank, so any time the truck is on a decline, even with a considerable amount of fuel in the tank it is possible to starve the pump.

Stock pump out of the tank and into the walboro. Works good, but again you are relying on the stock pump still. If you run them in conjuction it would be an easier install, just defeats the purpose of the kit.

Well, that stinks...

I know it was mounted in the rear because of it being at the tanks highest point, but is it possible to mount it in the rear and have the pickup tube aimed towards the middle of the tank(if the hose is long enough to reach)?

That or maybe a dual pick up, attach a Y fitting, to tap two different areas of the tank....?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 PM

That is the one thing I suggested, a t with a pickup at both ends. That is about all that would work decent.

You can't point it towards the middle because the stock pickup is in the way
Old 11-10-2006, 02:30 PM

That is the one thing I suggested, a t with a pickup at both ends. That is about all that would work decent.

You can't point it towards the middle because the stock pickup is in the way
Ah, ok, thats right....

Should be able to "T" it thought, one short piece of hose at the back of the tank, a longer piece to reach up to the front....

A hassle to drop the tank again, but it might fix the problem, or at least help some...
Old 11-10-2006, 02:46 PM

I am just going to continue to run both pumps for now. Its working fine.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:30 AM
Banned

Yeah Ive also heard of this before and I'm seriously re-considering their kit because you cant go below 1/4 tank.

These times are pretty rough on the pocket book right now and im usually at 1/4 to E since its $100 to fill er up. Heck that's where my truck usually spends its time is at 1/8th tank.

I cant believe GDP hasnt corrected this problem. I guess they dont care about loosing busniess since this has been a knowen problem for some time. Us CTD owners are always trying to find way of getting more miles out of a full tank have it be a vent mod kit, larger tanks, or aux tank

I really hope they fix it.

Come awn GDP!!!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:45 AM
tcb

question, the system for my truck, 03 does not picture a pickup tube, does it just use factory hardware, if so any problems with those trucks.
tim
Old 11-11-2006, 11:39 AM

pickup tube

I put mine towards the the front by the baffle.it works fine no problems,if you put the tube in the right spot u wont have no problems.I know guys with the fass that has had the same trouble with the running out of fuel @ 1/4 tank.on the 06 the lowest point is towards the center of the tank thats were u want the tube not the rear.oh yea i have the gdp system
Old 11-11-2006, 10:20 PM

It's not so much a flaw, as the design of the new tanks. The older trucks had a nice pick up, the new ones do too. The pump sucks fuel into a chamber, and a lot of the fuel is bypassed into this. That's why the new trucks have lower PSI than the older ones. When you starve the pump, the pump has enough fuel circulating in the little tank to keep the truck running untill the pump see's fuel again. With the new pick up this is eliminated. That's why the pump is mounted in the tank, at the bottom.

I was thinking of wiring in the stock pump with a switch, so when I need it, I just fire it on.

Most of us who put this type of pump in, are after performance and keeping the motor fueled. If your worried about not being able to run under 1/4 tank, then maybe mount one inside the stock tank (you'd have to make a bracket for that) The new tanks, and pick ups are hard to work with. Kinda like any mod you do, every up side, has a down side. Bigger tires and lifts are great but hard on the suspension components. I'm currently trying to figure out how to make both work. If you put the fuel pick up in the stock spot, and kept that pump runing you'd be great, have fuel and high PSI, however if the stocker ever died, you'd not get fuel. Even if you take a stock truck with around 1/4 tank of fuel and put it on a big hill, it will die out, however it'll take more like 5 min to die, instead of sooner because of the volume of fuel. GDP has a article on how the new system's work and you'll see why there tought to work with an aftermarket pump.

Quick Reply: GFS and TST installed, got a little problem.