3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Gauge Install Completed - Interesting Results

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge Install Completed - Interesting Results

I had the pleasure of spending the day today with Scott (Proram) from Renegade Diesel, who installed gauges in my new truck, and the truck of Pushin' Number 2 (Fred).

Scott was completely professional, and has a terrific new shop he is setting up near Lancaster, PA. It was a beautiful drive out.

We installed DiProcal pyro, boost, and tranny gauges, in my truck, and pryo, boost, and fuel pressure in Fred's. The instructions provided by DiProcal and Geno's were OK, but there were a few snags.

First, even though the instructions say it is optional to reuse the stock A-pillar as a base, you MUST, otherwise the replacement triple-pod pillar will not fit properly. A cutting dremel is required to surgically remove the "oh-s***" handle, then some fancy finagling is involved. I must say, that I would NEVER have been able to handle the wiring of those gauges, instructions or not. Scott spliced 'em right up. Ran into a little snag finding "hot" wires; finally wired 'em right into the fuse box.

Scott drilled and tapped the manifold slow, with lots of grease, and we started truck and let her idle a minute or so. No shavings, no problems. Started to remove the horn to drill for the boost gauge, but then realized we should use the boost bolt, which we did. Only other issue was the fuel pressure banjo fitting location on Fred's truck, but I'll let him chime in on that. We used the governer test port on the passenger side of the tranny for the temp sender.

These gauges look great at night. Let me say this, get the 0-60 gauge, 600 owners. WOT, on the flats, I hit 30-32, with get this, max EGT of 1250*! Remember, this was just romping on it, not towing. Looks like bigger exhausts are going to be required on the 600 after all.

Again, kudos to Scott for his paticience with my mechanical ignorance.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:41 PM
Banned

Interesting gauge results Scott, I don't like the fact your hitting 1250* out the door tho. Guess that kitty needs to go and a better intake installed.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:02 AM

Actually you may not need the bigger exhaust. I have noticed on mine that when it is cold and get on it the temp will get up there real quick, but after she is warmed up good and I get on her she doesn't seem to get that high a temp
Just my .01 worth
Old 04-25-2004, 06:12 AM

Interesting gauge results Scott, I don't like the fact your hitting 1250* out the door tho
Brad, Fred and I found that interesting also. He was also able to achieve that number, and his truck and mine are identical, except he has 3:73s, and I have 4:10s. Fred pulls a big fiver sometimes, so he is certainly going to need something that breathes better.

And yes, I believe an intake and exhaust are in my future as well.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
These trucks were designed to pull their rated capacity as delivered. I find it hard to believe you would need mods to do so. There will be literally thousands of people pulling loads without even caring what their egts are.

Guess what i'm saying is I don't think stock truck egt's will be an issue. They thought the same with the Dmax as it was going over 1000 off the get go. They take them into 1400 and all the way to 1700 regularly with some mods.

Maybe once I get my gauges on we can compare the no cat 555 to the 600
Old 04-25-2004, 09:51 AM

Mike, I agree with you that alot of people don't know and don't care. We educated few know that is is possible, even on a stock truck, to get into the danger zone.

Maybe since the 600 is a higher-powered truck, the programming makes it a hot runner? I might be talking out my butt, but who knows.

That pyro gauge moves fast too, large variations in temp according to load.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by wexman
Mike, I agree with you that alot of people don't know and don't care. We educated few know that is is possible, even on a stock truck, to get into the danger zone.

Maybe since the 600 is a higher-powered truck, the programming makes it a hot runner? I might be talking out my butt, but who knows.

That pyro gauge moves fast too, large variations in temp according to load.
The fluctuations are normal heat can build quickly and it drops off quick.

I would think that like the Dmax and the 6.0 PSD, there are safety measures incorporated into the system to prevent excessive egt's.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:55 PM

Thumbs up Got gauges?

As Scott (swexlin) stated, We had a great day out at Renegade Diesel with the OTHER Scott (Proram) installing our gauge packages. We installed boost, pyro, and fuel press. on my truck.

A few things I learned:

Get professional help. If I hadn't had Proram there, I would have needed couch time with a therapist due to the model year changes that make installation instructions obsolete.

The 3 gauge A-pillar pod from Geno's is not overly engineered, if you get my drift. It cannot be used by itself. It will look like crap as the plastic is not rigid enough to hold the required shape. The handle must be cut off of the original A-pillar cover to use it as a form with the geno's unit used as a new "skin". Even then, there is an ugly black allen bolt that is supplied to hold all of this in place using the top handle screw threads.

