3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

GFS install

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GFS install, still no smoke?????????

Just finished up my GFS 392 install. Took me about 2 1/2 hours taking my time. Very impressive kit. I have 20 PSI after the filter housing, before the CP3. I like, I like , I like I like

You can not hear the pump run at all, I had to put my hand on while I was under the truck to make sure (even though my gauge was reading 20 LBS, I was still like on how quiet it is).

I do have a question: Before the install, I had 2-3 PSI @ idle, and zero PSI under boost. I have my BDPP on Extreme, and was getting no smoke. So, I figured with no fuel, no smoke, hence the 392 install. Well, now tha tI have the 392 installed, I STILL have NO smoke. I know smoke is wasted power, but, I feel my truck is DOWN on power. MY buddies truck IDENTICAL to mine, right down to the color, and a build date within a week of my truck, and his truck with his BDPP on 90 HP setting smokes, and on the extreme, smokes like son of a gun.

My question, WHAT GIVES??????

I was sure once I got the 392 on, and with the needed fuel, I would start getting some fuel and some smoke, but nothing

Any suggestions???????
Old 01-12-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your's may not smoke, but the real question is does it have the same power? If somethings wrong I couldn't tell you why, but if it runs the same with less smoke, I say more efficient. Maybe somethings wrong with his.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Banned

We have not raced each other, so hard to say there. But, if you are meaning if I have the same power before the install and now, yes, I do. No change, though it DOES feel like the power comes on stronger on the bottom end, seat of the pants anyways.....
Old 01-12-2007, 07:29 PM

I just read my last post. What I ment to say was does it have the same power as your buddy's truck? Take a ride with him and see if it feels different. If it's the same then I wouldn't be concerned. Yours is just burning more efficiently. You could throw that in his face if your playing "keepin' up with th' Jones's"
Old 01-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-boe
I just read my last post. What I ment to say was does it have the same power as your buddy's truck? Take a ride with him and see if it feels different. If it's the same then I wouldn't be concerned. Yours is just burning more efficiently. You could throw that in his face if your playing "keepin' up with th' Jones's"

Yeah, I thought that is what you meant, but was not sure. No "keepin' up with th' Jones's" over here though .

I want to line em up with him to see, as he runs around on his 90 setting, because it smokes so bad. And I run around on the 130 setting because mine doe snot smoke at all. So, if we run 'em and he is there with me, I have issue's since I am running on the higher setting, so.......
Old 01-12-2007, 08:38 PM

If somethings wrong someone else would probably have to chime in. The only thing I could think of is the box isn't telling the injectors to stay open long enough. What are you egt's like compared to his?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-boe
If somethings wrong someone else would probably have to chime in. The only thing I could think of is the box isn't telling the injectors to stay open long enough. What are you egt's like compared to his?

Not sure what his are, will have to check. But mine get hot, quick. I can hit 1200 very easy, and I can just about peg the gauge if I want too on a 0-80 run, no smoke.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:22 PM

I ran a power pup on my 05. I think it smoked more on the lower settings than the triple dogs do. I have the same fuel system, I like it. I prefer it over the fass pump so far. I dont care for all the noise it made and I think this gdp system will be harder for the dealer to find.
If yours is a stick do you ever dog it out? Take off and then goto 3rd gear then 6th or so and see if will smoke then. My power pup would smoke decent on a bone stock trk. Thats would I would do to blow some smoke on ppl.
I see it says you have a tst on the way that should eat your buddy alive.
A 2wd would be a blast with mods
Old 01-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwb600
I ran a power pup on my 05. I think it smoked more on the lower settings than the triple dogs do. I have the same fuel system, I like it. I prefer it over the fass pump so far. I dont care for all the noise it made and I think this gdp system will be harder for the dealer to find.
If yours is a stick do you ever dog it out? Take off and then goto 3rd gear then 6th or so and see if will smoke then. My power pup would smoke decent on a bone stock trk. Thats would I would do to blow some smoke on ppl.
I see it says you have a tst on the way that should eat your buddy alive.
A 2wd would be a blast with mods

Yeah, I will lug the motor to try and get some smoke, like say 20 MPH in 6th gear, and floor it, but still barely get some.

Yeah, the TST will be here I guess on Monday (was hoping for today), so.....
Old 01-13-2007, 12:09 AM

When I ran a powerpup on mine it hardly smoked at all,, allmost nothing.

Kevin
Old 01-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by morkable
When I ran a powerpup on mine it hardly smoked at all,, allmost nothing.

Kevin

That makes me feel better. Just so odd ya know (and I know, every truck is a little different) my buddies truck being IDENTICAL to mine, even a build date within a month (said week earlier, but is a month) and he does not even like to run his on th 90 much less the 130 because of how bad HIS smokes. And then, here I am running around on the 130, and you would think I was on the 50 (tow) setting with no smoke? I mean I know the truck is making power 340+/680+ with a stock air filter, 4", and BDPP on 130 at the time is all I had done.

Now, I have the GDP and will have the TST here on Monday, but I am going to try and run my buddy before I get the TST installed and see where we stand up to each other....
Old 01-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Banned

Let me ask you guys this, wouldn't my truck smoke MORE because of a stock air filter than a free flowing one? I mean, with the stock air filter, you are dumping fuel, but not getting the air becasue of the restriction, right???

Makes me wonder if when I install my BHAF if I am going to have ANY smoke
Old 01-13-2007, 12:25 AM

Yes that is true, you should get more smoke with the stock filter.... but with other products than the bd you will get more smoke

Kevin
Old 01-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by morkable
Yes that is true, you should get more smoke with the stock filter.... but with other products than the bd you will get more smoke

Kevin

Well, let's see what happens I need more power Scotty
Old 01-14-2007, 11:24 AM

You will be able to produce smoke with the TST if you want, your setup sounds alot like mine. I can make smoke from the exhaust... but you will also get smoke from the clutch at the same time. I bet that will be your next improvement, it was on mine. I can still make the SBC slip if I try. Don't stop shopping yet .

Quick Reply: GFS install