3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Get the Delete pipe or a whole new exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my truck straight piped at a muffler shop for $50. They don't need to bend anything. They simply cut the pipe after the muffler, then towards the front of the cab, approx. 8' of pipe and the offset of the muffler straightens out nicely. I like the sound, definately will turn heads, it's fun to sneak up on people then pass them with WOT and watch the reaction as they look for the dump truck they were expecting. Does get a little drony when haulin' heavy and pulling a grade going 75 MPH.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:16 AM

[QUOTE=One Way]I got my truck straight piped at a muffler shop for $50. They don't need to bend anything. They simply cut the pipe after the muffler, then towards the front of the cab, approx. 8' of pipe and the offset of the muffler straightens out nicely.QUOTE]

im sorry, I am having a hard time understanding, any pics?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:55 AM

Where your guy's muffler shop able to expand 4" tubing? I have all of the resources to weld in a new pipe, but id like to have the ends expanded like the stock muffler is to make things fit nice.
A friend of mine has an 06 he had the delete pipe put in at a local muffler shop. They only charged 50$, wich I thought was pretty reasonable. But it looked like crap, every thing butted up and a trainee looking weld job that looked like they spent half of the time filling the holes they made while welding it.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 AM

Will a muffler shop take off the stock muffler off w/o damaging it? If I don't like the way the truck sounds w/o the muffler, I want to be able to put it back on!
Old 05-01-2006, 01:40 PM

Chances are no, the muffler clamps have a way of swaging the 2 peices of tubing into eachother.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by smash metal
Where your guy's muffler shop able to expand 4" tubing? I have all of the resources to weld in a new pipe, but id like to have the ends expanded like the stock muffler is to make things fit nice.
How do you expand the ends for a 4" pipe so it can fit nice? Also, does the pipe have to be stainless?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by smash metal
Chances are no, the muffler clamps have a way of swaging the 2 peices of tubing into eachother.
So how much would a replacement mufler (stock or aftermarket) run if I wanted to reinstall?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:02 PM

VikingDiesel/ No it does not have to be stainless. If you look at your exhaust system you'll notice places there the tubing slides inside another peice of tubing. Mainly where the muffler or maybe even where the cat is. These are the area's that the manufacture expands the tubing because they can simply slide peices together and put a clamp on them, much faster than welding. They make manderals that slide inside the tubing ends, when the mechanics of the manderal are used it puts force in the inside of the tube in an outward direction. Thus making the ends expanded to make room to slide an un expanded peice of tubing into it.
Most muffler shops have exhaust manderals, the question is, do they have a manderal that will expand 4" tubing. Most manderals are specific for each size tubing.