3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
View Poll Results: Gauges, New style monitor or full pillar with "regular" gauges
Straight mechanical,........ go with what is proven
73.27%
LCD Display,......... get into the 21st century!
22.77%
Other,....... please explain.
3.96%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Gauges, Digital or Old School?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like analog, I think monitors look ugly on truck dashes.

I just traded my old bypass filter for a set of Optix analog gauges, I had Isspro on my old truck and loved them but after looking at the new Optix gauges It was no contest Optix all the way with Isspro right there in 1.5 place

BTW I thought I read on DTR some where that the monitors get the Boost reading from the trucks sensor and if you bomb your truck the stock senors only reads to 30-35 psi, so if you where boosting more you would not know because the sensor could not read that high. Is this true?????
Old 09-12-2006, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the THING

Why do all the important must know readings on all the modern aircraft have analog style read outs on the LCD digital display screens? Could it be when something is really important to know, that a human eye can catch in a millisecond, is proven to be in analog style. There has been countless studies on information overload and the human brain is better able to process important dial readouts rather than digital numbers. Think of it this way, NASA launches the most advanced hardware into orbit and these readouts are LCD Analog format for the most important numbers. And another thing I think depth sounder size monitors belong on boat dashes not diesel pick-ups
Old 09-12-2006, 11:55 PM

First, the newest technology aircraft uses digital displays for the most part.

Secondly NASA does not actually have a great track record. Remember everything NASA does is based on the lowest bidder.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:52 AM

MM i agree with above, your eye can follow an analog guage with your periphial vision where as a digital takes a moment to focus on. And dont think im biased, im 25, so i grew up with digital watches and the like. And yes while NASA does make mistakes, they arent that often. Its just usually any mistake in space is critical with massive consequences. And quad, the armagheddon quote doesnt get me either. The lowest bidder still has to meet design specs, the cost cutting usually is manufacturing. I would think you of all people should realize that. Your chips went to the lowest or at least not the highest bidder who met your specs and quality control correct? ( i hope so, i own one. ) I would not question accuracy for an electronic guage today, I just base it on visual perception for safety. On a bright sunny day, i bet an orange needle is going to stick out more than a monochromatic digital display. however the digtial guages due offer more features.
Also, I suppose a long hauler would prefer analog and someone at the track would go digital, no?
So whats important to you? thats the question to ask yourself now.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:00 AM

With a digital gauge you don't need to look at it, you can set it to give you visible and audible warnings.

I guess what I do not understand is that no one has a problem reading their clock, or radio station.

The problem with an analog is that it cannot react quickly enough, you may see it rising but as it sweeps past 800 degrees you may actually be at 1000 degrees. The mechanical motors are just slow in comparison.

I also do not understand why people feel the analog stuff is more reliable. I read posts everyday about boost needles shaking or sticking and pyros going goofy or fuel pressure gauges never changing. How is that more reliable?

I totally understand when someone say I like the way the Autometer gauge or the Optix gauge looks. I also understand when they say that they like a full pillar of gauges or the like gauges everywhere so it looks like a cockpit. I think gadget and stuff like that is cool looking to. But don't make up some lame excuse that you cannot read a digital gauge as well or some other weird thing. If you even tried to read the digital stuff it is very smooth and won't give you any problems reading it at all. Not just ours but, the majority of the good digital gauges fall into this discussion.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:09 AM

I think Quad is right!

When I pondered getting analog, I notice my friends gauges would not always read quick enough. They would still be rising for a split second when he made shifts. Plus, I have read about needles sticking, seen needles shaking, and FP gauges not reading correctly also!

So I would have to say that I love my commander! Like Quad said, with a commander, you wont have to look at your gauges. Plus you can set defueling parameters and warnings so that you dont really need to look at numbers, but if you are a number person the digital is still easier to read in my opinion!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Qzilla do you have any info on the question in the bottom of my post?
thanks
Originally Posted by 53 ******
I like analog, I think monitors look ugly on truck dashes.

I just traded my old bypass filter for a set of Optix analog gauges, I had Isspro on my old truck and loved them but after looking at the new Optix gauges It was no contest Optix all the way with Isspro right there in 1.5 place

BTW I thought I read on DTR some where that the monitors get the Boost reading from the trucks sensor and if you bomb your truck the stock senors only reads to 30-35 psi, so if you where boosting more you would not know because the sensor could not read that high. Is this true?????
Old 10-05-2006, 06:26 PM

I'm trying to decide between analog and digital as well. If I go digital, I'm looking at the attitude. One problem I see is that it doesn't seem to display trans temps and I want that feature. Am I seeing that correctly?

Further reading says the attitude monitors transmission slip. Is that the same as the trans temp? Sorry, I'm a newbie here...
Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still have yet to get my gauge(s), lame really, I have the funds just can't decide.

Tell you the truth, those Commander/XZT combos on EBAY (or DTR store if the price was right) are looking pretty good.
Decisions, decisions.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:55 PM

old school here. dials and needles.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:06 PM

I'm in Quads camp on this one! Hence the Dakota's.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:17 PM

Two birds, one stone. Edge Juice with Attitude. You can digitally monitor just about anything.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Banned

I like the analog guages. But it ain't my truck we are buying them for

My Sirius unit fades in bright sunlight, especially with sunglasses on, just sometin to consider. (I have it mounted to the right of my gauges) And the auidable alarm would have to be pretty loud for me to hear it
Old 10-05-2006, 10:25 PM

I prefer analog for several reasons. I don't like to have to focus on the EGT gauges for any amount of time. A quick glance is all I need to know things are where they need to be. I have the TST R49 remote and don't care for the digital readout. I'm ordering the steering column pod for analog gauges and one in teh SRT pillar mount.

As far as the lights and buzzers, I don't want that kind of stuff going off when I'm running the 1/4. On the track, I could care less what the EGT gauge is doing anyways. A quick glance at boost and EGT's as I cross the line is all I need.
I like to see how fast the gauge is moving versus how high it gets
Old 10-05-2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by gitchesum
I prefer analog for several reasons. I don't like to have to focus on the EGT gauges for any amount of time. A quick glance is all I need to know things are where they need to be. I have the TST R49 remote and don't care for the digital readout. I'm ordering the steering column pod for analog gauges and one in teh SRT pillar mount.

As far as the lights and buzzers, I don't want that kind of stuff going off when I'm running the 1/4. On the track, I could care less what the EGT gauge is doing anyways. A quick glance at boost and EGT's as I cross the line is all I need.
I like to see how fast the gauge is moving versus how high it gets
I don't think the needle can move fast enough to keep up with changes. And you know, those warnings can be turned off.

Quick Reply: Gauges, Digital or Old School?