3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
View Poll Results: Gauges, New style monitor or full pillar with "regular" gauges
Straight mechanical,........ go with what is proven
73.27%
LCD Display,......... get into the 21st century!
22.77%
Other,....... please explain.
3.96%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Gauges, Digital or Old School?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:11 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gauges, Digital or Old School?

The time has come for me to order gauges for the new truck

What better way to get started then some good advice from the guys that have "been there".
My instinct is to just get a full pillar of Isspros, or maybe the Optix gauges.
But, what about the attitude monitor or similar?

Thing is, I trusted my old gauges, never doubted what they were telling me. Do you guys with the LCD displays feel confident with what you are seeing in the way of numbers?

I assume the Isspro white faces are the obvious matches for my new 06, right? Is there anything else I need to know that is vastly different from the install on my 01?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Phil
Old 09-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really like my isspro gauges because they are simple to install, easy to read and look very good at night. hope that helps

brett
Old 09-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
analog all the way (old school) i really dont like digital, i think its good to see the needle, you can see how fast your egt's are climbing better for example.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Banned

Definately go analog. I had digitals and they were a piece of junk. Plus it's just cool to walk by a truck that has a pillar of gauges. They look so mean.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:09 PM

Digital...all the way. I've had my SPA's for 5-6 years now, and I'd never go back to analog. Nice to have the peak recall and the idiot light....I can keep my foot in it without keeping my eye glued to the pyro. I typically look at the first number and decide from three if I need to look at more.

TDR magazine did a test of several pyros a few years back, the SPA was the most accurate and had the fastest response time.

They're definitely spendy though......
Old 09-08-2006, 06:27 AM

I am a died-in-the-wool analog guy. Nothing digital for this kid. Heck, even the watch on my wrist is analog.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old Skool here.

MikeyB

Trending Topics

Old 09-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Chapter President

The advantage of digital is what has been said on here and exactness of readings. With my dad's analog pyro you can only tell 50* differences and it usually doesn't go fast enough to catch you eye. The Commander is right down to the degree. And if you ever put a module on it will control it. I will admit I like the look of a 2 or 3 gauge pillar mount though.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:13 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Duallydog
The advantage of digital is what has been said on here and exactness of readings. With my dad's analog pyro you can only tell 50* differences and it usually doesn't go fast enough to catch you eye. The Commander is right down to the degree. And if you ever put a module on it will control it. I will admit I like the look of a 2 or 3 gauge pillar mount though.
Here's the thing, the boss (aka accountant, aka my wife) says she wants me to get the same set up I had. She likes the look too, and I have to admit, I actually don't like the look of the monitors. Although looks aren't everything, they are something, right?

I really like walking up to get in my truck and seeing that full pillar, I got some nice compliments too, such as "Are you clear for take off with all those gauges?", and "What the "beep" are those things for"?

All things that make me grin of course.

I wanted to check here first, just to make sure I didn't get an overwhleming response to take a closer look at an attitude or commander.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Chapter President

Analog all the way!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 09:16 AM

With the attitude you get alot more than just 3-4 guages will give you.

One of the best features is the records feature. It will store what your maximums were on several different settings such as RPM, speed, engine temp ect.

It is very useful to reset it before a drag or sled pull...but if you dont do those things you may not care. I also like the tranny slip monitoring, speed monitoring, intake temp monitoring and you can set the attitude to alert you when you hit certain temps, speeds, boost ect.

As far as the digital being reliable...I dont think digital is a bad choice for reliability
Old 09-08-2006, 09:22 AM
P.J
Banned

All of those things Dan just mentioned sound interesting to me.........
What kinda of prices are you guys seeing on the digital monitors?
(Ball park so as not to upset Lary & company)
Old 09-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Give Larry a call on the Commander, they can be had for a fair price. I got a very early one, so it had a few bugs to be worked out of it, but it's workin great now. And you can plug it in via USB to update it and stuff. Price is less than a good set of analog guages if you are buyin a FP guage, but I doubt you need that one. You can order it with/without fuel pressure sending unit, so that alone will save you a lot.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:04 AM

I prefer the look of analog gauges but the compactness and features of a digital monitor. The monitor is also easier to check. One glance and you have 4 parameters right in front of you.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:00 PM

Analog all the way
(I don't trust digital electrical engineers, when it comes down to it, everything is analog )

~Rob

EDIT: The one digital guy I do trust is Marco from Madselectronics

Quick Reply: Gauges, Digital or Old School?