3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Get the Delete pipe or a whole new exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we have an '05 sitting in the driveway and we first gutted the cat which raised MPG about .5 Then we decided to cut off the muffler and it actually dropped the MPG about 1 so we put it back on
Just thought you would like to know
Old 03-05-2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 12valveford
we have an '05 sitting in the driveway and we first gutted the cat which raised MPG about .5 Then we decided to cut off the muffler and it actually dropped the MPG about 1 so we put it back on
Just thought you would like to know
So you are back to stock system? Do you still have that Muffler delete pipe? Also, did you buy the gutted CAT and is that for sale as well? TIA
Old 03-05-2006, 10:54 PM

Tried the straight pipe...had it on the truck for about twenty minutes...sounded like crap and the drone in the cab was annoying...but to each his own.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by jennis2613
Tried the straight pipe...had it on the truck for about twenty minutes...sounded like crap and the drone in the cab was annoying...but to each his own.
What are you trying to say, avoid the straight pipe and get a whole new exhaust system w/ muffler? ex: MBRP??
Old 03-06-2006, 12:30 AM

Dont bother with buying those premade delete pipes. A local muffler shop will cut and bend up a pipe for you for like 60 bucks max. To straight pipe my firends first gen it was like 37 bucks for a muffler shop to cut the muff out and bend and weld in the new pipe. The reason i say up to 60 bucks is cuz its 4 inch and not 3 inch like my friends.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Deezle98
Dont bother with buying those premade delete pipes. A local muffler shop will cut and bend up a pipe for you for like 60 bucks max. To straight pipe my firends first gen it was like 37 bucks for a muffler shop to cut the muff out and bend and weld in the new pipe. The reason i say up to 60 bucks is cuz its 4 inch and not 3 inch like my friends.
Hey, I appreciate that feedback. Something to think about.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Deezle98
You might not get a muffler shop to make you one, I could not find anyone who could bend 4" pipe. They said the equipment cost to much. Seems to me that as many people that are going to bigger exhaust, that someone could stand to make their money back.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ftltmp
You might not get a muffler shop to make you one, I could not find anyone who could bend 4" pipe. They said the equipment cost to much. Seems to me that as many people that are going to bigger exhaust, that someone could stand to make their money back.
I was just going to say the same thing. Good luck finding a muffler shop to bend 4" pipe.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
Since our exhaust is 4" stock, I cant see why I would spend all that money to buy something I already have so the obvious alternative is to get the delete pipe. Also, the most I will be looking to do is intake and chip, so I will not be needing a 5" exhaust. Any feedback would help.... Also, is there any way I can get dual exhaust by somehow keeping something or do I have to get a whole new system? And, If I dont get the delete pipe, should I keep the cat or get the TEST PIPE? TIA
4" straight piped. Better flow, lower EGT's just a little back pressure so the turbo will spool up. 5" is too much without other Hp mods, trust me i'm already at 5" without good spool up. Low end is gone!
Cheers
Mike
###
Old 03-06-2006, 09:33 PM

Keep the cat w/straight pipe OR kill the kitty with a straight muff. In any case, no big rig on earth sounds like a cummins- cat-muff. It is a raspy,
obnoxious-sounding thing that cops will shower with noise violations.

Just go by your local high school. I'm sure theres a ton of'em in there like that.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:17 PM

so all in all, Keep the cat, keep the exhaust, just get rid of the muffler and replace with a straight pipe and ill be all set. Thanks for all the help
Old 03-06-2006, 11:13 PM

Yes it may be hard to find someone that will bend a 4 inch pipe. When I was searching thru the phone book looking at exhaust shops, it seemed like there were quite a few places that said they worked with diesel systems so maybe you can find one.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:00 AM

Yes, a 4" bender is QUITE expensive. I think when I asked the muff man that question he said it is something like 75 or 100 grand for complete setup of bender, mandrels, etc. I don't even think they can use the same bender they
do on smaller stuff.

I guess if a shop got one our exhaust work would be $$$$$$$$$
Old 03-07-2006, 07:29 AM

My 06 had a soot collector (I think thats what it is) on the bend that goes up and over the rear axle after the muffler. I opted for the MBRP for this reason. I did cat back and it sounds awesome. It is not that much louder than stock when cruising, but will open up under a heavy right foot. No drone or annoying noise on the highway either.

I ran an Aeroturbine on my 04.5 and I liked the sound, but it was quite a bit louder than the MBRP. That is somewhat an apples/oranges comparison. My 04.5 was a QC shortbed and I did have a 6" tip that was tucked in a little tight. My MC exhaust has no tip and IMO that seems to have helped the most. The exhaust also extends out enough that I don't even get soot on the bumper like I did on my 04.5.

If the straight pipe is too loud for you, you can get the MBRP replacement muffler at the DTR website. Contact Larry Ellis for the best price.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:37 PM

I really hate too sound like the new guy (but I am ). But where Is the best place to start looking for a delete pipe? I keep coming up with the delete pipes for full systems, Id like to just pitch the muffler on my stock pipe. E-bay is leaving me short as well, is there another word I should be adding to my search?
Sorry to sound like the nuwbie, just looking for a little direction!

Quick Reply: Get the Delete pipe or a whole new exhaust?