The instructions for the banjo fitting that allows you to connect a fuel pressure gauge showed using the rear fitting on the pump. It appears that this fitting is the return on the 04.5, very little flow. Traced the line from the bottom of the filter, and it was the front one. I read 10 PSI at idle, and a minimum of 4 PSI at WOT. I wouldn't want to get much lower...it looks like ANY mods will require a bigger/stronger lift pump. I quess I should have gone with the 16 PSI gauge instead of the 30 PSI unit.

I should have also gone with the 60 PSI boost guage. My truck is totally stock, and if you go WOT with the turbo not spooled, it will overshoot and bounce off the 35 PSI gauge end-of-travel pin before the waste gate can open and settle on 31-32 PSI.

The pyro/EGT gauge is great and very fast acting. As swexlin stated, just messin' around on the way home empty, a WOT run for 5 to 10 seconds was 1250 degrees. Renegade Diesel wil soon have DPPI exhaust systems, turbo back, for the 04.5 trucks. I'm gonna get me some of that.

The one problem swexlin didn't mention was that the gauge lighting instructions called for tapping in to the Orange w/ White stripe wire coming out of the head light switch assembly for the dash lights dimmer. On the 04.5, there IS no Orange w/ White striped wire. In fact, the wires and pins are so small on the back of the switch, that I suspect that they go to relays and amplifiers before doing the real work of driving any loads. I will have to get a shop manual to see whick wire actually drives the dash lights.

Again, Scott, of Renegade Diesel was great at knowing all the little tricks that get the job done.

Thanks buddy. And let me know when the exhaust is available. We'll kill another Saturday under the truck!

Fred
Old 04-26-2004, 07:27 PM
tcr

WOW, YOU GUYS W/600'S ARE RUNNING MUCH HIGHER BOOST THAN THE 555 GUYS. I MAX OUT AT 25 PSI, I'VE HEARD THE SAME FROM OTHER 555 OWNERS. ARE 600'S TURBO/WASTEGATE DIFF?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the update. Looks like Genos could stand to spend some time installing their own products!

I had pillar gauges on my Dmax. The mount was ok except i found myself having to look around them once in a while. This time I may go with a different location.

Sounds like you guys had a great time.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:55 PM

Fred just added some very good information.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a WOT run for 5 to 10 seconds was 1250 degrees. Renegade Diesel wil soon have DPPI exhaust systems, turbo back, for the 04.5 trucks. I'm gonna get me some of that
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm leaning that direction also. Even thought these exhausts are pretty good from the factory, I think something a bit more freeflowing will really help lower EGTs.

quote:
The one problem swexlin didn't mention was that the gauge lighting instructions called for tapping in to the Orange w/ White stripe wire coming out of the head light switch assembly for the dash lights dimmer. On the 04.5, there IS no Orange w/ White striped wire

That's what I was saying above. I was COMPLETELY lost. Scott basically just did it by eye, and a little testing with the circuit tester.

quote:
should have also gone with the 60 PSI boost guage. My truck is totally stock, and if you go WOT with the turbo not spooled, it will overshoot and bounce off the 35 PSI gauge end-of-travel pin before the waste gate can open and settle on 31-32 PSI

Fred, Geno's might let you exchange that. Wouldn't hurt to call.

quote:
Thanks buddy. And let me know when the exhaust is available. We'll kill another Saturday under the truck!

Count me in.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by tcr
WOW, YOU GUYS W/600'S ARE RUNNING MUCH HIGHER BOOST THAN THE 555 GUYS. I MAX OUT AT 25 PSI, I'VE HEARD THE SAME FROM OTHER 555 OWNERS. ARE 600'S TURBO/WASTEGATE DIFF?

the turbo is different. larger compressor and electronically controlled wastegate
Old 04-26-2004, 09:06 PM

pictures

how about some photos
Old 04-28-2004, 08:05 PM

While under the hood tonight, admiring the beauty of this thing (am I really that nuts? ) I noticed something that I hadn't really though of before. The boost tune touches the valve cover when it comes up from the boost bolt.

How hot does that valve cover get? It was warm to the touch, and there was no mark on the boost tubing, but will that melt though over time? I'm thinking maybe I should wrap with electrical tape. Anybody have any experience with this?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:46 PM

wouldn't hurt anything if you did then you wouldn"t have to worry.

Quick Reply: Gauge Install Completed - Interesting Results