3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Gauges - What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges - What would you do?

So I’m having a little debate with myself about what to do, and I can’t decide. My truck is at the point where rail and fuel pressure are becoming more of a necessity than a desire. Currently I have Isspro EV gauges for Boost, Pyro, and Trans temps. My current set-up obviously won’t work at all, since Isspro doesn’t make a rail pressure gauge for this series.

So my options are:

A- Quadzilla rail gauge. By far the easiest and cheapest. He’s got a new one coming out, with hopefully none of the issues the originals had. This lets me keep my other gauges and doesn’t take up much space.
B- Quadzilla Scout. This option does everything in one whole kit. I get my transmission temp (06 has one from the factory), EGT (optional kit), rail pressure, fuel pressure (kit), and boost. Now I’m limited my MAP readings.
C- Ditch the Isspro EV’s and go to the perfomax or EV2 line. Same for Dipricol.
D- Take my 3 pillar over head, say screw it to matching gauges, and get a fuel and rail gauge from the EV2 series or Dipricol line. My third gauge choice would be Air PSI (future bags capable).

None of these are really cut and dry super simple, but I’m leaning towards going digital. I don’t want a ton of gauges in my truck, but I don’t want mix and matching either. Loved the adrenaline/pulse combo in my 99, but I love my gauges I have now. So there is my dilemma, what have the rest of you done or think about this?

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 AM

Well the two of us are both in the same position for needing gauges. haha. I dont mind my digital gauge, the best thing about it is the data loging ability imo. When I go to purchase aditional guages, the rest of mine will be analog. I will continue to use the commander for egt, boost (until I get a turbo), and water/coolant temp. I would feel more comfortable having analog gauges for rail and fuel pressure.

But, if Quadzilla is able to get the Scout straight, and not have any of the problems the commander did in terms of fuel and rail pressure, that might not be a bad alternative. It just sucks to be one of the first to find out if it will work.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 AM

I'm kinda in the same position as you guys cause i just pulled my TST out which monitored everything and am debating to wait for the new quad rail/fuel pressure gauge to come out or just go with DiPricol rp and fp gauges.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:35 PM

I'm also watching this one, I have DiPricols in thepillar, EGT, boost and FP but I'm contemplating adding a pressure box so I'll be needing a RP gauge and don't like the idea of the column mount (blocking me view) or up my the mirror (known to fall off).
Didn't know quad was coming out with a new gauge, their old one was so small it would fit almost anywhere but it sure did have it's share of prolems.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 PM
trx

I'll be needing a RP gauge and don't like the idea of the column mount (blocking me view) or up my the mirror (known to fall off).

I thought the same thing but after installing a rail gauge on the column I find it does not block much and its easy to read there. Find my eyes glued to that one and forgot all about my egt gauge.

Game on gotta go
Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 PM

Doesn't block your "wait to start" light or fog indicator or?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 PM

Fisherguy, I read on here about a week ago I think ago somebody using an epoxy or a sealant to keep the guages above the rear view from falling down. Ill see if I can find the thread.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...gauge+mounting
Old 04-21-2009, 08:33 PM

What happens when you need to have the windshield replaced?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I'm also watching this one, I have DiPricols in thepillar, EGT, boost and FP but I'm contemplating adding a pressure box so I'll be needing a RP gauge and don't like the idea of the column mount (blocking me view) or up my the mirror (known to fall off).
Didn't know quad was coming out with a new gauge, their old one was so small it would fit almost anywhere but it sure did have it's share of prolems.
The new from what I've read is supposed to come in the same shell, but be faster/more accurate? As well as working with the "new" fuel pressure sensor. This probably will end up being the route I go, every other one is going to be much more expensive and being that they are gauges I won't keep an eye on 24/7 I'm sure I can find some way to tuck it away unless needed (i.e. strip or pulling a load).

Anyone else got any ideas?

Shawn
Old 04-21-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
What happens when you need to have the windshield replaced?
Well...I had not thought of that...haha...I suppose along with replacing your window your replacing your overhead mount.

Personally I really like the look of having gauges up there. There has to be a better way to go about mounting a set there.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as the gauges go I went with the Performax and love them.
As for mounts I have had pillar, overhead and now the dash pod and with out question I like the dash pod is the best for monitoring the gauges. The overhead I liked the least. I found the overhead very hard to focus on the gauges then back to the road and the pillar was to much in your face.
The dash pod is the only one I could actually watch a gauge and still see the road at the same time (not really needed with the recall feature on the Performax but....) I did put the FP gauge in the SRT pillar but with it down low its not to bad and I don't look at it all that often with the FASS.
Its a personal thing on what you like but if I had EVs already I would just get the EV2s for future gauges.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:49 AM

I got the dual steering column pod with the pyro and boost gauge in it and i love it.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:42 PM

I'm kinda in the same boat. I am looking for a fuel and rail pressure gauge, I just don't know what to go with. How complicated are the installs for these? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:09 PM
trx

Originally Posted by Big3500
I'm kinda in the same boat. I am looking for a fuel and rail pressure gauge, I just don't know what to go with. How complicated are the installs for these? Thanks.
The install is pretty easy. Two plugs on the rail presure gauge and a banjo bolt and a isolater for the fuel pressure. Hardest part was finding a power wire. I think diesel mannor has good instructions on their website.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:17 PM

Cool

This...

http://www.dieselmanor.com/dipricol/..._railpress.asp

And...

http://www.dieselmanor.com/dipricol/d200568opx_fuel.asp

In the Mickey Mouse ears over the steering column

http://www.dieselmanor.com/pillars_p...ts_stercol.asp

Quick Reply: Gauges - What would you do?